30 vs. 31

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

timmy d

30 vs. 31

Post by timmy d »

I am looking to buy a new boat and thought you guys could help.

I really love the classic 31's, but also considering a mid eighties 30' Bertram.

What are the major differences?

Any advice or opinions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Timmy D.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Timmy,

Welcome aboard!

Totally different animals, apples and oranges... The B31 is a Hunt designed hull where the B30 is a Napier designed hull. The B30 is more comparable to the B28 & the B35, (also a Napier designs).

The B30 will let you in the door for significantly less money, but will never have any of the style or "Cult Boat" following that the B31 has.

I'll let the others add in the rest...

Br,

Patrick
timmy d

Post by timmy d »

Thanks Patrick

I don't know much about the bertrams, but after seeing a 31 in the water I must have one!

Is the B30 as sea worthy and rugged as the B31?
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Welcome Timmy,

As Capt. Patrick said, Apples to Oranges when you compare both. My neighbor had one docked next to me which had 300hp 6bta Cummins in which the boat ran good.
But as far as cockpit room the B31 has 4x the sq. footage for fishing as the B30 and as far as ride goes, hands down the B31 will out perform the B30 in my opinion.
Engine comparment access, the B31 is a dream to get to compared to the B30. Just a few things to compare, also the amount of fiberglass is a big difference between the two, and the B31 is almost bulletproof compared to the B30. But only you can decide what you like.

R,
DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
nic

Post by nic »

Timmy

I can't find Bertram30.com.

Go with your gut, get the 31!

Nic
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

There is a 30 at my dock and I helped him move his boat one day and I was shocked at how poorly it ran in the small seas that day. The two, as has been said, are totaly different. He thinks its as good but we all know its not a 31. And as DQ said there is no room in the cockpit at all, and less room to store fish to boot.
John F.

Post by John F. »

There's the cockpit of the 31, the "look" of the 31, and the ride of the 31. And, the 31 is one of the few boats that when (not if) you put money into her to upgrade or fix, the value of your boat will actually increase, at least a little. If you want a 31, get a 31...

John F.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Welcome Timmy,

I'd do the list thing, that is make one of what you want and then sort it in the order of importance. The 31 came in different models and configurations. Poke around here on www.bertram31.com as well as the yachtworld listings to see what's available and how some boats have been customized. One of my favorites, that I haven't seen in person, is an express for sale in NJ with a black hull and glassed windows & new motors. I think its listed for $50k or so. We're in a buyer's market now and don't let the ethanol scare you away from a gas boat in good shape, just allow $5-8k for replacing the tank and off you go. Also, there's some decent deals on boats which have already had some upgrading and repowering if they fall in your range they sell for between 50-75% of the investment it took to get them into that shape.

The 31 is an awesome fishing and day boat that will get you there and back. It's an ok weekender for a couple of people but gets small with more people or longer time. That's the reason I've got a B35 which you can steel them now if their gas powered.

Plan on making it to one of the Rendezvous next year and check out the boats in person.

Good Luck
JohnD