lead in your bottom

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mike Moran

lead in your bottom

Post by Mike Moran »

I read a post within the last few weeks about a 31 with yanmars that had put a thousand lbs. of lead in his bilge , and would like more information in regards to that idea. I have placed about 350 lbs . in mine and it does ride better thanks. Mike Moran
ScottD

useless weight

Post by ScottD »

Mike, can't you come up with usable weight, I have also read about people adding weight to there Bertrams, like it's a trawler or something. I feel that weight is a negative to a hull like a 31. I will agree the heavier hull rides smoother, but can't you find usefull weight, a 40 Gal. live well, an extre 50 gal. of fuel, 200 lbs. of ice in a cooler, etc. I believe anyone who added 1000 lb. of lead to 31 needs there head examined. Maybe adding or moving weight to trim the boat to a more bow proud attitude is o.k., but just adding dead weight for the ride doesn't seem right. Ray hunt designed the boat "as is" for a reason.

Just my opinion

ScottD
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

Check with Mike Ohlstein. Might be true.
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

I believe anyone who added 1000 lb. of lead to 31 needs their head examined.
Scott,

Adding "dead weight", (static balasting), has the advantage of distributing the weight in the correct places. Extra fuel is a dynamic load that changes constantly and affects the running characteristics as the load varies. Likewise for coolers, gear, personnel, & etc.

The B31 is a very "weight ignorant" boat; meaning that the boat will, if loaded properly, run correctly and at normal RPM/speed over a wide range of additional weight loading. Just ask UV about AJ & the run down to the UVI with 12 guys and a ton of gear. Well over 1,000lbs of abnormal weight and almost no change in cruise speed & RPM...

Now a 1,000lbs of additional weight may be pushing it a bit, but upwards of that weight addition should not diminish the speed at various RPMs by much, if at all.

There are numerous spaces in the bilge where weight can be added without compromising storage space or working room.

The best material for static balasting is lead. The best form is lead sheet, followed by lead shot in heavy duty plastic bags inside of sewn canvas covers.

Br,

Patrick
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I use lead shot in 25 lb. bags. They summer in my bilge and they winter over the rear axel of my plow truck.

It makes a difference all year.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315