Wishing for warmer days

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Sheer Folly

Re: Wishing for warmer days

Post by Sheer Folly »

Give me a COSTCO rotisserie chicken and a bottle of Frank’s Red Hot and I’m in heaven.

Save the monkey meat etc. for the more adventurous.

Richard
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

The problem with today's chickens is the dam stuff they feed them.

When we were kids, Chickens were not shot up with hormones or pushed to grow to large sizes. Same thing with Pigs. Most Pork has no taste also or is dry and tough.

If you can source locally grown chicken, pork and beef, that is grown on natural feed without Hormones, it will taste like it is supposed to taste.

Yannis

If you are nice to Bruce, he will ship you a few dozed Iguana's to try at your next cook out.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Iguanas I’m not so sure, but I admit I fancy snails, both species, the large ones cooked with butter, garlic and herbs, as the french do it, as well as the smaller white/brown striped ones that we do here in a tomato/onion sauce.

Those latter you can buy in open markets when they are in season, they are in a dormant state-their opening is sealed by a thin dry semitransparent film so they can protect themselves during their inactive season in the year, and you first put them in a breathable container with lots of thyme for a few days so they can rid of their saliva and clean their digestive tract.
I recall one instance when I was 7-8yo when my dad had bought such snails and had put them in a cardboard box with thyme. He had purposely left the top half-open so they could breathe. The next day they were ALL out of the box walking at the ceiling of our garage!
Also I like frog legs, but snails are better!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Post by Carl »

LOL...you brought back a memory Yannis.
Some years ago I was planning to make snails for Christmas Eve. I put them in an open container and placed on the side as I started to prep the rest of the dishes. When I finally got around to the snails many of them were gone. I soon found them on and under the cabinets, the wall, the ceiling. I collected what I could find. For days I'd find one here and there around the house.

Tony, yep. Pork, they ruined those trying to make them lean.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

There is no flavor to most all commercial meats. That is why so much seasoning and sauces are used at resturants to make food palatable.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

...which ALL seasonings and sauces that are present in supermarkets are FULL of carcinogenic additives, starting from taste enhancers like monosodium glutamates, moving into all kinds of NATURAL (legally called so) aromas, glucose syrups, yeast extracts and so on.
All these are one main reason why this current generation of Americans has a lower life expectancy than the previous generation. Take it from someone who spent decades in the food industry giants, producing these seasonings and sauces...
The industrial production of animals, chicken, pork, beef etc is another main reason. Apart from their taste, they are so toxic its not funny anymore. Coupled with the above seasonings and sauces make for a bad diet. Then comes bread... white flower really, which your system cannot recognize as it is so modified, which is a major cause for inflammation for everybody, and is the No 1 ingredient to ban from all diets ( pasta, bread, pizza, all pies, cookies, all breakfast cereals, etc irrespective of whether it is wholegrain or not), then come sodas and the list is endless.
Carl

Post by Carl »

...now remove the vegetables and fruits that are genetically altered, fertilized with god knows what and coated with pesticides and all we have left is Vodka. Even if the ingredients are tainted it's triple distilled and filtered.

It doesn't make for much of a meal, but easy to cook and cleanup is a breeze.

I love the term "Natural Flavor". I guess that is what you referred to as "aroma"...the chemicals that trick your brain into thinking its eating something good and tasty that really lacks taste. For Natural Flavor it has to come from something natural as opposed to Artificial which comes direct from the lab. I just find it ironic that Natural Flavor can come from anything and usually not from the item your eating...That Natural Apple Flavor added may come from anything found in nature that can be altered to smell and trick the brain into thinking Apple. As if thats not bad enough...then they need to add Chemicals and crap to mix, stabilize and preserve that "natural" stuff.

The real cool fact I love is the companies that produce this crap regulate themselves.

In Big Letters on a fruit Drink "With Real Natural Fruit Flavor"

Down at the bottom...contains no real fruit juice
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

...I'm still laughing with your Vodka statement, so funny!

Yes, the flavors are either artificial or natural. They're both bad, but the natural are "badder" because the artificial, at least, you know what they are. The natural ones are not regulated...they can be ANYTHING. And of course they are natural, as much as plutonium is natural...

As a rule of thumb stay away from ANYTHING which is processed. From breakfast cereals to chips to all mayos, sauces, pasta sauces, make your own sauces, rinse your veggies well, reduce meat and buy bio...not that bio is 100% free of chemicals, but at least it has less.
Especially buy bio for whatever grows under the soil, potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, beat roots, etc, as all pesticides are filtered and go under...
Yes, they are more expensive but so is the doctor and the hospital...
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Don't tell me my beer is processed...I can't take it!

Breakfast Cereal is bad?? Here are the ingredients from my box of Bran Flakes

Whole Grain Wheat
Wheat Bran
Sugar
Wheat Flour
Malted Barley Flour
Salt

What's bad in this list? Why?
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

In the process to render wheat less prone to diseases and less costly to produce, it has become a very unnatural product.

To the point that it has become so modified, that your system no longer recognizes it as anything nutritious.
Instead it reacts to it with inflammation, a major health issue for most. And Im not even bothering to mention the negative effects from gluten.

So, wheat is the bad in this list.
If you, or anyone else, have back problems, try banning wheat altogether for a week. The results will be stunning.
But Banning means no pasta, bread, burger buns, pies, sweets with baked parts, cookies, breakfast cereals, cocktail sticks, in other words everything that contains wheat. Try to detoxify yourself from this poison.
Oh, whole or not is also another trick of the industry...modern wheat is disastrous to you in any form!
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

There are 8 BILLION people in the world, soon to be 10 Billion. Food is a common denominator commodity. As far as I know there is no more arable land being produced so as the quantity of food produced goes up the quality is going to go down.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

True.

However, the individual can always try to protect themselves by putting their mind to work and make better choices.
It is all the more difficult to do so, as we are bombarded by false advertising that suits the needs of the food and beverage industry.
The population problem will eventually autocorrect! We'll reach a population peak at some point and then people will start to live less, as the case is already in the US, which is the first one to abuse so much on nutrition, call it obesity or malnutrition. Others will soon follow. Then, the population will start decreasing.

So much is the industry's desire for profit that even the obvious is obscured. As an example, look into what happened and still happens with Roundup. A so clearly deadly substance with obvious negative effects in the health of the agricultural population who comes in direct contact with it...whole villages have been decimated from cancer...and still the FDA calls it a POTENTIAL health hazard! Really?
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote: Feb 3rd, '22, 22:41
The population problem will eventually autocorrect!
I think in the past things like famine, disease, and viruses took care of correcting the population expansion.

Just think if COVID was worse than it is.
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Yannis,

your statement about the population autocorrecting is what I am worried about it. Carl skipped one of the other major ways population "corrects",

when Politicians and their Policies fail they reach to pull the WAR lever to change focus.

what would happen if bombs started dropping and Russia cuts off Natural gas?

sorry if this should be in the politics....
Carl

Post by Carl »

Matt-

I had war down in my original response but decided to remove it. War is completely man-made so not an auto-correction in my view.

An argument could be had for the auto-correct being man-made as well...but not as direct.
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

based upon the title of this thread - I am wishing for warmer days.... Days spent on my Bertram fishing and enjoying the sun and sea with my family.

my wonderful project has taken way too long all the BS in the world is too much, most of it limited by my skillset and time available to do project work but I am now at 1 year waiting on an outboard motor with no end in sight.

I need to be doing more of this - me with the gaff
https://photos.app.goo.gl/U6HhfHuU5gnUQFz76

leadering
https://photos.app.goo.gl/VVT1F82t9ZPomgmd8
Carl

Post by Carl »

yes...thank you for getting us back on track.

Warmer days are something I too am looking forward to...this year I'm anticipating an early splash.
March/April for spring bass.

It has been years since I went in early.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Me too!

I plan to leave the city around Easter. I don't care if its cold or warm, I want to maximize this summer.

Sometime in August I wish to leave the boat and come back by ferry for 10 or so days, because we are anticipating a record year in tourism and I prefer to be in empty Athens than in the crowded docks elbowing for a slip.
All those who couldn't move during the two covid years are expected to come over displaying no limits in anything beyond logic...
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

ktm_2000 wrote: Feb 1st, '22, 08:41 not to be a contrarian, but how many people can say that chicken tastes like chicken anymore?

the stuff that has been showing up at the grocery stores SUCKS!!! chicken breasts that look like the size of turkey breasts and stringy as all heck.
What do we expect? As a nation we are conditioned to buying the least expensive product on the shelf and the producers enable that behavior by driving down prices paid to farmers. The result is tasteless, low nutrition products. There is still good food available out there if you look for it and are willing to pay a little more for better, healthier food and to support independent farmers.

Yannis, I hear you about processed white flour but really…no croissant to dip in my coffee? No fresh bagette to drag through the olive oil?
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Doug,

AFTER you ban flour for a good while, you CAN make a "papara", that slice of fresh bread into the salad's olive oil!
A slice of bread every so often, cannot trigger inflammation alone. It is the cumulative effect of various forms of white flour that doesn't allow for your system to detoxify and calm down. Once you've achieved that, then a slice every two three days, does not have the power to harm you!

Instead of a baguette, try dry figs, boil all 6 eggs and pick a ready one out of the fridge every morning so that you don't go through the boiling process every day, a piece of dark (over 70%) chocolate, an easy to peel tangerine, YOU CANNOT IMAGINE how easy it is to change those little habits that harm you. After a while you'll be surprised how you even did that old diet.
For me the hardest part was that coffee dip too, then, after I stopped all that sh/t I realized that ONE cookie every morning was OK. One cookie's wheat flour"s quantity diluted in my 100+ kilos was not enough to harm me. But pasta and pizza and breakfast bars and cereals are a no no forever.
kross1

Post by kross1 »

Wow this post took some turn from warm days and sunshine to the station wagon effect to the Cooking Channel to war and a diet plan. Who would’ve thought. :-D
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
Carl

Post by Carl »

Posts here, like life can take some strange twists.

Fight it if you want, but what is...is

In the end...some new perspectives can be achieved.

But I do agree on hot topics where people are actively looking for information, hijacking a thread should not take place till after the question has been answered in full...maybe kicked around a little too.

Threads like this take place as we are "Wishing for Warmer Days" so we can get back to our topic BOATS. Til then, talking with other Boat owners is the best that can be offered.
kross1

Post by kross1 »

I don’t care that the post took a turn. Just find it interesting where it turns to.
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

We are a group with diverse interests......and strong opinions!
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Amberjack wrote: Feb 7th, '22, 15:44 We are a group with diverse interests......and strong opinions!
But we all get along and now we have a resident Dietician.

Yannis will set up a meal plan for all of us very shortly.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony,

I know you enjoy pulling my leg, and as one of the few foreigners still left aboard, I know I have to think twice before I let you down...so what I propose is instead of my providing a meal plan for everyone, I suggest you guys come over in the summer when I can display to you my other hobby, cooking, apart from boats and the like!
But you have to carry a valid health insurance and a signed document from your significant other that you are allowed to do the things that you'll do while here!!
Note to self: Be careful during the last day, these people have to fly back home and make it through the 10 hr flight...
Carl

Post by Carl »

...those last 2 sentences sound like trouble.

Cooking...a favorite pastime of mine as well. It goes good with my other - other favorite which would be eating good food.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

Better watch out you might just wind up with a crowd.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Don't worry Tony, my season is long and there's vacancies all over!