Rare Bertram on Ebay....

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Buju

Rare Bertram on Ebay....

Post by Buju »

I know that the majority of you guys are very aware of whats on ebay...

But, I'd hate for one of the faithful to miss this if interested. It's a really rare B28 Baron...bare bones, no power, a blank canvas so to speak. I think a speed junkie should get her ( listening Bob Lico? ) and bring her back to life
Low starting bid ( the same seller also has a B20 begining at $500, with some 4*8 sheets of divinicell thrown in ).
Anyone have any history on these? Strange design, the strakes are a bit different than other Bertrams, almost have a Potter / SeaCraft resembelance.
Says they're in Indiantown FL...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/28-Bertr ... 06.c0.m245
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

This guy is as full of crap as a Christmas turkey... Bertram, of any flavor, it ain't. Bow rake is too sharp, beam too narrow, strakes wrong, crown on transom too high, etc, etc. Also he says the mold is available, so it's a totally different species what ever it is...
Buju

Post by Buju »

I dunno Capt...

I see what you're saying, but the few pics I've seen of a 28 Baron all look just like this boat. Definatley a departure from a normal Bertram hull we're all used to.

Here's one, with real bad photos:
http://www.iboats.com/sites/eglobalyach ... 42951.html

Here's the add from '69:
Image Image

This may be the real deal....

Rocket? Any input? You still buddies with the guy on the Donzi site thats got one? What ya think?
DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

Looks like a 70s built Scarab to me. A friend had one that looked exactly like it with a single handrail on the middle of the deck. Hardly any cockpit to stand in and hatch on the rear deck covering the engine made working on them a real pain. Useless
Kill Em All ......Let God Sort Em Out
Carl

Post by Carl »

hmm...thought the bridge on the 31 FBC was cramped.

Was that Bronze or Nibral wheels on those drives??? Thats gotta be a 1st for me.

Cool pics though, I had no clue they went that route, interesting.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Interesting! It does look like your ad, but I notice he is a "0" feedback seller, so watch out!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

Its goin to take at least a couple bottles of poly-glow to bring back that gel coat back to a decent shine. Maybe a touch of Rejex.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

The seller also has a 20 foot moppie for sale----if you click on the pictures--it looks like he has more that one 20 foot in the shed.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Rocket

Post by Rocket »

This thing has been around for a while, It is not what it appears to be, but it is a splash of a 28 Baron. One would have to see it in person to judge it's worth.
chris pague

Post by chris pague »

That is not a Baron of any kind. Add to that he can not spell Baron
Chris
Buju

Post by Buju »

Have you seen it in person Rod? What is it that rings the alarm bells &makes you sure it's not?
Besides the fiberglassed "windshield" it looks dead on... to me.
Even the shot from inside the hull shows the green-dyed polyester & glass layup, like a Bert hull.

At first I thought it was the blue "Speedmasters" B28, then I saw that it's STILL for sale in FL...it's been listed at least three years.

Then I found this: http://www.bertram31.com/bb/bbs.cgi?noframes;read=59324
And I'm wondering if it is the boat that Lynn (thread starter) is talking about. Both mention something about getting it from an estate- which don't mean shit, but it's possible.

Oh well, I just thought it was a good opp. for someone to pick up a helluva rarity. Now I kinda wanna run up to Indiantown and check it out.
nestorpr

Post by nestorpr »

To me it looks like the hull from the racing hulls Bertram made in the 70's, long and sleek and with the fiberglassed "windshield" to boot. Maybe this guy made a mold from an original hull and made this hull from it. I used to have some pictures of them but not anymore.
Looking for my next boat!
randall

Post by randall »

wonder if he still has the original 8 track tape player...the ad is a hoot
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

With the exception of the fiberglass wind screen it looks just like the picture in the add. Look at the strakes and the intakes aft.
Regards,

Doug L.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Ok--who's the retired Chairman of the Board, jaded heir, or deposed monarch who's going to bid on it. Ad is somewhere between funny and nauseating. Randall--got any 8-tracks left? I threw all mine out--one by one out the driver's window when even the matchbook couldn't get them play.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

oh c`mon buju now i am accused of being a speed junkie!!!! i get no respect.(from the picture Godfather) what have i done to get this disrespect?.just because i feel a 31 bertram is perfect at 38mph and a 20'bertram should run at least 70mph.getting back to the issue the serial numbers should be berg follow by 4 manufacturers numbers ok it was built prior to 1973 (first year of embetted manuf. information in trasom)then i could rely on my racing days i posted a real bertram raceboat many years ago on this site perhaps some of you remember.rocky aokie had it custom made at the factory (dick bertram signed in person)38' i navigated it for the freeport race around mid seventies.strakes were the same as 31bert first totally kelvar boat at the time.the 28 cigarette i built was ten times this so called bertram.i put my money on capt patrick---------out
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Randall

I have some 8 tracks laying around the basement if you want them. I will let them go cheap. Might even have an old ampex player/recorder.

Talk about rough shape. Tough to say but I don't think its a Bertram either.
randall

Post by randall »

i remember the first time i saw an 8-track....its hard to believe now but it was a quantum leap. the next one was the walkman......but that was only great for me cause i could listen to music while i powder skied. semi religious experience............especially with the right additives.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The ad says its has the hull mold available also for sale so it can't be anytype of original unit.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Randall, do you have the "Soul music" for it to surround you with? My limited experience with 8 tracks usually ended with an eaten tape!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

My favorite 8 track player

KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
randall

Post by randall »

jp...classic.

when i lived in utah there was a company called astral-tunes. i had one . it was a tape player and a small motorcycle battery in a padded , strapped thing you wore on your chest......when i went to work one day one of the waiters had a walkman.......my first thought "thats it for astral-tunes"

i never actually owned an eight track
Dug

Post by Dug »

JP! Awesome!!! I used to have one of those... like a Simon game too.

Wow... memories!
Kurt

20 bert on ebay

Post by Kurt »

Anything I need to be careful of on that 20 up for bid? If I'm looking at a complete tear down/rebuild I guess the bugs will show themselves or crawl out on their own. :shock: I was considering making it a center console since it seems it is only the bare bones of the boat. That leads me too...

If you came across a bargain boat (25 Bertram express cruiser) how bad of a person are you (am I) to consider cutting the top (the cabin) off of it to turn it into a center console? I've always been a wooden runabout fan and to keep the value there it's usually a "keep it original" thought process. But, it seems most folks restoring Bertrams, Seacraft, Makos, etc make them like they want. I want the boat Bertram didn't build or build enough of a 20-25 center console. This post is already too long...since most of you guys have been here/done this I'd like to see what you think. Thanks.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

No Problem. You said it yourself, Bertram didn't make enough of them. A 20 or 25 center console is very desirable. Go to it! Walter
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Kurt

Take a look at Boatdiesel.com. They have a post on 25 that looks pretty nice. Probably just what you would want to do to one.
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

Thanks Tony. The 25 site has a couple of guys (I think they're here too) that have done some amazing work. Just looking for that flea market find for pennys on the dollar. Like my 401k now.