Yanmar 315 or 330 Cummins in a 31 fly bridge ?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

SC31

Yanmar 315 or 330 Cummins in a 31 fly bridge ?

Post by SC31 »

What's the best choice?
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

I don't think you could go wrong with either. I have Cummins in my 33 and I think they're great. A lot of guys also think their Yanmars are great. I would probably choose whichever one is more easily serviced in your area.

Good luck.
Regards,

Doug L.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Both are more HP than you need.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Says the guy, who, with about 10more hp, might have beaten me, once
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Love My Yanmars 6LP @ 315hp
1965/2007 Bertram 31
nic

Post by nic »

We love our 6lpa 315s which were built in the U.S. You will be looking at different models now, (some deal with BMW?), I understand ours were exported because they no longer meet EPA, and I understand the 330 Cummins are new engines too so I really would check out both new models carefully before committing, or check out the Cummins 6btas remans from Tony Athens. Bruce will know.

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

You can still get remanufactured Cummins at a great price. Depending what you want to do the 270 or I believe the 315 would be priced well under the new ones. Tony Meola
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Depends where your at. If you gotta run them slow cause of rough water I'd go Cummins every day. If your gonna keep them on top where they can breathe right Go with them high revvers.
On the other hand Cummins stock is up over 125 per share. Kinda think they're doin somethin right.
Don't think you can go wrong with either as long as the service in your area is good.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

I went with the 330 Cummins.real heavy boat w/ tower..
soo pleased
Wayne
scot

Post by scot »

Cummins....IMHO
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Vince Luciani

Post by Vince Luciani »

I repowered last year with the Cummins 315 hp Remans. I couldn't be happier!
Dug

Post by Dug »

SC,

Once you cut through all the opinions, which are nothing more than opinions, you will divine your answer. You need to answer a couple of questions for yourself. Here goes.

Which brand has the best ability to be serviced in your area. That is a brilliant answer that a couple of guys hit on before me in this thread. Where I am in Mystic, CT, there is virtually no solid Cummins service network or dealer. Independent or otherwise. I have friends who have Cummins there, and they can't get service. Easy answer.

How do you run your boat?

What are the normal conditions?

Do you like the rumble and vibration of diesel or just the performance and fuel economy. The Cummins is your traditional, heavy rumbler of a diesel, and a great engine to boot! STAY AWAY FROM THE 4BTA HOWEVER!!!!!!!! The Yanmars and from what I hear the Steyr's have all the benefits of being real diesels, but act like gas in that they are smoother, quieter, less smoky, and so on.

You may not need that much hp for the boat depending on how you run her, and what your normal seas are.

Reality is that both set ups are great packages, and you won't go wrong with either. I have 240's and they give me a solid 24 knots with 11 gph all day long. Can't beat that with any package from anyone. But my engines are no longer available in the configuration that I have. They are now common rail, electronic etc., and are even more efficient! But Bruce would be more informed on the specifics there.

If you need to run 30 knots, and your boat can do it in the waters you run in 75% of the time, then maybe you can use all that extra, and justify burning the extra fuel.

Those are the facts as I see them. My opinion is I love my Yanmars. I do like the cummins. But that is not what is in my boat.

Dug
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

For the record, Cummins is at $43.12 per share, but that's because its split twice in the last year! The un-split price would now be $172.48 per share! Wish I still owned some, but I got out after I nearly doubled my money at the first split.

Also, my 6BTA's don't "rumble" and are very quiet.
Regards,

Doug L.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Doug,

Right, but yours are under the floor in the cabin. And have you fired them up yet? Just kidding...

It is a bit of a different animal in the 31. Though I know the guys love them, and I have not spoken ill of them at all. They are a great engine. Just a matter of service access and personal preference.

Dug
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Dug,

Good point. Yes, I have fired them up. All last season in fact! Couldn't be happier. As far as noise, I was on a 31 with 4 cyl Yanmars in Anguilla a few years ago. While I thought the boat ran very well, I also thought the Yanmars were somewhat noisy. They seemed to rattle quite a bit. No smoke or smell though.
Regards,

Doug L.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

thuddddddd wrote:Says the guy, who, with about 10more hp, might have beaten me, once

Ten more feet of track and you'd have been a blurr in my rear view mirror.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Dug

Post by Dug »

Doug,

You were on the blue one, right? It has 170's. You would be right. More noise than actual performance.

The other one, Miss Daisy has Cummins in it. Or at least did. They were older, and I guess from what my parents said, one blew up last year and she was on the hard in March when they were there.

It was slow as hell, 17 knots tops, and you needed hearing protection!

But that was not indicative of Cummins 6bta's. That was a boat with little sound protection, with older engines of undetermined model. Only brand.

D
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Blue it was. This was back in 2002. I was also surprised that the paint (which they said was 10 years old) was in as good a shape as it was for the age and location of the boat (i.e. tropical sun).
Regards,

Doug L.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Bottom line: Both are great engines and either would be good. 330 is generally considered a little too much HP for the boat without prop pockets.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

mike ohlstein wrote:
Ten more feet of track and you'd have been a blurr in my rear view mirror.....

pithy off colord reply not posted, due to possibly haveing kids and
or Chris Frank reading
Last edited by thuddddddd on Jan 18th, '08, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dug

On was on John Jackson's boat with the 270's and his boat was no louder than my 454's and he did not have any sound proofing in the box's. The performance with the 270's would blow mine away. Tony Meola
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Tony,
You thought John's was quick and quiet you should jump on ours for a drive. Little more horsepower little more sound down...... Course you'll probably have to have the inaugural shot and a beer before the drive.
My money is on Cummins every day, I'd rather hit a rock with a sledge hammer then whittle at it with a tack hammer.

Did I just see Thud use the word Pithy?????
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

In Biscayne Bay and in Naples I get good water a lot and I get to ENJOY cruising @ 26 or 28 Knots thanks to my Yanmars 6LPs. And ALWAYS before a I do a long stop I push 31 knots @ 4000 rpm :P
1965/2007 Bertram 31
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

JP

I have a pair of 270's on order. I considered the 315's but the dealer convinced me it was overkill. What sold me on the remans was the price. The 315 Yannies were going to be 25 a side and I had to redo my dash. The Cummins will come in somewhere around 19 a side and don't need to redo the dash. Now all the other work is the issue. Tony Meola
scot

Post by scot »

You guy's are doing pretty good, how about Ford - Chevy - Dodge....that otta stir the pot enough.
Scot
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Oh man Scot your killin me.

Bought an 04 F250 with the dreaded 6.0 diesel over the Ram with the beloved Cummins cause I just don't like the Ram styling.

I figure after intakes chips exhaust and so on ones gonna crap the bed regardless.

Its either Dodges transmission or the Fords heads. Screw it its only money. I'll make more. Someones gotta keep this economy goin.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
scot

Post by scot »

I have a 97 Dodge 2500 4x4 with the 12 valve mechanical 6B Cummins (basically the same engine as the 6BTA marine) 261,000 miles with nothing major....a couple of water pumps, thermostat, a shut off solenoid, etc. Good engines.

I really don't know much about the new 5.9 Cummins in them today except they will make 700hp with very little effort.

The 6.0 Powerstrokes????? The Cummins into Fords conversion is becoming popular, see "how to" articles popping up everywhere.
Scot
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Scot, you need to spend a little more time behin the wheel
01 F250 4x4 -310,000, no motor work. 2 front rotors, 1 front wheel hub--------4th tranmission
scot

Post by scot »

Timmy you should notify Ford, that's got to be a record.
Scot
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Nah, that Ford 7.3 liter is a 600,000 mile engine all day long. I have one and I love it. I also have a 6.0 liter. It seems to manufacture about a quart of oil avery 3500 miles.

Think Ford will fix it?

Not a prayer.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

If I ever buy a 31 and redo for myself, (Pat I expect you to kill me first) I would go with either the Yanmar 240 or Cummins 250. Plenty of power for the 31, great fuel usage and long life engines with care.

Without the prop pockets, you can't swing the wheel on the 330 to take advantage of the hp.
I have been ony able to get a few knots difference between the 330's and the 315's.

The 315's work well because of the higher rpm which requires a smaller prop than the same hp at a lower rpm.

While the 240's aren't available to US customers cause of emissions, there are ways around that.

And last, speed is not the idea here. I'm out on the water just about everyday and very rare is it that I get to run a boat in the 30' range over 20, 22 knots without beating myself to death.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I love my Yanmar 315s. The only time there not great is when I have to go 14-18 knts in six footers. The pyrometers show its a lot more strain on them. Like its been said, They like to go fast so they can breathe.
RussP

Post by RussP »

I have to agree with Bruce 100%. I can't remember how many times the go fast CC's and smaller Sport Fish boats would follow us in the inlet at 16 to 18 knotts and after they are in protected waters the horse power comes out. Most of the time when the fishing is good it's blowing and even making 12 keeps you on your toes. We pull Wahoo lures in the 12 to 18 knott range to make use of the time.

RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Bruce is absolutely right. I've seen too many high HP B-31's that cause a wake coming into the marina and can't troll slow enough to catch Striped bass in our waters because at 650 rpm, they're going over 5 kts. Our waters in the NE will beat you to death beyond 22kts except on rare occasions and running all day far below recommended cruise rpms is not good for the engine. To be sure, trolling valves can correct the slow-troll thing, but Bruce's choices seem to be the ideal for optimum performance/operational costs. I am sure the higher HP engines command a better resale price as they not only say more power, but usually say newer. Just my opinion. Walter