Wiring Diagram

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bill Mckinnon

Wiring Diagram

Post by Bill Mckinnon »

Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the 31. Someone sent to me but comp crashed and lots it. Am getting ready to start repowering and it owuld be helpful.

Thanks

Capt. Bill
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Bill,
Send me your mailing address, I have original wiring diagrams from 1969, I got them back in 1978 from Richard Kidd. I tried to scan them but the resolution was not good. I made copies they are pretty dog eared but are still readable, 2 pages of drawings and original Bertram wire color codes.
Pete Fallon
tds8268

Post by tds8268 »

Pete,

Do you have any other copies? It sure would be handy while working on my 1970.

Dan
Bill Mckinnon

Wiring Diagram

Post by Bill Mckinnon »

Pete

Would be great. My e-mail is bill.mckinnon@hotmail.com

Am getting ready to repower so it will be a great help

Thanks

Bill
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Bill,

I think Pete was asking for your snail-mail address, as he was unable to successfully scan a good e-version of the diagram. He has hard copies.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I have a scanned copy from my 1966 FBC. Give me your emails and I will send it. Bill, yours is in your inbox.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
tds8268

Post by tds8268 »

Rawleigh,

Check your pm. My email should be there.

Thanks much!!
Dan
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Guys,
If you send me you snail mail address I will U.S. mail the copies to who ever wants the wiring diagrams. The resolution is not sharpe enough to read when I scanned them on my PC. Let me know, maybe Raliegh's copies are better than mine.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Dan: It is on the way!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Bill, If you're starting over, forget the original diagram and start from scratch. I did and it was a pain in the a#* but worth the effort. So much has changed since the first 31 was launched. Different wire, more electronics, etc. Take every bit of the old stuff out and recycle it. Copper prices are up, way up.
I, fortunately, had the Faithful to ask questions and it made it all possible. Mostly I had Chiles Cridlin to call. He had just done the same thing and was a huge help.
We're here for you, go for it.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

Mikey,
I got your message. I'm out in Lebanon Virginia doing another disaster recovery drill for our Commonwealth.

Do you still have the drawings that we worked on? I bet I still have them somewhere.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Chiles, I kept everything. Looks like next week at the earliest for even a phone call.
Have a weekend.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
gplume

Post by gplume »

You guys get what you need? I have each view scanned in seperately plus the overall if you want it.

To be honest, the schematics were of limited use other than to find out what the wires I had hanging all over theplace used be for. I rung out each wire individually and penciled somthing together.

Anybody got any suggestions for software to make your own schmatics? I have Mentor Graphics Dx Designer at work that is about 100 times too sophisticated for a simple wireing job. Looking for something simple and easy to use.

Giff
Giff
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Giff,

Doesn't get much simplier than AutoSketch by AutoDesk...

Br,

Patrick
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I'm with Mikey on the forget the original on a repower or major rework.

Much much simpler to run new circuits with upgraded tinned wire.

A must when reworking the finest boat ever built to make it that much better.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Mikey wrote:Bill, If you're starting over, forget the original diagram and start from scratch. I did and it was a pain in the a#* but worth the effort. So much has changed since the first 31 was launched. Different wire, more electronics, etc. Take every bit of the old stuff out and recycle it. Copper prices are up, way up.
I, fortunately, had the Faithful to ask questions and it made it all possible. Mostly I had Chiles Cridlin to call. He had just done the same thing and was a huge help.
We're here for you, go for it.
Mikey, those copper prices tanked recently. Several 55 gallons drums of brass turnings usually generates few thousand from my scrap guy, we just got 400 bucks for it.
Dug

Post by Dug »

I absolutly concur about starting over. Forget the original diagram. Run the new, tinned wire to where you need to.

Forget the copper pricing anyway, it has completely tanked, and you don't get much for wire anyway. Unless you are homeless or a drug addict, and then it is apparently worth your while... Mikey, somehow I don't think you are either, no worries!

Don't bother with a 40 year old diagram that documents old wire that has probably been moved by the past owners anyway...

Dug
luis

Post by luis »

I use for home and I gonna use for doing all the redoing electrical on the boat a program called ProfiCAD Home. Its easy with lots of already made symbols. the web page is http://proficad.com/ and for home (non commercial) purposes is free. You only have to download it. Have a good manual in pdf format and there are lots of libraries with items to join.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Right on the copper prices, same on the price of damn near everything. Looks like depression with deflation.
Didn't use a cad program, drew by hand. Had to start over a few times but not that time consuming. once you have all the items you intend to install scoped out draw your batteries, AC and DC panels and your shore cord and surround with the boat items and fill in the blanks. Wire colors and size are important in the schematic. Additionally I drew three systems separately for clarity, AC, DC, bonding. Once done it was easy to see. I did drive Chiles bats with my seemingly eliminatory questions but I'd rather ask a "dumb" question than be in the middle of the Chesapeake and ask my self why I didn't ask. If it would help anyone I'd be glad to copy my crude drawings and snail mail them, but your equipment may be different. Good starting point.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
gplume

Post by gplume »

Captain Patrick-

Thanks for the tip,,,got a copy of Autosketch from one of the other engineers at my plant that uses it just for writing specs.

My two cents on the wireing-
I left the 2 original Bertram harness in that fed the bridge, and removed every thing else (as in 35 years worth of add on everything.) My rationale was this...the Bertram harness's said "Bertram" on them (something about OEM what can i say), and the wire , all tinned Cu was still in great shape after cutting it back(one Monday morning non tinned wire on one harness from the starboard side ...go figure). I cut everything back, and terminated everything with a T strip (both ends). From there I fed instruments and ignition and switches on the bridge, and engine and breakers on the other end. The wiring diagram was just used for nostalgia...as i rung everything out. I kept the ignition feeds lined up with the original diagram and a few other wires, but did not let the OEM diagram dictate what I was doing becasue I could not find any matches for the original wire in terms of color combination. After that, I added all my extra wires, and brought robust grounds along for the ride as well so I could set up local "ground strips".

For wire, I used bestboat wire.com....I think I got turned on to these guys from this discussion line. Inever totalled everything up, but I bet the wire was way cheaper than my time.

At the end of the day, it came out pretty good and still preserved some of the original elements.
Giff
Hookshurt

Post by Hookshurt »

That's a great source GP. Those prices are great compared to what I have paid.