Anyone use downriggers for tuna?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Anyone use downriggers for tuna?

Post by Dug »

I heard over the weekend that there was some success getting to tuna that were not on the surface out at the canyon using downriggers. I have them, but have never used them.

I have also not seen anyone out there doing it.

Anyone have any experience with this? Maybe wire line instead?

We went out to 5-6 miles southwest of the dip on sunday and went 5 for 5 on mahi, one a huge 3-4 foot long bull that took a shark rig overnight! And 6 for 6 on tuna, 4 yellowfin (one 50 -60 lbs) and two bonito.

It was a good fun trip, but like JK it was a long slog home at 14-16 knots for about 55 miles...

Dug
Capt. DQ

RE:TUNA

Post by Capt. DQ »

Dug,

Down here in the Gulf of Mexico we have caught Yellowfin on Halco trimbler's & Mann's strech 30's, but have to upgrade to the stronger hooks on them.

DQ
Al C
Standing Member

Post by Al C »

Planers seem to be the hot ticket down south when they fish for the big bluefins. Might work in the canyons and does not cost as much as a downrigger.
JC

Post by JC »

Havent used downriggers but the ticket fot tuna at least in El Salvador, Central America is spreader bars and cedar plugs. The natural cedar plugs are the best. Jeezz Need some blood on my deck...

JC
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

I second that on the Cedar Plugs. Hottest thing going right now until the Tuna get smart. I'm taking a tournament Tuna fisherman this weekend to learn from him. Ask me more after that. I'm in the Gulf , fishing 100 miles out from Ft. Myers Beach in the eddy currents. Dave K
Keep Fishing...
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I was in the dip this weekend. I run a planer in line with the leader crimped to it. I run an Ilander lure with a hoo and drop it back just so when it is down in the fishing position the line from the rod goes into the water behind my spreader bars that I run in the corners on the face of the first wave. This way when I turn tight the line will not run into the bars and puts the lure about 25 feet down. If you want call 631 457 2587 and I will explain it to you. I catch 20% of my fish on planers.In the last 4 trips to the canyons I caught 64 yellows altogether and 5 of the biggest ones on the planer.
CMP

Post by CMP »

I've been using downriggers for years, planers as well. Planers work well on light baits like Ilander/hoo's, while I prefer a large downrigger ball for larger baits like macks or live-rigged bluefish...

CMP
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

The boys in panama were using down riggers for some of the big yellow fin we were "harvesting" Seems to work good, if thats where the fishies are.
goldfish74

Post by goldfish74 »

Here is an apt quote from Fred Archer, from a salt water sportsman issue

Most gamefish spend more time down deep than they do on the surface. And guess what? They eat while they're down there.

We have found downriggers pretty tough to use at tuna speed, even with the Z wing. The planer setup a la Brewster Mintons post is much better. My biggest Mahi ever came this way.
Jeff
Capt. Mike Holmes

Consider the source

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Fred Archer was a highranking rep for a tackle company and a boat show promoter before he "re-invented" himself as a "Charter" Captain and writer for SWS. Some of his tips are funny enough to be non-intentional humor.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

I use big planers on 400 pound test and 1/8 " rope. I use the planer like a downrigger; but I can still troll at 6-10kts. Try that with a downrigger and ball. I use a big paper clip and a rubberband as the release. Just rig the line to the rubberband and slide the paper clip over the line to the planer. I run one off each corner down about 50 feet. When you get a knock down the rubberband breaks and you fight the fish. To reload just slide another paper clip down the planer line. Just don't go in reverse and have some gloves ready to handle the retrieve. You are going to have to really slow down. The pull on those big planers is extreme. This set-up also works really well for stripers. I put one down at 30-40 feet and another at 20 fishing 50-70 feet of water. I stopped using downriggers all together many years ago.
Keith Poe

Re: Anyone use downriggers for tuna?

Post by Keith Poe »

I have fished with Fred and wrote a chapter for him in the new shark trollers bible http://books.google.com/books?id=Cb3aUK ... ks&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone have and used Z-Wing 250 they want to part with i will pay 60.00 for them and i have a fed ex account.

Please send me a PM
Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
tds8268

Post by tds8268 »

Dug,

Made the switch from downrigger to planer several years ago, one less thing to store on board. Back when we ran downriggers I would always replace the wire with something else, wire tends to "sing". As for effectiveness; deadly for bluefin, and some days days very productive for yellowfin too. Buy weights much heavier that you think you'll need. Z-wings are great but lookout when they get tangled, giant meatball.

Dan
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

What size planers do you guys use? BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

i use them for stabilizer instead of para vanes and deep slow trolling swordfish with the Z-wing attached to the end of my line with 12, 400# mono leaders with large squid attached.

I also have a 13# salt slicer attached to it and can obtain zero blow back and it will pass up the boat at the right speed and angle.

Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
tds8268

Post by tds8268 »

Bob,

Normally we will run a #4 braced. If we need to go deep and plow the bottom we'll throw on a #16. With either of these be very careful when you're reeling them in un-tripped. They can jump out of the water when they break the surface.

Dan
Rick Kral

Post by Rick Kral »

Keith,
I may have what you are looking for. Give me a day or two to look for the Z wings. I moved my shop and i havent been able to find a thing for months.
Rick Kral
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Thanks Dan, they make a #4 high speed good to 10 knots. That must be some serious drag...Keith how deep you trolling for swordies?
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Thank you Rick

Bob usually between 750'-1050' and up to 1800'

Just depends on where the life is we rarely have a bottom here to work with and go by the sounder looking for life and the sat tracking.

Here's a video of night trolling in a near shore upwelling situation.

http://youtu.be/PudA8Bnj6VQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tds8268

Post by tds8268 »

Bob,

Crazy drag. My planer rods have 130 & 200 jerry brown loaded on a tiagra 50. Drag washer stack changed allowing for more drag and we still need to max the drag at times to hold the planer in place. I'm always amazed then a tuna takes off that something doesn't break before the mate pulls the drag back. The real key to this kind of set-up to to run at least 75' of mono between the planer and the bait. Makes a huge difference when you get the bait far away from the planer.

Dan
Rick Kral

Post by Rick Kral »

Keith,
I found two Z-250 planers packed away in storage. I don't think they have ever been used. Let me know how you would like ship. Send what you believe is a fair price to Cpt. Pat to help support the site.
Rick Kral
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Rick Kral wrote:Keith,
I found two Z-250 planers packed away in storage. I don't think they have ever been used. Let me know how you would like ship. Send what you believe is a fair price to Cpt. Pat to help support the site.
Rick Kral

PM sent
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Rick Kral wrote:Keith,
Rick Kral

Rick i sent you PM with my Fed Ex account and am headed to 711 for a $100.00 money order I'm sending to 834 Scott Dr., Llano, TX 78643 in the morning.

Thank you again so very much very kind of you.

Keith Poe 310 562 6205
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Keith,

When are you writing the book on West Coast swordfish trolling? I'm in Northern California and tried some Florida techniques drifting with balloons and Lindgren LED's a few years back, but just kept getting harassed by blue sharks.

I would love to learn some of what you know...
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built