picking your brain on painting vaneer in cabin

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

dagmarsawayn

picking your brain on painting vaneer in cabin

Post by dagmarsawayn »

Was wandering if any one has painted the vaneer wood inside of the cabin ?what did you use and how does it hold up ?Thanks for any input
kross1

Re: picking your brain on painting vaneer in cabin

Post by kross1 »

Hello. If you are talking about the woodgrain formica yes I did.
First clean clean clean.
I did not sand.
Prime. 123 primer from home store.
Paint. Interlux brightside .2 to 1 with flatting agent.
Foam roller no brush.
It is holding up well 4 years.
A few scratch's all my fault .
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

I redid my salon 3 years ago and it was one of the most rewarding projects I've ever done on the boat.

We filled and sanded 40-50 old fastner holes left by prior owners (mark any holes you intend to reuse) and applied two coats of Interlux undercoat after which I spent two long winter days hand sanding the undercoat to smoothness with 120 grit. Then the professional who was working with me applied two coats of Interlux Brightside finish coat.

The paint has held up very well with no cracking or wear evident and it really opens up the cabin. My wife and I both love the new look.

A couple lessons learned:

Refinish all the teak trim first so you don't ding up the new paint.
The painter who worked with me said the undercoat prep was the most important part of the project and I believe him.
Unscrew and remove all the teak trim you can rather than taping to paint around it. It will be a much cleaner look.
We added flattening agent to the Brightside and it didn't cover at all well. Went back and read the instructions and couldn't figure it out so I called Interlux. Turns out if you use flattening agent you're supposed to apply a coat of unadulterated Brightside first! That wasn't clear to us so I have an extra couple coats of paint on the bulkheads.

But the boat sure looks better.

Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
kross1

Post by kross1 »

Wow that looks great.
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Doug

How did you do the seating, that wood looks great.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

I sanded mine primed with awlgrip 545 sanded again then painted with awlcraft 2000. The hanging locker and the Vberth were still Formica I am happy with the results. You can add a flattening agent to the paint if you don’t want the shine. Image
Jason
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Tony Meola wrote: Dec 27th, '21, 21:17 Doug

How did you do the seating, that wood looks great.
Tony-I laminated 1/4" teak ply over the athwartship face of the settee (the part under the dinette). We removed the old settee end piece (the fore & aft part) and used it as a pattern for a new one fabricated of 1/2" marine ply laminated with 1/4" teak ply = 3/4" new settee end piece. I wanted a rectangular drawer front instead of the old Bertram full face drawer front. We reused the old drawer boxes and installed drawer glides instead of the old wood sliders--big difference. Very happy with the whole thing except now we have to remember to latch the drawers shut when underway because they slide so easily.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

really nice job making the radius of teak on the bench seat.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Doug

I have to say, nice job.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Jason, did you do the Corian work yourself? It looks good.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Doug I made all the templates and a friend of mine made the three tops up for me!!
Jason
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

Mine was faded from the sun and had white spots appearing everywhere. I'm a child of the sixties, so I like formica, and I tried everything from furniture restorer to wax to try to clean it up with no success. Then, resigned to having to paint the formica and more as a joke than anything else, I sprayed some WD-40 on a paper towel and gave it a wipe--instantly all the marks disappeared and the high gloss finish returned! That was almost a year ago, and it still looks great--if I see a spot beginning to appear after a few months a quick wipe gets rid of it.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Penetrol will also bring it back. I think I sanded and used Easypoxy on mine but it was a long time ago and I cannot remember for certain.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

I have painted the entire Veneer inside of my 1973, to try and match the gel-coat. Lightly sanded with 120 grit. Wiped entirety with Lacquer Thinner. Rolled and tipped using Petite 6149 Undercoater. Sanded again with 220 and wiped. Mixed 2 parts of Petite 3108 and one part 3106. Again rolled( 4” foam roller) and tipped. Came out great but a tad lighter than the gel-coat. If I have time this spring will do again mixing 2 parts to 1/2. Should be close. After 4 years it still looks great except for some small scratches from the Hammerheads that I take fishing. She ain’t no Rybovich, but still the ol’ Girl receives pleasing comments when my wife and I travel. EarleyBird 😎