unanswered pm's

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnCranston

unanswered pm's

Post by JohnCranston »

Sorry guys, my software won't allow me to retreive my pm's, so, I haven't answered them for months on end. I kind of feel like a heel sitting on the couch, drinking a cool one, while my wife reads off all of these unanswered questions. Sorry guys...Please post me something on the main board or call 281-353-7830 or 713-906-0842 and I'll respond everytime.
Ernest, my wife sent you a pm on some grounding material that we talked about a few months ago. If you know what I'm talking about, please respond on this thread, as it would make my life alot easier than having to deal with my wife.
Thanks.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

John:

I bought a roll of bonding strap material for like $50.00. Length unknown. I knew at the time, but just don't remember now.

I used an unknown length to repair/replace the cooper bonding material from the rear engine bulkhead to the transom and back. Probably something like 18 or 19 feet - could be more, could be less, I was not measuring it at the time.

I now have 5 or 6 coils, each about 8 inches around, of bonding strap remaining. I dug it out of the garage this weekend.

If you need a simple repair of damaged section, it might work. If you are looking to install a complete, updated bonding system that runs from tip to stern along both the port and starb. stringers, obviously, it is way too short. I think you will need right at 50 feet, assuming you only go as far forward as the aft end of the v-birth to make the forward loop and complete the loop around the gas tank in the rear.

If you can use my scraps, let me know. My regular house in town is basically on the way from your regular house to your boat.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Ernest,
Thanks for getting back with me. I need to make a complete re-do on the grounding issue. Matter of fact, I gotta whole lot of re-do's coming up. I appreciate you getting back with me, but, I'll give Mead Metals a call, and get her done with one long piece.
Thanks again, John.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

John,
I had trouble finding a company that still sold a grounding strip. Found it in a couple marine suppliers’ catalogs but when I called they no longer carried it. Found an industrial lightning protection firm that had rolls of 1” copper strip that were thicker than what I was looking for but they worked. I can find the company name if you have trouble finding what you need.
Are you & Pam going to be around HAW this weekend? I’m going to be down there Saturday. If you’re going to be around we could try & stop by.
DanielM