Advice for leaky steering ram- boat in Kona-I'm not.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

barnaclebill

Advice for leaky steering ram- boat in Kona-I'm not.

Post by barnaclebill »

I just got an email from my mechanic in Kona that my ram is leaking badly, and he wants me to send a replacement. What size should I be looking for? She is a '65 vintage 31 with original hynautic steering, and I would consider upgrading my steering if it made sense, economically. Present rudders are fine for my twin cummins (we don't go so fast in Kona!?)
I have seen rams available from Granger catalog, and from a few ads in the current "Boats & Harbors" newspaper, but not sure what I should be looking for.

My boat is called "Bagger" (for ice bagging the big Ahi that we catch) and she needs some tender loving care, but is basically sound and my Kona home when I am there.
Right now bound for Panama and Valparaiso, but will be back in homeport, Charleston, S.C. around Dec 10 and would love to take the ram with me to Kona as a Christmas present for my wonderful boat!
Aloha, Barnacle Bill Crockett
God bless you and I pray that you are healthy and happy- Fair winds and following seas! Aloha
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I've seen different sizes(cc) and mounting.
What you have to do is get your mechanic to find the K number on the unit to match.
There are still some Hynautic cylinders around but after being bought by Teleflex, some have been discontinued and a suitable replace installed.

If the housing and piston arm are not pitted or worn badly, those brass rams can be rebuilt with a kit.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I have a similar vintage sportsfisherman and my Hydnautic piston is a K-19.
You have two options. To decide which one is best, first call Charman Enterprises Inc. at 800-247-6324 or 800-647-8449 and speak to their tech guy. They are very helpful and are accessable easier in the morning.
Option 1. Have your guy pull off the old one, Fedex it to Charman Enterprises Inc, 107 West Harris St. Eaton Indiana 4738-0496. They will rebuild it and send it back usually within a week.
Option 2. Order a new one from them...that's where I found mine. I wouldn't have known mine was a K-19 unil I sent it to them, although your conversation-description may answer the question. They are good, fast, fairly priced and honorable. I wish I could say the same for Teleflex who bought Hydnautic. Walter
barnaclebill

Steering Ram advice

Post by barnaclebill »

Thanks for the fantastic help! I got a reply from "High Tide Marine" that they have the original Hydnautic Ram available for almost $500 so I am going to look into the rebuild kit idea. I presume it would be O rings, seals, etc. which might be cheap, but the labor to re-work the ram might add up quickly. Perhaps the best idea is just to have my Kona mechanic send it to your referral rebuilder in Indiana and let them make an estimate, compared to buying a new one from them (hopefully for less than $500?)

I have emailed by mechanic about the K-19 number he should be looking for, and if he agrees to do the rebuild, I will have the kit sent to him asap.

(I noticed that there can be a picture with my forum input, so I will try to add a pic with a nice fish aboard my boat in Kona. Aloha!)
God bless you and I pray that you are healthy and happy- Fair winds and following seas! Aloha
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

No way in hell Charman would charge you anywhere close to that. I'm sure prices have gone up since May of 2003 but THEN the rebuild was $193.44 and the brand new K-19 was $269.59. Strangely, the NEW one started a slight leak in the fall of 2005 and they rebuilt it for me at NO charge. Walter