New Cummins engine

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt. Mike Holmes

New Cummins engine

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

In January, 2007, Cummins will be introducing a 6.7 liter engine in the Dodge Ram pickups, although I don't know if it is to totally replace the 5.9, or will just be an additional option. It is listed as putting out 350 hp, and 650 lb ft of torque, with a "variable geometry turbo charger" and improved high pressure common rail injection. Supposed to be quieter and more efficient than the latest 5.9, as well as more powerful. Also designed to run on 15 ppm sulfur diesel or B5 Biodiesel.

Wonder if this one will make its way to the marine side of the business?
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Sonds like Ford's dreaded variable vane turbo!!!! Yuch!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Mike,
The variable turbo is like a variable pitch airplane prop.
At lower speeds you present a flatter blade to move more air. This helps to prevent turbo lag.
At higher speeds the blades flatten out.

Unlike a planes prop which is controlled in the cockpit, this design is centrifical in nature.
Past problems with this design has been carbon buildup leading to stuck blades that won't perform across the board.

But remember marine and over the road work at much different rpm/torque ranges and I have not seen nor heard of anything like that to hit the marine market in the next year or so.

That doesn't mean R&D isn't working on it now.

I think is has more to do with the pickup wars and Dodge trying to get a bigger market share.
Towing capacities are the big thing in advertising for trucks.
Capt. Mike Holmes

New Cummins

I was more interested in the displacement increase, didn't sound like a modification of any existing Cummins engine. Wonder what the increase in weight and diminsions will be? With Ford dropping to 6.0 liers on the powerstroke, this will give Dodge the size lead, which I'm sure will be heavily advertised.

Foley should switch parties. It's OK to be a homo Decrocrat Congressman, ask Barney Franks (and others).
ScottD

Child molester?

Post by ScottD »

I think the rap on Foley is the UNDER AGE boys he is after, not that he is gay. Just ask Jim Kolbe, Arizona's openly gay REPUBILICAN representative. I'm not supporting gay rights, but I don't want you to think they are only Democrate.

ScottD
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Scott, help me out, gay rights??? illegal immegrant rights??? my spelling sucks, rights?? what happened to my second amendment rights????

You know I'm only funnin ya!!!!!!!!!!!!
ScottD

I'm worried now

Post by ScottD »

Anytime I see Tim posting after me, I know its trouble, especially just after gay GAY RIGHTS ISSUE. Truthfully, I just don't want you Republicans throwing them all over to us Democrats. By the way, I took off the week of the FLL boat show, so I might drive or fly over. what's your time frame there? And my spelling sucks worse than yours.

Scott
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I suspect it might be an option for the super duty trucks.

My F150 Lariat with the 5.4 liter 24 valve engine can tow 8200lbs.
Does 18 city, 23 hwy with a bed loaded with about 1500lbs of tools and stuff.
When I went to Pats pulling my trailer with one Yanmar 4LH in the bed and the other on the trailer next to my 850lb bike I did an average of 16 mpg at 75mph. And those engine crates have no aero abilities to them at all.

That's why I didn't get the diesel option when I bought the truck.

Like a diesel in a boat, if you ain't workin it in a truck, you will create yourself problems such as premature carbon build up runnin back and forth to the store.
Last edited by Bruce on Oct 3rd, '06, 16:24, edited 2 times in total.
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Scott, my Dem buddy, flying in tue pm, home sun early pm. Think I've got reservations for thus-thru sun. Let me know when you can get over. Kathi wants to do fun stuff, so I'm sending her off on her own.
ScottD

FLL

Post by ScottD »

If I come, it will be Friday, I just saw that all the rooms at the flop house are taken, so I'll have to work that out, I ain't driven home the same day, for sure. I'll just play it by ear, but would like to get over.

ScottD
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mike: Ford is going to a 6.4 liter dual turbo design in '08.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Capt. Mike Holmes

Diesel

Rawleigh, THAT ought to keep the truck mechanics happy!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

No kidding!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
ianupton

But what to mate with these more powerful Diesels?

Post by ianupton »

The weak link in most of these powertrains is not the engine but the tranny.

I used to work at the plant that builds the Allison Transmission for the GM Heavy Duty pick-ups.

Simply put, the Allison can handle all of the torque and HP that the DMAX kicks out. In the Ford and Dodge trucks the engines utilize torque management (electroincally limit the torque and HP) in certain gears, throttle positions, etc.

So if Ford were to introduce an engine that has higher torque and HP than the DMAX, you really need to wonder if all the power makes it to the rear wheels.

Most of this is advertising...

Ian.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Heard they've gone away from the I-6 to a V8 with the new engine. Other then that the techs I work with don't know much about it. But sounds like it'll be shorter and thats good news for boat owners when the marinization comes out.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Capt. Mike Holmes

New engine?

I didn't see anything about the cylinder or block configuration., but I prefer straight six's. Shorter is OK, but I have enough trouble getting to the outboard side of my 6BTA's with the aftercoolers, etc. in place. A friend marinized 7.3 Ford International v8 diesels. Had to pull the engine to change a starter.
scot

Post by scot »

hey guys...just had to jump in. I would like to see a shorter v8 Cummins, would be great for smaller single engine boat installations. Perfect for my 25B single straight shaft repower....but I hope it will live up to the I6 reputation. I have a 210hp 6BTA in my 97 Dodge 2500. This old basic Cummins simply will not die. 227,000 miles and nothing except a water pump has ever happened to the engine, plenty of towing power...I must say it's certainly not a quick truck! Is there any time frame on the marinized package?
Capt. Mike Holmes

Orange?

Scott, I went to high school in Buna, down the road from you, many, many years ago. As we were waiting to play a district championship football game my senior year, a reporter from the Orange Leader walked by in a bright yellow sportscoat. This paper had been giving us very little respect, instead rooting for our rival, Orangefield. As the guy walked by, one of of team members shouted, "There's the guy from The Lemon Liar!"

We won district that year.

No word of a marine Cummins V8, if the new engine is a V8, but I still don't like V-blocks in boats - hard to work on.
scot

Post by scot »

Mike,

I travel a lot and I'm always running into people that have either lived in my area or grew up here. I ran into a lady on the 33rd floor of a building in Houston that grew up in Groves (PNG)...30 years later she was still wearing bright purple on Fridays. Some move on and some never get over it. Several years back I spent a lot of time in the Freeport area...I must say I like your area a lot better than Buna or Orange. The deep water is much closer in for starters. I run out of Sabine Pass and have the mis-fortune of having the longest runs in the Gulf to find good, deep water. If you have ever looked at a bottom chart you'll notice the shelf's edge is 100 miles out of Sabine...*&^#

Scot
Capt. Mike Holmes

Scoot

Well aware of the long run from Sabine pass to good water., better here. Then again, more boats fishing out of here. My son lives in Orange right now, going to school at Lamar