Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tom

East Long Island Storm

Post by Tom »

Heard you boys had a good blow Sunday. Any damage to speak of?-Tom
Viva la Presidente!
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

We had Montauk's "Blessing of the Fleet". Had a cockpit full of guests enjoying themselves. Randall and his wife among them. Took our turn and got blessed by a priest, minister & rabbi and proceeded to the inlet about 1-200 yards away. It had been a sunny day up to then and started greying in the north. We were halfway out the breakwater when my wife said it was raining. All of a sudden...and I mean seconds...it was black, big bolts of lightning, wind gusts and driving rain. I had to come out of the breakwater in order to turn around. Boats were everywhere at every angle. Each of us were flying decorative flags, which only acted like sails and made maneuvering more difficult. I managed to safely get my wet crew and boat back in the slip and waited out the rain. Upon coming home, we discovered we were out of power. Both Randall and I lost a couple of trees. Fortunately, Randall's joining us worked out in his favor as one of his trees fell where he normally parks his new truck. It was a doozey! Walter
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

I am sure your wife was tending to guests every need as she did when we were with you, and all felt safe, you at the helm and her with the guests is a winning combination! I think she should keep you. I am SICK to think we might miss Montauk this year, our friends have lots of other commitments and it all costs more every year. Hope to see you & Brew this Sept.
Rob C
"sometimes you go 8 sometimes you hit dirt"

Rob C
randall

Post by randall »

well one good thing to report is that my "boat tent" which i am so fond of survived the storm no prob. i spent some time the other day kayaking around accabonac harbor rounding up kayaks blown away from the general store rental beach. some very big trees came down around springs...it looks like there was one or two 80 MPH gusts from the west. the good news....about a quarter cord of firewood.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I had a 60 foot tree take a lightening hit. Split from top to bottom, and still standing.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

thats a 2 for 1
randall

Post by randall »

mike ohlstein wrote:I had a 60 foot tree take a lightening hit. Split from top to bottom, and still standing.
the way things happen at your house im surprised it didnt take out something. the one at my house missed the honda by 3 inches.