What's the legalities of "Y" valves?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scot

What's the legalities of "Y" valves?

Post by scot »

I know they are sold at every marine supply, but I have heard they are an EPA no-no. What is the law on Y valves, does it vary from state to state?

Besides the fact that it's not cool to introduce the other boaters in the marina to your floaties.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Scot

The overboard side needs to be locked so it can not be open as long as you are in Federal waters. Once you go beyond the boundries you can unlock it and pump overboard. If the Coast guard boards you they will check to make sure that valve is not open and can not be opened.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I was told that the diverter valve handle has to be secured in the position that sends waste to the holding tank while in waters where discharging the waste overboard is illegal, and using a simple electrician's plastic tie wrap is sufficient. I keep several of these near my valve so I don't have to worry about being able to locate one. All the diverter valves I have seen lately have the ability to be "locked", but the nice thing about tie wraps is you can usually find a way to lock almost any size or type of valve. I am always misplacing keys, and I wonder about some cheap locks in the damp marine environment maybe corroding and freezing in the locked position.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

I was also told the same about the tie wraps and was boarded not long after with an OK from the CG.

That was 5+ years ago, not sure if rules have changed..

Ray
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i missed all these posts until IR GUY mention it. i assumed you guys knew the Y valve goes AFTER the holding tank.all waste flows into holding tank and if you offshore you can dump it at your leasure. please don`t come to new york or mass. with a holding tank with Y valve before tank. thats could my grandchildren in the water . not a good way to make friends, what if you forgot? the other way you could be in harbor and the poop boat could do waste removal .just leave valve in off position ALL the time and when your offshore empty and shut valve and put tie on.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473