NE Rendezvous - II

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

gplume

NE Rendezvous - II

Post by gplume »

Greetings. Just wanted to post a breif reminder on this years 09 NE Rendezvous.

If you are interested in attending by boat and have not reserved a slip with Point Judith Marina then it is suggested that you do so ASAP. We will loose our prefential status at the end of this month, and then it will be first come first served. Once I get a better head count, I will post the sign up for the dinner. Good time is guarenteed. Look farward to hearling from you.
Flyer below;
Giff
Dug

Post by Dug »

Gif's right!!!!! Lets get back in the saddle!

I called to make my reservation this morning...yes, I have been slacking. If you know Bertram owners, spread the word. This year looks to have a fantastic facility, and unique surroundings, but best of all, good company!

Can't wait to see everyone, and again, spread the word!!!

Dug
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

nice to see the guys in the cockpit of phoenix and better yet harv had a good back.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harv

Post by Harv »

Yes it is nice to see the guys on Phoenix, but I didn't have a good back in that picture either. I am on the mend and hope to be in better shape as the days go by. Just look how I was slumped over in that picture. Also, I have taken off a few pounds and working on a whole lot more.
Harv
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

I'm rootin for ya Harv...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

we both are. get well soon i will make that bert fly count on it!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
gplume

Post by gplume »

Ok all, just wanted to let you know, time is running out. Point Judith Marina is holding slips for our group until this weekend, after that its open game, which means they open up the remaing slips to the general public, and its first come first serve. If you've every been to this spot, its really quite nice, and within walking distance to a real nice state beach. The facility is nice, and the deal is pretty good for our group at $2.00/foot....so don't snooze on this one. If you are interested in attending this years rendezvous, I suggest you make your slip resrvation this week.

Got any questions, give me a call...401-439-6405
Giff
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I'm in.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Dug

Post by Dug »

I think we are up to about 7 boats. Who else is coming!!!????

D
Mike Moran

post subject

Post by Mike Moran »

Put in my reservation ln yesterday Mike Moran CT.
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Dug, other than you is that it from the Boston area.? Are you leaving the fri am and what time??
Do you mind if I hang back I know the route but I may be traveling alone and good to have a buddy boat in case..

I'm trying to come..will know for sure soon. Any other B20's

Ray
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Been trying to get through to Anne for a reservation. Hopefully she'll call me back tomorrow. Walter
gplume

Post by gplume »

Ray-
Got your phone message....will call you again this morning. In terms of the timing, I'll be taking Friday off, and will get there no later than noon on Friday...maybe even Thursday night if I can get out of work early. The general area is anice destination, you won't be disaapointed.

Walter-
I'll give a call for you to find out what the story is. They should be all over this.
Giff
Dug

Post by Dug »

Ray,

My boat is actually kept in Mystic, CT, so unfortunately I won't be able to run together. I would have loved to however!

Sorry,

Dug
In Memory Walter K

Finally got through. Two messages, no callbacks, third call at 3:30 (they close at 4:00 pm) did it. FYI there's a $6 charge for 30 amp per day. Still a good rate. Walter
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Gif,
Was out of range all day, just received your message....I'll try to call you back in am..

Dug,
Mystic?? Why did I think you were in South Boston ?? My mistake!!

Ray
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Gif,
Met with Harry Babb down here in the Gulf, a true die hard Bertram nut, I extended an invitation to him to join me on my Dads Bertram. Harry and miss Joanne took time out of there busy lives to talk boats, share stories and show progress on Denada...had a great time and enjoyed a wonderful meal at the Galley...lets all chime in and get Harry up here...BH

PS... Capt Pat, You are welcome to join us as well...have plenty of room..and Harry and I spoke of meeting you "someday" as well..
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Bob
We really enjoyed meeting you and Brenda. I am considering attending the 09 Rendezvous at Point Judith and really appreciate your invitation to cruise with you....of course the Chowder and Clam Cakes would just be frosting on the cake.
hb
neil

Post by neil »

Hey guys is there any news on dinner yet. If so let us know.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Giff & Dug,
I will try and make the gathering in PT. Judith, just on Sat during the day. Driving up from FL on the 30th. Hopefully schedule will allow a day away from war dept. I'll be in touch.
gplume

Post by gplume »

Pete - We'd be glad to have you. Keep us posted.

Neil - I 'll get that posted in about a week, along with details on T-shirts. Keep watching for updates.

Giff
Giff
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

giff, dug going be a hell of a run but i am going for it! wedding at night in brooklyn , ny on friday and then jump in boat and go to PT.Judith by next morning from oakdale ny.does any body have any idea on time i don`t want to get there to late .i can cruise at 32 knots from montauk to point .judith if the waves are 4' and under just never made that trip and don`t know the harbor entrance do you have a vhf # you guys will use ? lets say about noon time saturday.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Bob,
I think you'll make it in about 4 hours.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bob, Straight easy shot. About an hour from Montauk. Maybe 1.5.

No obstacles. Unless you want to detour to the Oar on Block for a mudslide. Always a worthy detour!

D
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

That's why it takes four hours........
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thank you mike , dug .mike will you be there?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Dug

Post by Dug »

Mike,

Good point!

Hell it is almost worth it for me to detour to BI from Mystic just for the mudslides!!!!

D
neil

Post by neil »

capt patrick,will you be able to come to point judith,i have a hundred dollarbill with your name on it anyone else
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

I'll be there Bob.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

neil wrote:capt patrick,will you be able to come to point judith,i have a hundred dollar bill with your name on it anyone else
Thanks, Neil...

Doesn't look very hopeful that I'll make it this year. I would love to share the fun with you guys, but I'm in the short hairs of getting Hancock's B31 off to paint and gotta' make it happen as soon as possible.

Br,

Patrick
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

made resevations today, will be there saturday before noon what vhf channel should i be on to contact giff or dug .are there alot of marina`s on the river?is the marina identified with a sigh ? do they sell diesel fuel?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harv

Post by Harv »

CaptPatrick wrote:Thanks, Neil...

Doesn't look very hopeful that I'll make it this year. I would love to share the fun with you guys, but I'm in the short hairs of getting Hancock's B31 off to paint and gotta' make it happen as soon as possible.

Br,

Patrick
C'mon Capt. 2 or 3 days won't make or break the project now, will it?
Plus if possible, I can pick you up at the airport again. I would just need a place to shower as I am used to sleeping in the Land Yacht. Still need to see how my back is healing. Right now, to be honest actually doesn't look good for me to travel that far, but there's still time.
Harv
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Count me in. made my reservations friday...B dock. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
gplume

Post by gplume »

Bob-

I'll monitor channel 9 plus my cell. The marina also monitors channel 9. I beleive PJM has fuel, if they don't I am sure there is fuel available as this is a pretty busy spot in the summer for charters ect.. Basically, you can't miss the place. Headup into the pond past the commercial docks on your starboard. It's on your port side on the spit of land called snug harbor.

All-

Will be mailing you an update. Basically Friday will be open grill night. Saturday we will do a Lobster dinner on site picnic style. 1.5 Lb Lobster plus fixens for $35.00. Non seafood kids meals will be available for $10.00. The local fish market next to the marina will do the food. I will need to get a head count and $$ by the 29th or so. Look fo a mailing.

T-shirts are in the final stages. As soon as I get a final price, I will post it. Based on quotes so far figure on around $18.00 for a top quality shirt (Haynes, Guildan ect). For the shirts, I will need a head count by the end of next week to insure we have the shirts for the event.

I understand Harry Babb will be making the trek up from Alabama. Welcome Harry.

For you guys on the fence...theres still a few spots left. Jump in while you can.

All the best
Giff Plume
Giff
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

CANT MAKE IT BUT SAVE A SHIRT FOR ME.large.Please
Wayne
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Well....Ms Jo Ann and I are booked to come to Pt Judith Rendezvous.....I am looking forward to meeting you guys in person.

Now I am counting on the hurricanes holding off until we get back from Rhode Island.....nothing organized out there tonight...but what a difference a day makes

See ya'll soon

Harry
hb
gplume

Post by gplume »

Great news Harry. Looking forward to meeting you in person.

Safe travels.
Giff
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I am coming on friday, going to meet Neil off Montauk at 1030 or 11am and run over. Had to sign up late cause of devorce stuff. see everyone there!!!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

it would never be a party without brewster . glad you can make it
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
neil

Post by neil »

brewster junior will be happy that you can make it he is looking foward to seeing you,we are bringing jps kid i will call ya thurs afternoon
gplume

Post by gplume »

Brew/Neil-

Good striper fishing enroute off the sw side of Block Island. Been some pretty good size fish.

All -
Here is an image of the Entance to Point Judith. Fairly busy with comercial traffic. Chanel is along the west breakwater.

Will monitor channel 9. Depending on when I can pick up the shirts...that will determine my arrival time.

Good luck and safe travels.

Giff
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Gonna be a little late getting there, as I just found out that I can't leave until Saturday morning........
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

just made reservations on the ferry, driving up for the day, see everyone then.
charlie
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

mike i have a wedding friday night and will leave at 530am from oakdale .i could meet you outside your inlet around 730am is that good for you???
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

If you don't mind draging along at 23 knots........
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

mike between you me and the doorknob when i plotted the course from montauk (green # 1 at great eastern) to point judith the electronics exploded . way points were going wild from years ago .have you any idea what we could be going over at 39 degrees true course from montauk to point judith . passing off the north east edge of block.a little early but if were see small submarines breeching i am stoping--------------blue fin !!!!
23 knots is high idle but thats ok i am looking for fish i have 3 people other then myself how many do you have on board? john could board yours and give you a rest at the wheel if needed.no big deal 30 knots to 23 knots is about 1/2 hour . i will go fire up the gen and make us fresh coffee .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory Walter K

Bob- They took the bouy off Great Eastern a few years ago. The Green 1 on the chart in Montauk vernacular is called "Midway". Good Fluke fishing in the series of rips that run east-west, north of the bouy. See you in Point Judith. If my wife boards your boat and sees what you did inside, I'm in big trouble.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

walterk do you remember the days gone by when the pods of bluefin tuna could always be counted around block island .giants 300lbs on up were landed and brought back to montauk dock.oh well just dreaming!!!
don`t worry about looking at my interior it is not finish i have been busy and will wait till winter to finish it.i have giff number and will call before docking . i slowed the boat down another 2knots with that problem linkage so now i can go in reverse at 6 knots when docking.i hope i have room in front of boat at the slip they give me.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory Walter K

They got those tuna slow trolling mackerel daisy chains with their rods in the gunwhale holders. The huge explosion on a strike and the subsequent run would make it a struggle to get the rod out of the holder and onto the chair where a guy would be strapped in. Once the fish were landed, they'd radio Montauk and there would be a Japanese team waiting at the dock when they got back...usually before 10 am. Fish were sold on a daily basis by guys who didn't need the money. It was better for the species when they thought it was cat food and had no value. Walter
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

exactly thats why they kept the engines running all day. i fished with walter habb out of montauk marine. he put that 41 hat in reverse and nailed it and still the fish pull the full drag on a 130lbs penn international like it was a penn 30 . back at the dock they did a core sample then open tere briefcase entirely filled with 100 bills with a wraper at 5000 each bundle . lets see 500 lbs ----7500 dollars .the fish went in a fiberglass coffin filled with ice and off to japan air lines. wash the boat get ready for tommorow.had a 750 lbs along side when coast guard anounce ---quota filled. i actually bent over with tears in my eyes and kiss that fish goodby!!!well we really went out on a tangent there back to the recession where would you take your bearing for point judith as you round montauk point at great eastern coming from the west??
capt.bob lico
bero13010473