Racor Filter Q

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Hyena Love

Racor Filter Q

Post by Hyena Love »

Changed out my 10 micron Racor's over the weekend. I had a touch over 30 hours on the filters, no running problems, but in light of the recent swap to diesel, I was running small filters (10 mic.) and changing them frequently to catch any junk remaining in the tank.

The filters themselves came out covered with thick black motor oil looking stuff. Real slimey and black. Now, I run a mix of red diesel and over the road diesel, and some of it got a bit of age on it before I passed it thru the filters. Draining the racors revealed some "coffee grounds" looking stuff, and basically no water. Nevertheless, is black motor oil looking junk what is typically caught in these filters or is this suggestive of a ton of stuff in my tank or even older fuel?

Thanks in advance.

Ps. - The dip sticks on Yanmar 240's are threaded to accept garden hose fiittings. Pumped out all but .25 quarts from the crank case using the dip stick tube, warmed engines, and a jabsco pump.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Algee?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Racor Filter Q

Post by CaptPatrick »

Hyena Love wrote:...came out covered with thick black motor oil looking stuff. Real slimey and black...
Ernest,

Definitely algae... Get a bottle of Biobore and treat according to directions. Start with the shock treatment on a full tank, be prepared to go through several filters while the tank sloughs off the bulk of the algae. Run the tank to at least 3/4 down before topping off and start then with the maintenance treatment. keep your tank topped off, add a maintenance dose with each top off...

Br,

Patrick
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

Thanks. Fun never stops. I know, I should have sprung for the Algea-X units originally.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

You might want to check the water level in the tank. Remove the access plate and put some water paste on a stick. If the water level is more than an inch or so, you might want to consider pumping.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Geaux Deep

Fuel Tank cleaning

Post by Geaux Deep »

Ernest,

I purchased a portable ALGAE-X TK-180XT Tank cleaning and fuel polishing system. It works great.

I plan on being in the Houston area around August 20. If you are still having problems I can bring my ALGAE-X unit and put an end to your bad fuel problems.
Just let me know if you are interested.

Capt. Randle Hall
Geaux Deep Charters
956-689-1911
cell 956-357-2790
or PM me with your contact info.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Houston

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Capt. Randle, if you come to the Houston area and have any spare time, give me a shout at 979/415-0535. If the hurricane doesn't wipe us out next week, come by for a visit.

I need to fill up with fresh diesel soon, but hoping I don't have a tank problem.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."