Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Yannis

Sum Pics 2021

Post by Yannis »

1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Re: Sum Pics 2021

Post by Carl »

Looks like you were about to use the boat and enjoy! I have to say some great scenery, many would make a fantastic Post Card. I was a bit hungry after looking at those plates...so simple, so good!

DId you dive for the sea urchin or found a place to buy? Any way you prefer to serve and eat?

Great pictures, thanks for sharing.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Looks like you really have her set up well for what you enjoy! Looks like fun! Thanks for sharing.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Looks like a great season
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

I get it now. Yannis is running a floating restaurant and bar...very private, of course!! Looks like your usual good time!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Haha, thanks boys,

Carl, I dive for the urchins, they are to be eaten imperatively without anything, certainly not rinsed (to get rid of the non edible impurities) in the sea water, because they lose that sweet taste. You cut them open , like you see, and you shake them upside down over your other palm to drop the kaka or whatever it is, the yellow orange eggs are stuck to the shell and don't fall over. The few that do fall are in your other palm!

In the first pics in June you see the dock empty...the hordes of tourists, foreign and local, have not arrived yet.

Yeah, it was a good season, Pete, only this bummer covid with the masks and stuff...

Cam, Rawleigh, I like to cook, I bring all mysterious provisions that I can’t find in the islands from home, wasabi, chartreuse, various dried mushrooms, ....everyone is invited with some short notice! I carry 3 big ikea plastic containers full of provisions...even coca cola no caffeine that is rare in the islands.
beachbum

Post by beachbum »

Nice, I'm envious!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Hey, Mike, I saw a big Pershing but it mustn't have been you!
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Yannis, it looked like a very good summer. Glad you had a good time.

To be honest, I never new sea urchins could be eaten. I must have led a sheltered life. Learn something new every day.
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

It looks amazing Yannis now that’s enjoying your boat and summer. Great pics thanks for sharing.
Jason
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

You really do know how to enjoy the boat. I give you a lot of credit.

One question. Every boat name has a story behind it. Phantom Duck. What is up with that name? I am almost afraid to hear the answer.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Danny, if you ever go to Ireland or Paris, try sea urchins in the clam bars. They're out of this world, huge and full of those yellow eggs. Now, in our case, I have heard so many stories of when you should collect them to be full; one story goes that the moon has to be full or almost, another that the moon has to be in the increasing half...the fact is that this year the sea urchins were not all that full. This can be partially corrected by collecting and eating more!

Tony, my first boat, a Boston Whaler Revenge 26 that we had bought 50/50 with my buddy (who now owns an Albemarle), was also named (by us) Phantom Duck. We chose that name because, like a real phantom, we were planning to cruise unseen by the crowds and going to places where we would be alone in secluded beaches and the like. So, when the new opportunity arose with the Bertram, I repeated that same name WITHOUT adding the 2 or II or similar !!

Phantom Duck was the Disney hero Donald Duck who, just like Super Goofy, could become a super creature by eating a peanut. He would then seek revenge for the poor and help them in their difficulties. There was also an elusive element with Donald becoming Phantom in that nobody knew that this superduck was in fact the real Donald duck, so, there you have it.
I believe Phantom Duck was a Disney character alright, but was not invented in the US, so you probably don't know about him. The Phantom Duck character was invented by Scarpa, the Italian Micky Mouse magazine chief designer, sometime in the 50’s.
As kids, we were reading a lot of Micky Mouse and probably the translated Italian version, that’show I know about him!
But you're damn right, I’d be afraid to ask too!
(Very seldom would one see a boat name revolving around fishing, like “reel thing” etc, simply because we almost never use the boats for fishing).

Jason, still, for the 9th consecutive summer, I didn't manage to hit 100 days at sea, which is my unattained goal. This year it was around 90 again, always something happens and I come back early!
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Thanks for sharing, Yannis! It is great fun to see how guys on the Board use their Bertrams. I, too, was curious about the boat name; so thank you for sharing. Here's wishing you and the others a great fall boating season.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

That is an interesting way of figuring out a name for a boat.

The Phantom Duck did appear in the US and yes it was of Italian Origin.

The Duck Avenger, also known as Phantom Duck (and named Paperinik in the original Italian version) is Donald Duck's alternate identity.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315