velvet drive noise

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

hlblake

velvet drive noise

Post by hlblake »

I just got my moppie back in the water after having the port engine pulled since the head gasket were shot.

At the same time I have the exhaust manifolds and risers replaced.

The engines are Crusader 7.4 XLi (throttle body injection)

It was recommend that I have the old fuel drained (it had ethanol) since the boat hadn't been used in a while

I had the boat towed to another yard to have some additional work done.

While being towed a winning sound on my port engine (this was the engine and tranny that was removed and put back into the boat).

Tow Boat left the shafts to feel spin (I do not know if that is the correct procedure or not)

I recorded the winning sound, not sure how to post

The transmissions are velvet drives

But wanted to ask if there is anything I should have checked before filling with more fuel (E0 is not very easy to get on the Chesapeake)

- alignment
- transmission fluid level
- others

Thank you
Tony Meola

Re: velvet drive noise

Post by Tony Meola »

Some Transmissions don't like to free wheel. But a short Tow should not have caused a problem. Locking a pipe wrench on the shaft and wedging it against the hull would hae eliminated the Freewheeling.

Is it possible it was low on fluid and that caused the whine?

I assume it is whining now that you are back in the water. I would check with a mechanic that is familiar with those transmissions. It might not be an issue.

When we had gas engines, ours used to rattle at idle. One finally gave up the ghost at 600 hours.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Not hearing what you heard it's a wild guess at best for me...

But luckily that's never stopped me!!

Question...how far was the boat towed and how fast are we talking here??

I have trolled hours on one motor with the other shut, I did that for years, the prior owner did the same, never had trans issue.

THe whine...mine could have been making noise...kinda hard to hear when you have a motor running. Being towed with no running motors allows you to hear things you normally would not. My point with this statement is what you are hearing may or may not be normal.

I'd check fluid level, color, smell. Start and shift into forward, reverse, neutral. In neutral does coupling turn? it shouldn't but if it does can it be stopped easily? Be Careful touching turning stuff like that....maybe with a piece of wood. Do not spin shaft out of the water...the cutless bearing will not be happy. Run in slip for a bit in gear at idle, check, listen...if all good venture out. Check fluid, listen...

My guess is a short tow at a slow pace is not wrecking anything.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I agree with Carl that a slow tow was probably OK. I carry a pair of Vice Grip chain pliers to dog down the shaft if I have to run in on one engine. I think that like some automatic vehicle transmissions, the lube pump does not supply oil to the bearings if the engine is not running. At least that is what I have always heard.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31