aft cockpit canopy

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

thereheis

aft cockpit canopy

Post by thereheis »

i am trying get a little shade on the back deck ,but i don't want to put the old style canopy frame work back on .do any of the faithfuls have some pics of theres they might share???all i want is for it to cover over the engine boxes and fold forward when needed to.but also have a 6' height on the deck area and box area,,,,any help ????thanks
phil
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Phil,

Keep in mind that any fixed awning, even one that folds up, is only as useful as the direction and elevation of the sun... I'm guessing that you are wanting shade for whoever's sitting/laying on the engine boxes. And that you really don't need it at all times.

Take a look at the portable Mantis Shades

Br,

Patrick
thereheis

aft cockpit canopy

Post by thereheis »

thanks cappy
thats not what i really had in mind ....

phil
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Had the same dilemma, looked at al the ideas and it turned out an old fashioned Bimini worked best.Used alcon ( I think) attachments-flush push button- top folds smack on the transom with hard supports aft.fishing purists frown but it is easily removed for purists to cook in the enormous cockpit we'all have if needed. Even leaves room aft for 4 rods to be up in the rocket launcher- fishin in the shade in June in S.Fla. :-D
Bill
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

The ones I have seen are bimini type connected by snaps underneath the bridge lip with bows coming from the pilasters or gunnels (based on size). Whether a full one or a short one, there has to be a cut-out for access to the bridge. When not in use and folded back against the bridge, the bow becomes a pain in the ass unless you access the bridge via those pilaster steps some of our older models have.
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

I've got plenty of room going up the ladder to the bridge and can even work a shotgun rod from the launcher on the back side of the rumble seat( or whatever it is) Try to get some pix tomorrow. Ya know with 8 feet aft of the bridge deck a 6 ft bimini gives a foot for the ladder and a foot at the transom. Still wearin 36's as long as they've got elastic
Bill
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

I had some poles made to fit the front most rod holders. The canopy clips to the rails of the flybridge and on a short pole I made to fit the flybridge rocket launcher. Made the canopy from Sunbrella. Mostly used as an anchor shade, but I have used it at cruise speed with no problem. I duck under the front edge to access the flybridge with minimal contortion.
Eddy G.
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

1965/2007 Bertram 31
randall

Post by randall »

yikes....what a beautiful boat.....
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

You should see his 20.
Tom

Post by Tom »

I really like Uncle Vics shade. Plenty o cover and retracts with a pull so the bridge can see the rod when hooked up.

Zero Cavity, you need to trade some photos for product. That middle picture beats anything they have on their website. Beautiful boat.
Viva la Presidente!
randall

Post by randall »

well since this thread is back....look at this boat...then look at the boat on the "pretty boat" thread. NO CONTEST.
pacific marlin

Post by pacific marlin »

Correct.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Randall,
Somebodys gotta marry the fat women.
Mack

Post by Mack »

Worst Marine has something called an "anchorshade" that covers almost the entire cockpit of a B31. It is essentially a square umbrella that not permanently mounted. Ties down on the corners- I use the stern and midship cleats. We have used it the last 3 seasons and it works great. Folds nicely into its own cover when you are done.

http://www.boatcovers.cc/cgi-bin/catalog.pl?item_id=207
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"