Can we fit 471-TAs in a '63

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

nic

Can we fit 471-TAs in a '63

Post by nic »

Anyone got any knowledge of Detroit 471-TAs in a 31. The measurements look too big, but I'm not sure and the engines are a plane trip away.

The guy selling them tells me they measure Length 1530mm (60ins), width 830mm(32ins), overall height 920mm (36.22) and height above top of mounts 700mm (27.55ins) but I can't find any reference to a 31 with 471s, only 6V53s which are probably shorter and wider, so I'm thinking they don't fit.

Nic
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

They will not fit in a 31.

UV
CMP

Post by CMP »

As a previous victim, er, I mean owner of 4-71 TA's, I can say yer lucky they won't fit...

CMP
Capt. Mike Holmes

471's

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Too tall, too wide, way too heavy.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
nic

471s are out

Post by nic »

Thanks guys, we'll keep looking

Nic
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

CMP might know of a pair of 6v53n's RTO's with less than 200hrs on frame out majors. I'm not sure I'd put them in a boat(if they wern't already there) But Capy manages to run at around 22knts with them. They are nasty oil sling dump truck motors though, and you'll need a exmeption from the EPA, and acess to UV's oil stock to keep them going. Other than that, they are great motors.
Thudddddddddddddddd
nic

Stuff & engines

Post by nic »

Guys, we are being reluctantly dragged to the painful decision of spending real money to get real engines, which we know and you know is the right thing to do - it just hurts. Thanks for your suggestions.

By the way, you might guess from the post times that we are in that country that got "gelded in 96" and one of the "draconian" laws here is that second hand diesel engines that don't meet EPA are an illegal import -Customs can confiscate them, so that rules out the Cummins re-mans.

Thanks for your nice thoughts about Steve Irwin, he was bigger in the States than here but everyone was shocked and saddened, with a new respect for rays.

Oh, and we only spell thud with one d, but that's just one of a host of differences between our countries.

Nic
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Nic,
Does Australia have its own set of EPA rules or does it mirror the US?

Are you considered commercial, cause the rules are different over here between commercial and pleasure vessels.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Nic,

G'day! The reason for Timmy's nickname and all the "d"s behind is that's the sound that he made hitting the ground after a failed attempt at drinkin' down our Uncle Vic in Ft. Lauderdale a few years ago. Kinda' echoed when he hit...

I can see where Steve would've been a bigger market item in the US. The Discovery Channel has a way of promoting second to none. I was certainly a big fan. The ray thing was a total fluke on one hand and a typical pushing of the envelope by Steve on the other hand. He was probably swimming only a few inches above the ray to get dramatic scenes for Bindi's flick.

Good luck on your engine delima & keep us posted Mate...

Br,

Patrick
nic

G'day

Post by nic »

I read a local story yesterday that two or three years ago the lifesavers patrolling at Coogee Beach (Sydney, next to Bondi) found a snorkeller underwater, pulled him out unconscious, full CPR, doctor on the beach, ambulance within 3 minutes, St Vincents inside 15 minutes where the only apparent injury was a cut LH side of chest, which they explored to find extensive bleeding, they drained it and found the tip of a stingray barb in the guy's chest, with a tear in the heart. They did open-heart surgery, washed the poison out, put him back together and he survived. No doubt the tabloids will track him down and we'll get the full story. For Steve though, he pulled it out and sounds like he was 50 minutes from EMS. I've fished around the Low Isles, they are a long way from everywhere.

Bruce, we've got a whole Federal set of rules and then State as well. We could or should just lift the rules out of your book but then a lot of people would be unemployed. Marine is generally under the radar, if it's existing anything goes pretty well, but if its imported (as all our marine engines are) then you get noticed. Same rules for pleasure but commercial gets noticed with annual inspections.

Cap'n, I used to live in Ft Liquordale, I think I heard that noise.

I'll keep in touch as we progress.

Thanks guys, love the site.

Nic
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Thuddddddddddddddddddddd
CMP

Post by CMP »

HIccupp...

CMP
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

Nic,
I see in another thread that your still pondering the 4-71's

Previous posters (all more knowledgable than me) have said that the 4-71's won't fit.

But, that said, they have a b31 in my area with 4-53's. I've been aboard the boat over 15 years ago so I really don't know or remember what modifications if any were made to fit the engines.

The 4-53 and 4-71 are the same footprint I think--- someone will be along to correct me if they are different.

The B31 with the 4-53's is a dog for speed... less than 18 WOT but I've been on comparable sized boats with 4-71ta's and they moved nicely.

If I see that 4-53 boat in the next couple of weeks I'll go aboard and report back to you.
nic

Living in Hope

Post by nic »

Well yes and no. I'm sure they don't fit, I guess I was just hopeful. I saw a pic of the other engines and they looked like 6V53s to me. I'm pretty sure the 4V53s are two pots per side, so they are much shorter than the 471TAs, also at a dry weight of 1,800lbs they are just too much metal.

Thanks for following through.

Nic