Capt Mike Holmes

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mikey

Capt Mike Holmes

Post by Mikey »

Capt Mike,
Have some info for you that may be of interest. Need your email address.
Mikey
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Capt. Mike Holmes

Address

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Mikey, email address is : Captain31@ev1.net

Might have one of your UVI pictures appear in my column in next month's (November) Southern Boating.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
raybelanger

Post by raybelanger »

Mike I thought you have cummins truck motor conversions in your boat. If so I would be interested in any info? I'm considering repowering my Bahia Mar. Can't afford new or remans. Any info appreciated. Ray
Capt. Mike Holmes

Cummins truck engines

Ray, I have a pair of converted 6BTA's, the old 12 valve mechanical engines that were replaced by the 24 valves with electronic controls in 1998 or 1999. It has taken awhile to get them going right, not the engine's fault. Right now I am running 2:1 gears with them on 1.5" shafts, pulling 22 x 24 3 blade Nibral props. My 1962 express is a heavy vessel, and I top out at just over 25 knots at 2800 rpm. Could probably tweak the props and get a little more, but this is fine. Cruise 20 - 22 knots, engines run great. The guys that helped with my conversion are no longer in business, but Lee Holt in Angelton, Texas, is converting the 24 valve engines, and close to being able to market a conversion for the new common rail engines. He does excellent work, and the installations I've seen he did were very professional. If you are interested, I'll look up his number.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Mike,

Hope you don’t mind but I’ll throw in a plug for Lee & Richard. Their web site is www.hsmarine.com if anyone wants to take a look at what their marine conversion kit for the 24v Cummins engine looks like.

DanielM
Capt. Mike Holmes

Thanks

Daniel, - thanks. If I couldn't find Lee's card, I was going to ask you to post that information. How is yoour boat coming along?
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Mike,

The boat’s been going slow. I’ve been too busy pounding the local chemical company out of every last dime of overtime. Heck of a trade though, I get a little of their money & they get all my life.

I’m going to get back on the boat this weekend. Now that decent weather’s here I plan on spending more time on it. Hope to splash before spring.

DanielM
Capt. Mike Holmes

ZSpalsh

Good luck with it. I've haven't done much with mine, either. Had a tornado hit our house Mother's Day, still living in a camper in the front yard. Had back surgery the week after the storm. I'm retiring from my day job effective next Friday, boat work and fishing become high priority items then.