David S - Raising Overhead

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

David S - Raising Overhead

Post by CaptPatrick »

Somebody ask about raising the height of the overhead in a B1 SF/FBC not long ago. Pretty sure it was while I was fighting with my computer...

If it was you or you remember the thread, give me a heads up here.

Br,

Patrick
Last edited by CaptPatrick on May 6th, '08, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Patrick,

Here's the post from the Cleaning Cabin Intereior thread.
Posted by Davidms.........
OK, so now the original formica looks spiffy thanks to your suggestions and my elbow grease. Now what do I do about the corroded handles, pulls and other handware?

By the way, has anybody raised the ceiling in their cabin? I popped my head up into the space between the liner and the bottom of the flybridge. There is lots of room up there! What is the best way to utilize that space?

Thanks,

David S
Harv
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Thanks, Harv!
David S wrote:By the way, has anybody raised the ceiling in their cabin? I popped my head up into the space between the liner and the bottom of the flybridge. There is lots of room up there! What is the best way to utilize that space?

Thanks, David S
David,

There are several of us who have raised the head liner, mainly in the Flybridge Cruiser model. Rigino Cabrera was the first I think and it's a somewhat standard modification on the FBCs he works on. Both he & I do it as a one-off project, while it sounds like Carl at Elite Marine may have a molded piece that he uses. I haven't seen Carl's conversion...

On Jim Bailey's "Buddy Boy", I built in, faired, & painted the exposed area of the elevation. It worked out OK, but I wasn't real thrilled with the final result or the hatch layouts...

On Patrick Hancock's SF-convertrd-to-FBC, I'm using a similar technique to the one used by Regino: Creating a valence which is held in place by a lower ledge that screws into the original headliner combing. The overhead panels are supported around the perimiter by the valence. All of the various overhead parts will be upholstered...

Image....Image is hot, click for others

Unfortunantly, the lead in images to this phase of construction are stuck on my dead computer for the moment...

Br,

Patrick
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Patrick

It for sure was not me that asked about the cabin ceiling height..........I would be more concerned with the Cabin Door Width (Ha Ha)........especially after a dinner of fried fish and hush puppies

Harry
hb
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

1965/2007 Bertram 31
davidms

Post by davidms »

Patrick,

Thank you for the information. Having seen interior pictures of Buddy Boy and other refit 31's, I know there is lots of potential for the cabin of an original 31. As you know, probably more than anybody else, all it takes is time and money. Right now, I am in the gathering ideas phase. You have given me lots to think about.

Thanks again,

David S