Avgas

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

coolair

Avgas

Post by coolair »

Hey,
I am new to the board, and just bought a 31, I was wondering if anyone has used avation gasoline, it doesnt contain ethanol, and is 100 or so octane, thought it could atleast be a short term solution until the tank could be replaced
Thanks
Carl

Post by Carl »

I think some spoke about it, can't see why it would not work.

Although if you plan to use the boat with any regularity it may be a real pain unless you have an airport on your way to the boat. Then figure in the extra cost of aviation gas and the work of transporting the fuel. Unless you can get a fuel transport truck to make a stop at your marina, but around here they want a minimum take of a few hundred gallons. Then remember if you need fuel in a pinch you'll need to find an airport or....

with my first tank of 10% ethanol fuel, I went from a boat that was running perfect to limping back to the dock, barely able to keep an engine running. New filters and a complete tune up and I ran a bit longer till the Push Rods started bending...
randall

Post by randall »

after i had the ethanol attack 3 years ago i flushed the engines with acetone...cleaned the carbs and have run on avgas ever since. works.
Classic Trade

Post by Classic Trade »

If you use 100 octane gas, could you change the timing and possibly increase gas milage to recouperate some of the extra money spent on the avgas? I had heard that this could be done, but not sure of the outcome.

Classic Trade
Carl

Post by Carl »

Classic Trade wrote:If you use 100 octane gas, could you change the timing and possibly increase gas milage to recouperate some of the extra money spent on the avgas? I had heard that this could be done, but not sure of the outcome.

Classic Trade
I'd run that past a Good Marine Mechanic before trying, AKA Bruce.

I think aside from early detonation they have the timing set where they do for good reason. I don't know enough to answer and don't recall the answer given to me by a good marine guy but what I got out of my conversation was you don't want to kill the top end to save a few bucks in gas.