Pictures of Boats without Cockpit Panels

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

trace elements

Pictures of Boats without Cockpit Panels

Post by trace elements »

Hey All,

Can anyone share pictures of their boat without cockpit side panels? I am going to rebuild my deck and want to fair the hull sides and eliminate the side panels to open the cockpit up. Thanks.
bob lico

Re: Pictures of Boats without Cockpit Panels

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
trace elements

Post by trace elements »

Thanks, Bob. Phoenix never dissapoints.
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Trace-Here are a couple images of Amberjack's cockpit without side panels. When we rebuilt the cockpit we couldn't decide what kind of storage we wanted for that space so left it to come back and finish later. We liked it so much we left it that way a it really opens up the cockpit which is a primary feature of the boat. The finish is simply Awlgrip Oyster White over the glass which I like but be sure the glass is clean of incidentals like left over sealant, etc as it will show.

Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
trace elements

Post by trace elements »

Thanks, Doug.

I think I'll like having the cockpit opened up. I am going to fair the inside hull sides and paint. I am trying to figure out hiding the various hoses that usually are hidden behind the panels, (fuel fill, fuel vent, bilge pump discharge). I'll also have to figure out how to mount the stern cleats.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i would never own a 31 Bertram with side panels .seriously how the hell do you lean over the sides of the hull and maintain any stability.????????? i may be wrong BUT then every kitchen in the world would have to eliminate the 4" "kick plate" under the cabinets.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Take your time to make a decision about fairing the cockpit sides. It will be a job and once you start it you have no choice but to finish. As I said we left ours unfaired thinking we’d go back to it later but decided to leave as is. Easy enough just to spray a finish on the unfaired glass just to see if you like it. I find the glass weave pattern appealing.

At this boat age very few of our deck fittings and hoses are in their original locations. My water fill and tank vent are both just aft of the fire extinguisher and not visible unless you’re on your hands & knees. Both drop into 90 degree turns just below the side deck and are invisible behind the coaming. Holding tank pump out hose drops into the engine compartment. Fuel fill and aft vent ducts are inside the stern quarter cowls and the stern cockpit cleats bolt through the cowl into the beefy structural member behind.

Having always had an open cockpit I never thought much about the knee space being a safety issue but Bob’s comment makes sense.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i did a so so job not like bob H .I felt it was good enough with a mild sanding but lets not get anal
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

I sanded and faired mine and got rid of all the hoses. I didn’t paint them yet I will do that in the spring the boat is now wrapped for the winter. Image Image Image Image
Jason
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

belly band sooooooo smart ,excellent!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Instead of fairing the sides cheat. I got this tip from Ray Belanger. He managed to get his hands on defective fiberglass tub surrounds or the sides off of a fiberglass tub. He attached them cut them to fit, then he only had to fair the seams and then paint. You could just get thin fiberglass panels and do the same thing.

If you cannot get rid of the hoses, and there should only be the fuel and vent line, make a mold and build a fiberglass channel for them. Then the only you will see is the channel.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Reelcrazy

Post by Reelcrazy »

vince i'm in toms river still in the water if you'd like to look at my cockpit layout
trace elements

Post by trace elements »

Reelcrazy wrote: Dec 17th, '21, 09:23 vince i'm in toms river still in the water if you'd like to look at my cockpit layout
I appreciate the offer,I'll send you a PM and maybe we can set something up.
trace elements

Post by trace elements »

Thank you all for the pictures. There's a couple of concepts I'm still wrestling with as stated above, the stern cleat mounting pads, hiding the hoses, and whether to glass the deck in or not.

Ever since I saw this layout I fell in love with it. This is the look I am going for. "Sea Hottie" for those of you familiar with your boat.

Having trouble posting pictures from Google Photos, any help?
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

I'm removing my side panes in my restoration. I need the room for gaffs and harpoons in my boat and side panels eat up a lot of space. Those panels give some support to the gunnels so I added a couple of layers of glass underneath along with a layer of 1/2 coosa as a backing plate for my rod holders. I've got a couple of photos of stern cleats but finally decided to use the 45 degree corner mount. I'm still struggling with photos in line but will try this afternoon to figure it out.

Regarding the appearance, I've sanded my sides and they look pretty good. I'm considering laying up a layer of finishing cloth on the sides to pretty it up a little but may not once I get down to that item on the list.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Vince

Try IMGUR for pictures. It seems to work the best for most of us.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191620136 ... ed-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191620136 ... ed-public/

In the first 2 pics you can see my rear cleats.
It is very practical to install them at an angle, so that the knot can be made easier.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

I mounted my cleats under the gunnel and installed hawsepipes in the stern. Image Image Image Image
Jason
trace elements

Post by trace elements »

Snipe wrote: Dec 18th, '21, 16:33 I mounted my cleats under the gunnel and installed hawsepipes in the stern. Image Image Image Image
Jason,

I really like the way you did you stern cleats. That may be something I look into. How do you intend to hide your bilge pump discharge hoses and other hoses?
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Haven’t decide on the bilge pump yet i have an idea but just haven’t decided yet. The fuel fill Will be direct into the tank Via a cam lock fitting and the fuel tank vent will be under the gunnel on the starboard side inside of the boat.Wires for the stern light will run under the gunnel to the stern. Image
Jason
trace elements

Post by trace elements »

Got the work started. Let's see if this link works. Image

My resin, 1700, coosa, and nidacore get delivered tomorrow.

I need to finalize the following:

Cockpit panels vs No cockpit panels
McMaster Carr Fiberglass square tube vs coosa for deck supports
How to mount stern cleats (If no cockpit panels)
How to hide hoses (If no cockpit panels)
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

another photo showing the custom rack under the gunnel holding Long gaff, Short gaff and harpoon, opposite side has boat pole, handle and brush for cleaning blood,

capt.bob lico
bero13010473