Starboard fabrication...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

IRGuy

Starboard fabrication...

Post by IRGuy »

I am rebuilding my 33 FBC and would like to use Starboard or an equivalent material for some exterior items. (Boxes, lockers, etc) I have built a few things from it and understand there isn't a glue or adhesive that will bond it structurally. I have a full woodworking shop and can perform almost any common woodworking operation.

I have seen a small torch that is supposedly used to heat this material so it can be bonded, but my experience with this technique is that the material deforms before you can heat it evenly enough to get a bond.

My question is does anyone have any fab techniques for this material that does not result in exposed screw heads? I am considering dovetail joints cut a little loose with 4200 as a captured adhesive, but this will be both time consuming and messy! I can deal with both issues, but are there better techniques?
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Capt. Mike Holmes

Adhesive?

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Starboard is basically polyethylene. 5200 will ahere to it.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

In my experience 5200 will not bond to starboard. Can work like a gasket between pieces but won't bond directly to it well, peels right off.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Azek is a product that will glue to itself and is paintable. For boxes and non structural items it isn't a bad choice. Azek is softer then starboard and will dent if hit with a sharp corner, however unlike starboard Azek is fillable and paintable. Just like wood without the rot.
It's primary use is for exterior facia boards and trim, it comes in 1/2" thickness and you can buy it in sheets 4'x8' or so or lengths of 4",6" etc widths.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Peter

Post by Peter »

Also consider Komacel. It is basically the same as Azec, but is available in more thicknesses and sizes.

Any exposed edges do need to be finished off somehow, but if you are used to woodworking I'm sure you can come up with 50 different ways to do that in your existing shop.

They also sell stuff called FiberBrite which is basically sheets of fiberglass.

http://www.harborsales.net

Peter
CMP

Post by CMP »

5200 will bond to Starboard, but not for long. The only real way to fabricate with Starboard or any other plastic is to weld it. I bought a plastic welder on ebay made by a company in Massholeachusetts called KamWeld and have played with it some. Here's a link to the new version of the one I bought http://www.kamweld.com/html/model_44-aw_cart_0.html It takes practice, but when done right, works like a charm and you can get real good results. The welding rod is pretty inepensive, so if yer interested in learning a new thing and not real interested in getting ripped off by yet another marine fabricator, it's worth it...

CMP
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Thanks one and all..

I might consider getting one of the welding kits. It would seem there might be a small business building things for boaters out of Starboard or similar stuff if it could be made to look nice. I spoke at a boat show with a guy who owned a smallish company that sold and installed nav instruments.. he said he made custom panels, pods and boxes out of Starboard and screws.. I think I will look him up and have a talk with him.
Frank B
--------------
randall

Post by randall »

not a big fan of starboard...but before i knew better i fabricated a bench side out of it......to hide the screws i counter sunk them then hammered in plugs cut from scrap with a standard plug cutter bit on a drill press......four years later and not one has fallen out and you cant see them unles you really,really look
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

According to my supplier and fabricator, Starboard has to be hot air welded. They do it all the time to make all kinds of things there in their shop. That's Cape Plastics in Ft. Myers. I've tried 5200 on it and it does not last long for adhesion. Good for a gasket however on backing plates for thru hulls etc. Hot air, that's how they do it. Dave K
Keep Fishing...
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

I worked in the PE industry for 5 years, as others have said it has to be welded. PE is nearly inert and is often sold on the basis of its chemical resistance. It is welded with what looks like a hot glue gun and PE rods. Both sides are heated and then a bead is welded between them.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Thanks everyone. I will experiment and play a little and see what I want to do. Good info.. not exactly what I was hoping to hear.. but it is what it is.
Frank B
--------------