Looking for help with Bertram article

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

mikeywriter

Looking for help with Bertram article

Post by mikeywriter »

Hi, I'm a writer for Boating World and am doing an article on the history of Bertram. Instead of doing a boring time-line, I was hoping to get some quotes of Bertram owners as to why they love or loved their Bertrams, and what some of the favorite features were. Did you do any memorable trips or bag any huge fish from your Bertram? Any help would be appreciated. I can call you if that's more convenient than posting this online.

Thanks,

Michael
MICHAEL
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Michael..

The first quote I ever heard about Bertrams was probably the best I have ever heard...

"When you buy a Bertram... nobody ever asks you why!".
randall

Post by randall »

everyones favorite feature is the same....its an indestructable (by water any way) blue water battering ram that can take far more punishment than you can.......and it looks good doing it........
chris pague

Post by chris pague »

Title to your artical. THE BEST BOAT EVER BUILT Now that is not BS.
Chris
Capt. Mike Holmes

Best boat

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

But, it has been used before.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Welcome Michael,

Here are some of my thoughts.

One thing that I think sets the brand apart from others is that it is an off
shore blue water boat first and condo second, not withstanding some the newer and larger models. Also, that Bertrams from 20' to 60+' are usually a benchmark for ride and fishability. Heck, my 35' sportfish has as much or more cockpit space than any other production boat under 45ft.

At this stage in my stewardship, I boat mainly in the Chesapeake and am restoring/improving my boat. Work and family precludes my off-shore adventures.

But here's a story I like to share.

In 2006 I took my 1972 gas powered B35 to Atlantic City for the Bertram Rendezvous, on the tail end of a tropical storm. It was our fist time traveling from Baltimore to Atlantic City. During a stop over for lunch in Cape May. I asked the Dockmaster of South Jersey what he thought about the trip to AC on the outside. His reply was something like "You got a Bertram right? I'd go the outside, it may be a little rough but beats the hell out of running the ditch"

Well we tried the out side and shortly after clearing the inlet jetties we were in 7-10ft seas, head seas that is. I turned north to see what lay ahead for the 33+mi trip to AC. Well it was a big quarting sea kind of like roller coaster ride. The Boat didn't seem to mind much it climbed the backs and surfed down the front of the waves. Then we'd plow in the back of the next wave and parted the seas. Amazingly little to know water came as high as the flybrige. It was at that moment I understood the Bertram ride and why so many love the boats. I never felt unsafe, just uncomfortable so we turned back and stayed the night in Cape May. After all this was a fun trip and just the wife and I aboard. The next day the seas had calmed to 3-5' and we had a pleasant trip up the Jersey Coast.

I'm now nearing the completion of a repower to diesels and more hp. I can't wait for the 2008 Rendezvous.

I'm a newer Bertram owner, only had mine for 7 years and didn't really know much about them before hand. Some here are 2nd generation owners and have been around them all their lives. Recently I spoke to the owner of a 1967 20ft Bahia Mar who has owned the boat since 1968! He use to keep it in Ocean City MD and ran as far as 20 mi out on good days. He's been through 3 motors and replaced the gas tank and transom. The original gelcoat still shines!!

br,
JohnD
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Michael - most of us have Bertram 31s, thus the name of this site. The 31 was the original Bertam, first introduced in 1961 and in production until 1983. In 1986 Bertram made 23 Silver Anniversay B31s....they had planned to make 25, but only could get orders for 23. In total we think about 1,860 of them were made, and they reamin in service all over the world to this day. You will see Bertram 31s in every serious fishing port world wide. Tropic Star Lodge in Panama has probably the largest fleet, some 16 boats that fish 6 days a week, 10 months a year.

The B31 has the most beautiful lines of any boat ever built, period. On top of that, the original Ray Hunt designed deep V hull with the lifting strakes makes the boat handle in any sea like a much larger boat, and in particular, there is no other boat that will handle a following sea like the B31.

And the 31 is a strong boat. There has never been a reported incident of a hull failure on the B31 short of hitting a rock jetty at high speed, not one. Many of us have upgraded these old boats with modern diesel power, and that makes them perform even better. Take a look on yachtworld at what prices they are commanding today for boats built some 30-40 years ago. You can pretty much dump all the money you have into a B31 and get it back anytime you want.......

And did I say they are pretty boats vs. the damn Clorox bottles made today?

Sadly, the Bertrams coming out of the factory today are not the same as the ones most of us own, but we know the factory guys, have a lot of brand loyalty (I've owned a Bertram since 1974) and constantly nag them to get back to basics.....but I suspect the bean counters veto those efforts.

In any event, those of us here consider the Bertram 31 to be The Best Boat Ever Built - a term used in several prior articles - and we consider ourselves the Few, The Proud, The Bertram 31 Faithful, and you can quote me on that.

UV, a/k/a Uncle Vic Roy
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Michael

Welcome and I am sure you are about to hear many stories.

We have had our 31 Bertram for 32 years. It has a lot of fond memories. It was from this boat I learned how to fish offshore. I have gret memories of fishing with my father. Something that no one and no amount of money in the world can ever replace. It creates a special bond as I am sure members on this site with children will tell you.

I remember the first day he bought it and I remember him pushing me to get it in the water just before he passed away. He always hoped for one more fishing trip but never got it.

I will say that the boat has never dissapointed us. It does everything we want it to do and I always know its taking us home. The stories about these boats are endless as you are about see, as the crew from this board starts to give you there thoughts. It has its draw backs, don't misunderstand us, no boat is perfect, but owning one, is truly a love affair.

Oh and as Uncle Vic pointed out, it has classic lines that still stand with the best of them today. Tony Meola
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

I think everyone on this site will agree that no one has ever made a prettier boat. As far as overall performance, she will run side by side with whatever 46 years of boating R&D can throw at her. And my money is on the B31 to come home with the most fish.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

The first 31 that I ever saw was in 1972.........Probably a late 60's model FBC............since then I have owned several smaller boats made by other manufacturers.........what I could afford at the time........

But I always kept thinking about the 1st 31 that I ever set foot on.

I purchased DeNada, my 31, in November of 2004

They are everything that my friends here have reported and more..........

I just think they are cool and the most beautiful boat I have ever seen. Their lines will capture your attention above anyother boat in the marina......hands down.

Harry Babb
hb
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Hey Michael,

Welcome to the B31 Site.

Here my thoughts about the B31....it is a boat that was design by Ray Hunt for Bertram....that was built for offshore racing....that turn out to be one of the worlds best seaworthy & fishing boats built...that brings people and memories of past & future boaters & fisherman together for the pure experience of having the privilage of being a stewart of one of the most popular boats built period.
I have own my B31 since late 1986 and restored it 1987 and the first trip offshore fishing out of Pensacola in May of 1987, hook up 2 Blue Marlin that day for the first trip since it was restored and was an unbelieveable trip, never to be forgotton.

R,
DQ
Last edited by Capt. DQ on Oct 31st, '07, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I saw my first Bertram 31 on the water when I was fishing alone in my 17 ft Boston Whaler. The moment I saw her I said to myself "some day, I'm going to own one of those". I later owned a 26 Pacemaker that I rigged up like a 31 Bertram. One August day we were shark fishing about 20 miles offshore when I heard someone on the VHF say "Jeez That wind must be 40 knots". Since it was glassy flat, I asked "Where the hell is it blowing 40 knots within range of this radio?" and was told it was coming at me from the north...and my return trip was right into it. When I finally got back, we found everyone at the marina huddled around the vhf trying to stay in contact with the offshore boats. The furthest out was a 31 Bertram named Twilight, captained by the Dockmaster's son. The weather got even worse. When asked about the status of the Twilight, someone said "It's a Bertram, they'll be back!". That sealed it! In 1977 I bought a used 1964 31 Bertram Sportsfisherman, and it's more than lived up every expectation I've ever had. It's gotten me home in some awful conditions, and caught me fish when others were skunked. Over the years I've repowered and restored it. 30 years later, I still own it. The thought of it ever passing into the hands of someone who didn't love it as much as me is the reason I have willed it to someone who does. He doesn't know it...but I do. Walter
nic

Post by nic »

Mikey,

This is a good assignment and you've come to the right place.

Four of us pooled our resources and have refurbished one of only two 31 Bertrams in Australia, new Yanmar diesels and all the recommendations from this site. I echo everyone's comments.

Within days of running up or down the coast someone will always come up to the boat at the marina and say they saw us offshore, distinctive is the word they use, and they could not believe how fast we were going in the conditions. Others come to look at the new boat and can't figure out how they didn't see it at the boat show. "The prettiest boat on the harbour" is another comment most weekends. There is something about the lines and proportions of the 31 that appeals to novice and expert alike.

I've had a 52ft Ray Hunt and I honestly prefer the 31, my 56th and last boat. I had to wait twenty years for her to become available. She punches above her weight in every department.

Nic
Last edited by nic on Nov 1st, '07, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
JK

Post by JK »

This is season 2 with the redone boat and it always draws a crowd no matter where I am. These crowds come in two forms, the first who know exaclty what a 31 Bert is and want to get a look at it up close and check out the restoration work, and the second group are the people who have no idea what it is but have never seen anything like it and what to know all about the boat. It's a 1974 but people think it's a 2007. Here's a link to about 240 pics of the redo.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/photos/phot ... albumid=45

These boats draw interest from everyone, here is a link to pics while the boat was being redone, the first 6 months or so are not in the thread but as you can see....the thread has almost 30,000 hits...all to check out a 31 Bertram.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/thre ... ightmode=1

--JK
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

My Bertram is 41 years old and makes more trips 100 miles offshore than most all the boats out of our inlet. Except maybe Papajohn in his 31 Bertram. It can run faster( without slamming) than boats twice as big, and crushes waves along with Cobos and Blackfins, Hatterasses, Blackwatchs. They are The BEST BOAT EVER BUILT..... The glass of my hull looks like it was layed last week. I could have any boat I want and I drive a 31 Bertram because there is no better. Oh they raise fish better than any other boat. Tropic Star Lodge ( a pretty good place to go) has 16 of them for some reason. Oh yea The BEST BOAT EVER BUILT.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Also lets not forget, that the vision of Capt. Patrick which started this website to bring People together from all over the world with the love for the Bertram 31 and created alot of new friendships also, be sure to mention that in your article.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I am a second generation Bertram Owner. My B31 was bought new in 1966 when I was 4 years old. It has always been the standard by which I judged other boats. My boat has been in the water year round all of its life and has no blisters. It is like owning an old Corvette or other unique sportscar. Everywhere you go people come to look at it and want to tell you their Bertram stories! The professional crews on Megayachts that come to a local resort give me the thumbs up when I go by, because they know it is a great boat and they respect it! Being a Bertram 31 owner brings me instant respect from suppliers and tech reps for marine products. They know we understand quality and expect the best. No other boat in its class has the unique combination of looks, quality, seakeeping ability and pure panache that the Bertram 31 has, even at 40 some odd years old!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Capt. Mike Holmes

Berts

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

And a whole lot of those captains - especially the older guys - will tell you that a 31 Bert was the first boat they were ever hired to run.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
randall

Post by randall »

just thought i would interject that all the small bertrams and alot of the older larger ones are also great boats...not just the 31..though its reputation is completely justified (in the last three years ive spent about as much time on 31s as my 25) i often raft up with friends that have "modern" 25 foot boats.....this is when the difference really becomes apparent.....its like i have twice the boat...like a sherman tank compared to a VW....and after fishing offshore a bunch of times on an old 42...id have to say its a hoot to pass almost everyone in snotty seas in an old babe like that......you should read the stuff on pascoes site.................the worst place to be docked in a hurricane...."next to a bertram"
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

There is nothing left to say. But that can't stop me.

Bertram31 --- the bench mark for the boating world.

And that is the reason it's AMERICA's BOAT!
A/K/A El Gaupo
hubris 1

Post by hubris 1 »

walterk wrote:I saw my first Bertram 31 on the water when I was fishing alone in my 17 ft Boston Whaler. The moment I saw her I said to myself "some day, I'm going to own one of those". I later owned a 26 Pacemaker that I rigged up like a 31 Bertram. One August day we were shark fishing about 20 miles offshore when I heard someone on the VHF say "Jeez That wind must be 40 knots". Since it was glassy flat, I asked "Where the hell is it blowing 40 knots within range of this radio?" and was told it was coming at me from the north...and my return trip was right into it. When I finally got back, we found everyone at the marina huddled around the vhf trying to stay in contact with the offshore boats. The furthest out was a 31 Bertram named Twilight, captained by the Dockmaster's son. The weather got even worse. When asked about the status of the Twilight, someone said "It's a Bertram, they'll be back!". That sealed it! In 1977 I bought a used 1964 31 Bertram Sportsfisherman, and it's more than lived up every expectation I've ever had. It's gotten me home in some awful conditions, and caught me fish when others were skunked. Over the years I've repowered and restored it. 30 years later, I still own it. The thought of it ever passing into the hands of someone who didn't love it as much as me is the reason I have willed it to someone who does. He doesn't know it...but I do. Walter
this is my first post on here but, i couldnt resist. that was the best short story... i ever read. thanks, alex.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I love the reaction of telling someone the boat is 45 years old and watching their jaws drop.

I love coming home in snotty weather, passing the pounding bubble boats that cost several times more then mine.

I love you can dock your boat behind a new three million dollar Sportfishing Battlewagon and the owner makes a point to say Nice Boat.

I love going to boat shows, walking around thinking I'm still happy with what I got.
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

So Mikerwriter, why BERTRAM. Why not SeaRay? Do you know something we don't?

Come on, curious minds want to know.
A/K/A El Gaupo
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

This appeared in Soundings, the nation boating magzine. November 2002.

"It was a dark and stormy night" .....

No, that's not it.

Here's the Story ...

November 2002
"My wife, Maureen and I live in Bay Shore, N.Y. on Long Island's South shore, across from Fire Island in the North Atlantic. For some twenty years we piled these waters in a sailboat, and vacationed, raced and generally had a great time. We also had a small motor boat that we enjoyed.
In 1998 we sold both boats and now had a clean sheet of paper, as they say.
"Let's get a motorboat, I said".
"Go ahead", she replied.
Passing a local marina, a sportfisherman caught my eye. I had to take a look. "that's a Bertram 31," said the yard man, and "there some great boat".
"Looks pretty rakish to me", I said. I checked the boat with a flash light and knife, but Maureen said it needed too much work. She knew I couldn'd do it. It's like telling someone to keep their day job. And like everything else, there's always another boat.
In the meantime, the August 1998 issue of Soundings came in the mail with the screaming headline "The Bertram 31: Best boat ever?
Wow! I had just seen one. I read the story three times. I was hooked, and being hooked on a Bertram is not a bad thing
"Honey, that's what we're gonna get, a Bertram 31", I said.
We purchased the Irish Wake two weks later.
Thank you for a great story. We think the boat is great, and so does the rest of the world.

Dick Dean

A/K/A El Gaupo
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

I'm on vacation now in Cabo San Lucas now getting ready to go out tomorrow on a Bertram31 owned by a newly met friend (two days ago)and we met on this website. I'm proud to say I've been alot of places at the invite and hospitality of fellow Bertram31 owners and consider them true, genuine friends. Boston, New York, Florida, Texas, Louisiana, Panama, Bolivia, New Jersey, are among the places enjoyed by the exposure of this website with fellow Bertram31 owners. It's amazing how similar Bertram31 owners are all over the world.
Amen
Andre Fourrier
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
nestorpr

Post by nestorpr »

Andre, say hi to Mike for me and good luck!
Looking for my next boat!
RussP

Post by RussP »

It was a typical SE Florida winter weekend blowing 20 to 25 out of the NE with 6 to 8 foot seas. The ICW was especially busy as most boaters stayed inside so we were cruising at a reasonable rate dealing with the potato patch conditions. We slowed down to go under the Stuart Causeway which got this captain of a Ocean Yacht upset and he rode our transom all the way to the inlet. A strong outgoing tide had the seas stacking up by the jetties and it looked really big so I went down below to make sure everything was battened down and sure enough the Ocean was right on our butt and wouldn't pass. This was making Linda a little testy having this guy on her tail as the mouth of the St Lucie inlet is choked down to around 30 yards and it gets pretty crazy with a NE wind. I heard her mumble something over the wind and she put the old 31 to the pins as we cleared the jetties. The saying a Wet & Wild Ride held true as we hit it head on at 22 knots. After we cleared the inlet I went back up to the bridge only to see the Ocean Yacht making an about face and heading in. Not the kind of conditions you want to be in unless your in a good sound boat. We enjoyed a great day of fishing and the ride home with the following seas was like being on the best amusement park ride.

You could go to any marina or boat show and almost every seasoned fisherman has a story about spending a day on a 31.

RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
Peter

Post by Peter »

The most common quotation from a skipper of just about any size Bertram from the little 20 footers on up to a worried guest in big weather...generally uttered with a confident grin:

"Don't worry. Just hold on tight. This boat can take more than you can."

And that is why we own Bertrams.

Peter
randall

Post by randall »

or to quote marshall on the trip back to port eads long after the big boats from mississippi had bugged out and on a day everyone else except ernest stayed in port................"dont worry about the wind or the water...the boat can handle anything.........its the lightning!"
davidms

Post by davidms »

Mikey,

As you know by now, most of the guys on this board are long time Bertram owners and are justifibly proud of their boats. Here is a little story from a new Bertram 31 owner.

My wife and I started looking for a boat a couple of years ago. We really didn't know what we wanted except that we didn't the style of the "bubble" boats, or living room boats, as we call them, that dominate most marinas. We rode with friends and acquaintances on lots of different boats. Fun rides, but not what we were looking for. My wife kept reminscing about when she was a teenage and her old boyfriend's Bertram 28. So we started looking at Bertrams more closely.

Fast Forward about a year, we were lucky enough to spend most of a summer on Fisher's Island, NY. We rented a 23 ft. center console Sea Craft to fish and ride around in. Little did we know that West Harbor (the main harbor on Fishers) is home to 3 31s, a 28, a 25 and a 20. And we saw them all almost every day. One day, as we were leaving the gas dock, one of the 31s passed by. That was it. We decided that if we were going to buy a boat, we were going to buy a 31. We searched for months on websites, for sale ads, etc, rode to marinas in Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Western Long Island and finally found the boat we wanted in Marblehead, MA.

We recently got an opportunity to see our boat handle some challenging water which you can read about if you like on the "The legend continues" post.

We love our boat and are so happy that we didn't buy something else. There is a line from an old Range Rover ad that sums up how we feel about these old Bertrams. Bertram 31 - Anything less is.
Dug

Post by Dug »

So much truth has been shared here.

By so many friends I would not likely have if it were not for the opportunity presented by this site.

My bride to be Liz tells me that I attract Bertram people, because the universe wants me to. I shake my head time and time again, as she is not crazy, but I will say that I do appear to have found a strain of humankind that I have a similarity with.

I have owned my 1969 Bertram 31 named Alchemy for 10 years now. I actually believe the anniversary date is within a few weeks give or take of right now today. I spent the first 8 plus working on her every weekend, and dreaming and thinking all week long all the while trying to maintain a day job. That has gone reasonably well too.

It has tested me, thrilled me, challenged me, and given me unmeasurable amounts of joy. My pride is total. I love my boat. This past weekend I rode a sister hull while she easily loafed through some of the worst water I have ever seen inside Long Island. We took water over the bow so heavily that it ran right off the bow again, while underway! The boats are amazing.

I love the way she sits at the dock, and how she runs. I like the ego stroking that I get when I talk to people at the dock and they discover that she is mine and they compliment or just stare. How thier eyes go soupbowl size, when they discover her true age.

She raises fish like crazy. The whole crew knows it. When the bilge pumps are pumping red water, we know we have had a good day. I have made true friendships stronger aboard this boat, and new friendships completely. I can whittle away and entire weekend without even thinking about it.

The Bertram 31 is magical. Even when Hatteras guys get involved. This boat has brought more to me in quality of life than I could ever give it back. I am her steward, and it is my responsibility to ensure that if I ever sell her, and I have no plans to, but if I do, it darned sure better be to a good and loving owner!

One of my favorite stories comes from the first Bertram NE rendezvous. The weather was crap. Block Island was battened down tight. 3-6 footers out in the sound and rain. Capy and Kar-Fre had provided a wonderful weekend of company, but I and my crew had to get back to work. So we prepared to leave. I had a fellow approach me and ask if I were going in the direction of New London, and I said I was. He asked me if he could follow me. I said sure! Another fellow on the dock said "you won't be able to keep up with him!" The first fellow asked why? The second guy said "because you are in a Bayliner and he is in a Bertram! You will never keep up!" He asked me if I thought it were true. I replied that I didn't know, but that it wasn't going to be my responsibility to keep him in tight if it didn't work for me. He chose not to try...

On the way home she ran like the wind, but we blew a blade off one of my props. It had been cracked for some time by the look of the hub, and likely before I ever owned the boat (this was my first season). It nearly ripped the strut from the hull, and later I discovered a big divet in the bottom where the blade had ricocheted off the bottom of the boat. I daresay that it was the bertram construction that kept her from having an issue! We ran along at 6 knots and I just enjoyed the ride, knowing there we were, safe, and going to be fine.

Last fall I hit a 12' long 1.5' thick tree floating under water at 20 knots. Bent the strut, shaft and prop. The hull was cracked. But I came home on top of the water in my own boat, with both engines participating in getting me home. One tough boat. For sure!

I have typed enough. You get the picture. Thanks for the opportunity to reminisce.

Dug
Harv

Post by Harv »

I remember fishing in a shark tournament about 4 years ago. The wind was howling and the seas were snotty. The conditions got worse as the day wore on. We managed to raise 2 small mako pups and a horde of bluefish in what eventually became 10 to 15 ft seas. But with conditions being so snotty and 2 out of 3 crewmen tossing thier cookies, we decided to head in early. Some boats stayed out longer, some didn't leave port and one never came home and lost a crew of 4 to the sea.

Then there were the 2 stories I wrote after the 1st MidAtlantic Rendezvous. Unfortunately, they were lost to the old bulletin board. The basics behind that story was it was 8 -10 ft seas so everyone went north on the inside. One boat put over to fix an oil cooler but 2 others had to make the run from Mannesquan to Jones Inlet that day. The only boats out on the ocean were the 2 Bertram 31's and 2 ocean liners, and I still can't figure for the life of me what those 2 liner captains were thinking.
I guess that's why they call it Bertram Weather.
Harv
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

Doug, what I think Liz is saying is that "Your on a mission from God"
A/K/A El Gaupo
capy

Post by capy »

This was one of my first posts on this site, but it bears repeating here....

Late August 1994, I had decided to take a week off from fish'n and do a cruise around Cape Cod to visit some friends. The first part of the trip was uneventful, light rain gave way to sunshine, we went through the canal and Woods Hole, Hyannis and Osterville. Beaches, picnics, great restaurants and nightclubs consumed our vacation. On the way back home my wife and I decided to stop for ONE night in Provincetown for some dinner. As soon as we got our slip, we turned on NOAA and heard that a nor'easter was forecast for the following afternoon with winds to 50 mph!

We had been on the boat for 7 days at this point and decided to head out the next morning and try and beat it. After a rocky night we headed out at first light. unknown to the forecasters, the noreaster hit early, winds had MODERATED to 55 mph, but being in the "lee" of P-town, it felt much, much calmer.

12 miles across Mass Bay we had our first taste of rough water, as a large wave broke over our heads directly onto the rear of the fly-bridge. Our speed at this point was 18 knts, and I reduced to 16 after the wave broke. About 5 minutes later we had a repeat wave, and then again, and again.

Our "new" 1961 31 Bertram, (we purchased her in the fall of 1993 from the original owner), shrugged off each inundation and continued on our heading of 348 degrees without the slightest hesitation. She is powered by DD6V53's, and they didn't miss a beat. The bilge pumps were earning their keep, and I was extremely confident of reaching Gloucester in an hour and a half... Until I saw the terror in my wife's salt drenched face. She politely asked if perhaps it might make more sense to turn around and stay another night in P-town. "As soon as I get a lull in the oncoming breakers, I will try."I replied, as I was worried of catching a 14 ft. breaker broadside and capsizing.

My lull came, one engine in reverse one ahead, and full throttle brought us about in an instant. the following sea back to P-town put us at ease. We returned to the marina to a cheer from our dockmates from the night before. I poured us both a long drink and we settled down for a two night stay in P-town.

The marina owner, a Bertram 31 fan, said: "I didn't think you would come back... Until I got a call from Boston that all ferries for the day had been canceled."
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i cannot remember the exact date but i owned a house in port st. lucie about 8 years ago.my mother passed away and left me the house.a fl. lawyer was helping me sell the house well at his house in jupiter island a boat was sent out in gale warnings to rescue the coast guard cutter 43' that had lost power out the jupiter inlet.story is the cg sent another boat to complete the original rescue and radio the coast guard aux. to sent there boat out to bring in the 43'.well this guy phil had the picture of a 31bertram fbc towing in the cg. in 12' seas this was in the inlet the seas outside were much worst.i was not even thinking about buying a 31 nor was i aware of the history of a 31.the cg aux.sold the boat and i bought it from this very wealthy guy who owned 11 boats and his wife would not sit in the cockpit of "that loud boat" had 504 cummins and no sound down or mufflers! i own that 31bert 5years.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Dr Dre,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you said it best
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Thanks, Ric.
Cabo trip was great, Mike's boat is TOP NOTCH and set up to be a fieherman's dream.
I held the bow line when he dropped her in the water for the first time after a passionate 5 year re-build. We made two great trips as his first charters.
Also visited w/George.
Mike goes fishing on his off-time.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
randall

Post by randall »

sounds great..pix?
nic

Post by nic »

Mikeywriter,

At the dock the other day this old rooster comes over to the boat and asks "do you fellas know what you've got there?"

Well, he gets invited on for a beer and says he can't stay long because he's meeting his girlfriend. Two hours and four or five beers later we met her too when she came down to the boat and just about pulled him off by the ear. Before he left he told us that he fished on Tennessee when she first arrived in 1964, the first fibreglass boat in Australia he thought. He described the day he first saw her, coming at full speed around South Head past the Sydney Game Fishing Club fleet which were all displacement hulls. None of them could believe their eyes that day, "we had never seen anything like it" he said, "it would be the equivalent today of seeing a space ship from Mars landing".

"This Bertram 31 revolutionised sport-fishing in Australia..." He had a lot more to say and I can put you in touch with him if you want.

Needless to say he was tickled pink to see her with a new lease on life.

Hope this is in time and looking forward to your article.

Regards

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
randall

Post by randall »

great story nic