Help with ATV

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

Help with ATV

Post by Bruce »

Looking to buy an ATV that 2 can ride, not a sport model more of a utlilty model. Anyone got experience and can recommend a make and model?

Looking for around an 06 as there is no way on this earth I'm paying 8 grand for a new one.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Bruce - electric golf carts with big tires and a lift kit are super neat. Second hand ones sell around here for 2-3K. About all that can go wrong with them is the batteries, which with normal care last about 5 years and cost about 400 clams to replace all 6. The gas powered ones are trouble compared to te electric ones.

I have a regular electric golf cart with a cargo bed and love it...EZGO is the best brand. The ones with the mud tires and lift kits are pretty much un-stickable, and you can add a winch for short money.

UV
scot

Post by scot »

Can't go wrong with a Honda. A lot of hunters like the Polaris for the ground clearence and raw power. Some of the CC and HP numbers are off the charts these days.

UV's got a good point, a bunch of my hunting buddies have traded in their ATVs for lifted golf carts, with mud tires. Quiet...smooth, lots of space to carry man stuff.

I like the side-by-side ATVs with the little truck beds. Golf cart or side-by-side, it's nice to drive instead of ride.

If our ATVs get any bigger...they will end up being Willys jeeps...70 years to go in an evolutionary circle?
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Thats what I'm tryin to avoid is the large size ATV or Golf cart.

It needs to fit in behind the car in one trailer and fit behind the motorcycle in another trailer.

Riders would be front to back, not side to side.

Need something around a 450cc for pulling, don't need the 750cc models.

Hoping to pick one up before heading to Bowling Green/Indy in mid June.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Honda Four Trax Foreman. The new ones are 475 cc's, but you will find 400's or 450's on the used market that are in the 2.5K to 3.5K range.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

Bruce,
Kawasaki, Polaris, Arctic Cat made lay claim to the leading edge on go fast performance.
You can't beat a Yamaha or Honda for reliability and durability.
I still have an early 80's Honda Big Red three wheeler. One or two batteries, tires and a muffler in 25+yrs. Can sit for months but always starts right up. I've heard they actually float.
For pulling, pushing, towing, or dragging the Yamaha Bruin or Kodiak would be my pick in the 350-450 class.
All can be fit w/an aftermarket seat for a 2nd rider behind but in some states and provinces it is illegal to do unless the machine is specifically built and marketed for 2 up riding. I'm not sure about IN or KY.
Good Luck,
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bruce,

Here is my experience...

Honda makes a great machine. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Polaris also makes a great machine. They make a great snowmobile but have really become more of an ATV company as it is a greater market. We have parts on their machines too.

All the others are good, but I think those two brands are the best for your money.

And yes, the three wheelers float. I have to admit I know that from personal experience. Even when upside down...

Dug
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

Right now it's only a single.... But I start production next month with the ottoman side car that can carry 2.

http://vimeo.com/1803735

Send your deposit if your interested ;-)
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Bruce,

I have a Yamaha big bear 400 for 5 years now. Basic machine semi automatic with full time 4x4. Bought it used for about $600.00 from a local kid who rode it hard. Put a grand into it new seals etc runs strong, Pulls my fat a-- and a passenger up the steepest grades. I also have a plow and am amazed at the torque it has pushing snow...

Starts in 1/2 a turn every time weather 5 degrees or 80, if I rode it this morning or last month. Would buy another used one in a second.

Have a great mechanic who goes out of his way to help if you needed to talk to someone.

Heard the Honda are also great I have a couple friends who've had some trouble with their polaris.

Ray
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Thanks for the help. I got a better idea of what I need.

Just never had a use for one until now. Two wheels were always good.

Afternoon playtime

When the blower opening was cut larger to fit this engine, it left the body flexable just behind the blower.
I am fiberglassing longitudnal body stiffeners and also brackets with supports to the front body tree to help stiffen.

As you can see I don't enjoy glassing overhead
and having resin drip in my face. Smile my ass.

Last edited by Bruce on May 14th, '09, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bruce it is all worth it. just tell them the feeling when the chute opens and your head is peaking out your asshole!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Bob,
It actualy works the other way. Make sure you have the 3" seat harnass crotch straps fitting well and off to the sides of mini me and very tight.

Other wise when the chutes pop and you continue to propel forward at 240 mph and the straps catch you and slide inwards, its instant gelding.

I think it was Ron Caps I saw on last years end of season race where someone didn't strap him in right and after he stopped in the turn off he came flying out the escape hatch and was bent over in agoney.

He was traveling over 300 mph and I know that hurt.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Tunawish,

What type of problems with the Polaris? Just curious?
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Dug,
I believe they both had problems with the drive trains, front differentials i think not long after they bought them. Took them over a year of back and forth.
They had a bitch of a time with the local dealer/service guy also in nh.
But ended up with all new running gear after 18 months of screwing around

They bought them together so may be it was a bad day for production.

Ray
gplume

Post by gplume »

Bruce-

Don't fool around with 4 wheelers, buy a dirtbike. 10 times the fun.

Many good ones out there (as in the big 4 from Japan).....If you have deep pockets, KTM's are sweet.
Giff
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Giff,
Had my share of dirt bikes in my early teens running a 125 Rupp.

Need more comfort and utility at this point.

Hard to drape a 12 pointer across the handle bars of a bike.
nestorpr

Post by nestorpr »

A good used utility car from Club Car would serve you well, they come in electric or gas and you just can't beat the all aluminum frame, the only one in the market! All the others have painted steel frames and that's their weakness, they rust. Another option would be a used Club Car golf car with a rear cargo box also with aluminum frame. Here are some pictures:

Looking for my next boat!