Widening my Flybridge

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ironworker

Widening my Flybridge

Post by Ironworker »

I'm getting ready to widen my flybridge by 16 to 17 inches. I've looked at a boat which had done this and I'm extremely impressed with the result. I also see that Tropic Star is doing the same on their 31's . It maintains the B31 look but becomes much more functional, IMO.

Because there was some previous modifications on my flybridge (adding the pod with flip up electronics display), I plan on splitting my fly bridge in 3 sections. I'll leave the center section in place and move out the other sections each 8 1/2 inches. I've pulled out the headliner and tabbing and it looks as if it will be relatively simple task but time consuming. I'm also going to remove the back of the storage area under the flybridge (with the rounded bottom) and replace with a flat section to mount electronics. What seems relatively simple could be fraught with other issues because I don't know what I don't know. In addition, I plan on beefing up the structure of the flybridge for the outriggers and more support for the flybridge seating area.

Any advice or suggestions before I get out the saw?
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
CamB25

Re: Widening my Flybridge

Post by CamB25 »

My sawz-all cost me years of hard labor. Use with caution.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

I've modified a bunch of parts during my project, I agree with Cam in that it adds a lot of work.

What took me the most effort and time was making the deck 22" longer by removing part of the cabin, I effectively shrunk in one area and had to build up in the gunnels.

The thing that caught me off was not realizing that the boat was curving inward where I made the cuts so when I put the whole thing back together the hatch opening was significantly smaller, I eventually ended up cutting out the hatch opening to make it larger and will custom fabricate a wooden door frame.

Cabin cut down and setting up to rejoin
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sT2EqU8kNHMNnSit8

setting up for the "filler piece"
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MgXhUBbqzvZXhC4D8

Glassing in the filler piece - I ended up using a chunk that I cut out in another area
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6m3tmrGTuEnGqiNs8
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

I don't intend on enlarging the cabin. Just removing the top part of the fly bridge and sliding it out on the existing fiberglass. I'll have to fill in the section of the floor that goes with the sides. I may be missing something in the translation though.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Rick,

maybe I am not understanding you....

are you trying to make the cabin roof wider or the flybridge top which sits on top of the cabin roof?

Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Ktm,

I understood the latter.

Rick,

There was a change in the width of the 31 flybridge, I think around ‘67, after which the fb became wider.
You may want to find a wide fb from another 31 and do the flip. I fear that as you will cut and slide outwards the two sides you will encounter serious height/slope/fill-in problems that will be difficult to manage. You may end up finishing it with an aesthetic result that you may not like.
Or, as I can perhaps advise you, get a 28 where the width is already there LOL !
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

ktm_2000 wrote: Jan 5th, '22, 10:08 Rick,

maybe I am not understanding you....

are you trying to make the cabin roof wider or the flybridge top which sits on top of the cabin roof?

The flybridge top. The cabin roof will remain the same. I'm planning on cutting off the top moving it out 8 1/2" on each side then filling in with fiberglass.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I have some pictures of a boat that did this----at first glance very unnoticeable----but I do think it detracts from the look.

As I can't post pics---send me an e-mail and will send them....
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Craig,

You and I are in the same boat so to speak as I can't post figgin pics either. One day I'm going to figure it out. I would appreciate any pics that shows the process. Where the cuts were made etc.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Need an e-mail to send to...
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Craig,

I sent you a PM
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Send the pics to one of the other members who can help you post them up.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Just a thought....

It seems like the front is curved and if one were to draw a line perpendicular across the top of the cabin roof, the very front of the curve in the flybridge and another line where the sides of the flybridge turn backwards, there should be some distance between the 2 lines. If one were to cut the flybridge anywhere in that curve and make it wider, you would also make the curved portion deeper. The results would be the flybridge longer as you would be effectively making the curve larger as it expands both left and right and front to back at the same time.

While I doubt that it would extend it off the back of the cabin roof, it would be longer
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

I did a cheeseball drawing to show what I tried to describe in the last post. The drawing isn't exactly right as the line depicting the side on the new width should end further back than the original side line.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/oH5z3XTMtGCvyz8a8
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

I thought about that as well. My tower leg comes down on top. I'm going to get some tape and layout what I'm thinking and then post a link to a pic.

Standby.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Carl

Post by Carl »

If going in three sections by adding filler panels to join being a tough build in my mind. As mentioned if keeping the same front arc the sides need to be shortened or moved back. You could flatten the arc in filler panels but I do not see that blending well. Or cut the center with a flatter arc in center...again not an easy blend nor do I see it looking great.

Another thought...
-cut the center section out,
-move sides outwards,
-fabricate new front panel from sheet of fiberglass, luan or whatever. A single sheet can be bowed for a complimentary curve that hits the right spots with only the side radius's to blend.

Or do your three cuts as mentioned and lay a full panel in front.
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Carl,

My plan was to leave the center piece where its at and just move the two outside pieces. However I could lay glass on top of the center section and change the angle as necessary to make it work.

The boat I looked at split the flybridge top in half then remolded the center. I could do the same and just join the pod back on which is another potential solution.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

My Dads 31 had a widened fly bridge it was done when he bought the boat in 1992 from the Florida keys. Here are some pictures. Image Image
Jason
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Jason,

Thanks for posting a pic of Fisher King. I like the swim ladder access to the flybridge.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Here of some photos of where I'm intending on cutting my top. It will be moved out roughly 8 1/2" or inline with the tower leg. The rounded part of the storage area under the pod and shelf will be removed entirely. The blue tape indicates where I'm planning on making the cuts.

I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions on my plan.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/90s3wvx4kvq2 ... cSs_a?dl=0
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Thought: If your goal is to expand the seating capacity, you could remove the "ears" that extend from aft of the helm area and make a new piece of structure (from pipe work and/or fiberglass) to enlarge the seating area. This approach would avoid hacking up the helm area and will save loads of work. The idea is make it look like you did it on purpose, rather than scaling up the Bertram design. Allows you more flexibility in design.

Just a thought
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Is there a rear tower leg that turns into the side of the flybridge? if so are you re-doing the pipework too?

This is my opinion but I would be reluctant to take that on based upon my skillset and my experience. My brain is not the greatest when dealing with curves and what I see is that there are a whole lot curves going on in that flybridge. I see the front curves top to bottom as well as left to right. to me the kicker is that the top lip looks like it also has a high point in the center and slopes down as it goes outward, that would get interesting rebuilding that slope and having it look consistent.

I like Cam's ideas of looking for alternative methods to solve your problems.
FV sweetspot

Post by FV sweetspot »

I have a bunch of pictures of a guy who widened one down in Costa rica. inbox me you number and ill text you the pictures if you want. I was going to do it but its a ton of work and I just want to get her in the water.
You dont know until you go.
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

FV sweetspot wrote: Jan 7th, '22, 13:49 I have a bunch of pictures of a guy who widened one down in Costa rica. inbox me you number and ill text you the pictures if you want. I was going to do it but its a ton of work and I just want to get her in the water.
PM sent. Many thanks
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

ktm_2000 wrote: Jan 7th, '22, 13:19 Is there a rear tower leg that turns into the side of the flybridge? if so are you re-doing the pipework too?

This is my opinion but I would be reluctant to take that on based upon my skillset and my experience. My brain is not the greatest when dealing with curves and what I see is that there are a whole lot curves going on in that flybridge. I see the front curves top to bottom as well as left to right. to me the kicker is that the top lip looks like it also has a high point in the center and slopes down as it goes outward, that would get interesting rebuilding that slope and having it look consistent.

I like Cam's ideas of looking for alternative methods to solve your problems.
Yes, I'll have to redo the side tower legs. I'm going to have to have some additional work on the tower done already so I'm calling that a wash.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Well I just had a boat builder from RI take a look and give me his suggestions. He suggest cutting the entire top piece off, then do the work in a shop then reinstall. Again he thinks splitting down the center would be the easiest way to accomplish the task (relatively speaking).

BTW, the boat builder grew up in Point Pleasant, NJ. He built my buddies 72' sailing cat which is currently sitting at my dock. All carbon fiber construction. Damn pretty boat and damn expensive.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue