Drivesavers

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kevin

Drivesavers

Post by Kevin »

Anyone tried these? Basically a urethane spacer that goes between output shaft and coupler. Just wondering if they were a waste of money or not. Kevin
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

There is an active string of comments on Drivesavers being posted now on the BoatDiesel forum...

http://boatdiesel.com/Forums/Thread.cfm ... 344:840:32
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Thanks. Think I will pass on them. Sounds like a lot of aggravation. Kevin
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

As for my opinion, I don't care for them. I was on Doug's boat which had one coming apart while returning in from the first day of the Jersey Shark tourney. It caused a violent wobble in the shaft and trying to fix in 3-5's wasn't working and we had to limp in on one motor.

Bottom line, I think, was that they just couldn't hold up to 300hp of diesel in a Doug's B31, after all he likes to run her.

Maybe Doug will chime in.

br,
JohnD
RussP

Post by RussP »

Drive savers are not a permanent instaliton. I believe they have a two-year life span before replacing but I may be wrong. You also have no bond to the shaft and need to run shaft brushes or run a bonding wire from the tranny flange to the coupling to complete the bond. They work great on trawlers, sailboats or boats with alignment problems.
RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Good to know. On that note, here is the lowdown on the Steyr install. Cut out the plywood that surrounds the shaft on a B28. Did this to accomodate the ZF 45 gear. One engine is in and in the propper area, but not after switching to a Mastry rear mount to drop the whole engine down in the rear. Hopefully will not need spacers of any kind for the coupler. The turbo is a bout 1 inch from the rear glass/bulkhead. Making good progress with help from Sid from Steyr.....Thanks to Bruce for sending me his way. I will probably have a more detailed post on the install coming up soon. Thanks guys. Kevin
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Kevin,
Talked to Sid today and he is happy with what is going on.
I also told him i have a set of 4 blade props off a 28 for 1-1/8 shafts.
If their calculations have the 4 blades working better, they are yours for free.

He had hoped to do a sea trial on Sat but maybe not.
He invited me down, but my schedule won't permit.

Will wait to see the boat at the show.

You need anything or have questions call me at 561-622-1736.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Bruce, Tell you what, if those motors perform half as well the people involved with making things happen I will be impressed. Could not ask for a better sales rep than Sid. I think I made the right choice with your input on these motors. The tech will be here Wed. afternoon. Got one panel installed and the cable is run down to engine room. Just FYI, the big connector does not fit through existing holes for cables. Nothing sawsall and glass in the face won,t fix though. I will keep you posted on the install. Kevin
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I had already pointed that out to them in July.