Boat lift

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Geaux Deep

Boat lift

Post by Geaux Deep »

What brand and size of boat lifts are 31 Bertram owners using at open docks? How are the bunks arranged for the Bahia Mar?

I am in no-mans land at Port Mansfield to get a haul out. I'll can spend $5500.00 for a brakeless trailer that I will only use 3-4 times a year plus I have to find a place to store the trailer.

With a lift I loose the mobility of a trailer but I can keep the Geaux Deep out of the Laguna Madre saltwater, I can wash her whenever I want. I should get access to the bottom when I want. No more stray voltages/currents. I can store the lift where it is.

Any comments, advice, and recommendations appreciated. - RH
ScottD

Boat Lift

Post by ScottD »

RH, I have a 20,000# Boat lift US lift which I think is as good as any. Came with 1 1/2 H.P. stainless motors and backing plate, bronze bull gear, stainless pipe and cable winders, it's all aluminum and you can get it with or without the aluminum bunks. I went with wood bunks (wish I went with the aluminum, the bunks float the beams) which I cut to fit the angle of the hull and put them directly under the stringers. I wouldn't get caught up in the direct drive stuff a lot of venders are offering, the worm/bull gear with belt drive is fail safe and dirt simple. Just this last week I took it down and had the outer piles moved out 4' so I can get both the boats on there (from 18' wide to 22" wide). That lift was the best money I spent on Bolero, bottoms always clean, don't worry about small storms and I know its not going so sink while I'm away. Any info you need just let me know.

ScottD
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

I have a lift master on my B28. No bunks, just straps. If I had to do it over, and I had a deep storage location, I would go bunks.

But, love the easy of it hanging in a sling. Peace of mind in all but the worst of storms.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

I, too, have 1 1/2 HP motors, 220 volts. Two factory alum 16' bunks pre-cut to 23 degrees with hard rubber pad. Bunks are on O/S stringers.
Like Scott said , hoist offers peace of mind.
There's a wealth of info (cable size, piling size, etc..) in brochures by diff makers.
Dave Kosh helped me alot in this regard.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Andre/Scott

What size cables do you have on your lifts?

Is your rig setup using more than a 2 part line lift?

I'm assuming that your winches are the 8500#??

Do you use more than 2 of these motor units??

Harry
hb
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Harry,
As I recall, the cables are 3/8" SS.
Double block/4 line lift
Are you referring to the worm gear that turns the pipe the cable wraps on? If so, I do not know.
2 motors/2 switches, belt driven, one wraps front and one wraps back. Switches/motors work independently, allows you to trim boat.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Thanks Andre
That's exactly what I wanted to know. I rigged a way to lift DeNada in my boat house using chain falls and straps...........just for quick lifts......changing props........installing thru hulls etc......my way takes a little over an hour.........I'm liking the idea of ELECTRIC motors and less effort.

Harry
hb