Freeze dried food

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scot

Post by scot »

But he wants some long term storage food stuffs.
Bruce it sounds to me like he is getting ready to bug out if the election goes badly before they can grab his money, and hand it out to the homeless guy on the corner.

Sorry Bruce & Captain Patrick, I tried to stop myself but I couldn't.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Bruce,

Mt. House and a few other similar companies based around Salt Lake used to make Long Range Patrols (LRP) for the military. We used them in Mt. Rescue efforts and in lots of our Rescue training exercises.

They were not as good as home cooked, but they were a lot better than the canned rations. And, they had a very long shelf life. All you needed to do was follow the instructions to a "T" and have on hand some fresh water or a method of melting snow. We would have to boil the water and add it to the packet.

The LRP menu was a little limited, but the civilian menu was a lot larger. Another thing we liked about them was that they were light and fairly compact since they were freeze dried and vacuum sealed.

We had a jump mission in the interior of Alaska years ago. It was way out near McGrath, Alaska. After we took care of the patient, I knew we were going to have to spend the night since the weather was closing in, so I had the Rescue bird drop our "house keeping kit" that had our LRPs and camping gear. We fed our LRPs to the survivors and the few native neighbors and they went bananas over the stuff.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

They're probably still selling MRE's for a dollar all over Louisinia....no?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Ahh..LRRPs long range recon patrols... We had them ..4 different ones or so . I liked the spagatti & ground meat.. There was a potatoe one too. Im surprised they arent more around here in the "world"..
One thing bad about them was the extra water you had to hump. besides the13 quarts for my three days,just for drinking.. so I kept the lrrps to a min.
The C's were pretty bad tho.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Bruce, the wife and I used to do alot of camping and such. We really enjoyed the Mt. House products. Leaving tuesday for 10 days elk hunting and have a bunch of the product. I always keep some on hand at the house and boat just in case. I think its a good way to go for his needs.
Viva la Presidente!