Discovery Channel/ USS Oriskany

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt. DQ

Discovery Channel/ USS Oriskany

Post by Capt. DQ »

For anybody thats interested in watching the sinking of USS Oriskany as a Artificial Reef in the Gulf Of Mexico it will air on the Discovery Channel, Sept. 27, 2006, C.T. 7:00pm & 11:00pm but check your local listing for your time zones.

DQ
Capt. DQ

RE: Time Change Airing

Post by Capt. DQ »

Just received a new e-mail from Division of Marine Fisheries / Artificial Reef Program of a different time change on airing of the USS Oriskany Sinking on the Discovery Channel.

New airing times as follows:

Wednesday- Sept. 27, 2006 8:00pm EDT

Thursday- Sept. 28, 2006 12:00am EDT

Sunday- Oct. 8, 2006 1:00pm EDT
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Saw this tonight. Pretty cool......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Alot more work than you would think to sink that carrier.
Is was cool.
DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
ScottD

Oriskany

Post by ScottD »

Pretty cool show, I think I'll give it a year to soak, then come up and dive it a few times, and mix the trip in with a fishing trip on the Entertainer.

ScottD
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Growing up in Va Beach as a Boy Scout (yea, I was) I saw those things being built. A lot more to sinking one than you'd suspect unless you want it to land upright. Why didn't they just hit it with an iceberg, it worked for the Titanic.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

That would not have cost the taxpayer enough money Mikey!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
ScottD

Oriskany

Post by ScottD »

I believe they estimate that the local revenue from the reef from tourism will be over a million a year. It was sunk to be a money maker, not a looser, if that comes true only time will tell. They will get money from me though when I travel up, (motel, food, charters, etc.). I hope it works out, as I would like to see more like it.

ScottD
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Nice to see an instrument of war giving life.
Should create a beautiful reef.
A night dive would be cool on a wreck like that.

Go to the web site and click on the video featuring navy divers.
Those rebreathers they are using are cool.
How much?
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Right now the Dive shops and Dive charters are running at full speed and lovin it.
It is really awesome to see the Oriskany light up on the bottom machine, come next year the fishing should really start picking up better, not that it hasn't been good already when the bluewater is in close.

It is really a awesome Dive for the ones who get to go down. I'll keep to trolling on top for me, experience is the key for this dive and make sure your equipment is in top notch shape. This is NOT! a dive for rookie's just starting out.
Bruce, don't know how much they are but can find out, x-brother-in-law in the Navy at Panama City Naval base where some of the real High-Tech Dive equipment is being experimented with, goes on there.
R,
DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Went to some of the dive sites and it seems they have all gotten together and set common prices.
2 tank recreational dive 145.00.

Rec divers limited to 100' but will still get to be at the flight tower.

Flight deck at 150'

Bottom at 212'
100' visability.

Flight deck considered a tech dive but if you have an advanced ticked with logged dives to 130', no problem.

Nitrox will give you more time but will have to decompress.

Having dove to 150', its not a problem and nitrox extends your time. Other mixed gases can extend time more but will still have decompression stops.

First 130' dive I did was a shark dive off Juno beach and got narc'd pretty bad and started chasing after the gray reef tip sharks trying to hand feed them.
Thing was I had no food other than my hand.
Luckily I ran tight on air and had to start the d stops.

There was a reason I rode the short bus to school.

I'll be there next spring.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Glad you still have all your fingers Bruce!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Bruce,
You are correct, the flight tower is where most of the dives do take place 70-80' range, then visabilty being good you can see most of the carrier. There has only been (1) death so far, a man that had a heart attack earlier this year, in which a stent was put in around March or April I think.
The Man did not listen to the advice of his doctor's, plus had stop taking his Plavix and other medications, went on a Oriskany dive in August and completed the dive, upon his return back to the boat, gear off complaining about fatiqueness, died of a heart attack on the deck of the boat, while others on the boat doing CPR to revive him to no avail.
The official ruling was not label a diving accident. But Officials really push safety to divers, not wanting any bad PR, but being stupid like this guy is what they do not want to see.
R,
DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"