Time to come clean

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

Re: Time to come clean

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I’m still on a budget and essentially the way the boat looks today is the way it will look when the repower is done, until you lift a hatch, open the engine box or start the motors. Basically drop my engine boxes, deck and cockpit panels on top of Jason’s boat.

I’ve had my eye on every 31 listing for quite a while. When I look at the numbers and look at what I get in return I think the repower is the smart financial move, not just one just of the heart.

Sell my boat for 40k and add 80k, I essentially get a 120k boat that was repowered a long time ago. The motors have hours, the boat has wear and it is missing items that aren’t essential but help us enjoy the boat. Every boat we’ve even thought about has at least 20k in projects to make it ours. That’s the math equation, over 120 what other projects are checked off, below that what else do I need to do.

So with a 100k budget for a repower, we end up with our boat, no need to make it our own. Brand new motors, running gear, rudders, steering; sub structure stuff, deck supports, backing pads, rudder shelf. I know they’ll be a few surprises but they’ll be mine and not something I overlooked when buying someone else’s headache.

We also tend to live our life in stealth mode, so having a beast that essentially has the outward appearance of an old original stock boat kind of fits us well. As it turned out Buddy Boy was the exact opposite of that, it’s outward appearance showed well and it was a mess under the covers. That’s not us.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

It's what's under the covers that counts...everything else is ICING on the cake.

..almost sounds like the post is sliding again.

How about beauty is only skin deep. Your boat looks great and will run better, it will be the proverbial "Sleeper" of the boating world.
Unless they look at your exhaust outlets, nobody will know what lies beneath.
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Peter,

Good luck with your project. We look forward to your progress reports.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Peter
I agree with your logic. Either repair the cosmetics or repair the mechanical. One way or another there are repairs. I would rather have new iron, new warranty and new running gear. That's what gets you there and back. The cosmetics can always be done slowly and you know your upfront costs that can be budgeted each year. You know what have to start with- stringers, rudder table, decking, etc. Best of luck with the project and I know you will be happy in the end. With the ideas and information from the seasoned board members you will do it right the first time. Keep us posted.
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Peter many of us have gone to a high school reunion and discovered that the really gorgeous girl we remember from our senior year is now a 50 year old woman with two bad marriages behind her and current serious health problems. Then we go home and appreciate what we have.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Doug,

My wife and I first met in junior high, I still use my great uncles fishing rod with the wooden handle and the boat predates my youngest son. If anyone is going to find a way to take the long road to hold onto what’s good, it’s me.

She’s worth saving and I think I got through to the broker and current owner that Buddy Boy is also worth some additional love and care. Sounds to me like a lot of the issues we found could be addressed and the next guy that makes a run at her finds her in better shape then I did.

At the owners request I’m passing along the survey and mechanical findings. Someday we will see her back in fighting shape I hope.
John F.

Post by John F. »

I hope Buddy Boy finds a good home

The best thing about doing your own boat is that you get to do just what you want and what works for you.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Pete it was nice to talk to you the other day I think you will be happy with your decision look forward to seeing your progress!!
Jason
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Thanks Jason, I sent the mechanic at the yard a link to your post and my notes from our conversation. Tomorrow is likely our last time out before we start tearing her apart.

I’ll start a new thread when I get all the details ironed out.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

I sm sure you made the right decision for you and your family. I went the same road you are about to and don't regret it. Rebuilt the back end ten years ago.

Now thinking about getting the windows redone, which will probably include work to the top sides. We do what we can when we can.

Remember, just because she is old does not mean it is unsafe or a mechanical nightmare.

Good luck moving forward and be prepared of that dam thing called scope creep. Projects have a way of expanding..
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Tony,

I wish windows were on the list, they are not, possibly the aft ones if we replace the cabin bulkhead. In any case I’m sure you’ve seen this:
https://www.boatwindowframes.com/bertram-31-windshield/

Some of the nice things I’d like depending on how far the must have list pushes out is an electric fresh water head, if we are moving the holding tank and moving the saltwater thru hull or if some of the head needs to be taken apart for the aft bulkheads. Replacing the head becomes a simple item.

I’m going with the SMX digital gauges.

https://youtu.be/0-zPZEwxbvQ

That should allow me to put a 12” or 16” garmin display where the gauge cluster is now and hoping to add the garmin auto pilot when the new steering and rudders go in.

Right now I’m going to assume those are a phase two item and everything under the cockpit from the aft bulkheads is gutted. If we get lucky and can save some things I can add those in towards the end.
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

The SMX guages look very cool. If Tony is putting his signature "SMX" on them then I would trust that they are quality. I did not listen entirely to the video but they do seem great.

I would ask if the "parameters" can be set to notify you if a system is out or range when you are not on its particular screen.

For example, if you are monitoring say 10 systems and the screen is only able to see 5 system on the screen and then one of you systems that is not in the current views encounters a failure will the screen alert you and show you which is encountering a problem.

Are these "parameters" adjustable so you can tell them when to alert you. Like say "overboost" or high "EGT" these could be different parameters for different engines...

I am sure that this can be done but when you purchase them you can ask questions like this just to be sure. That guy Corey is pretty good over there at sbmar and helpful with questions.

Being able to monitor the various systems can save your engines...especially the systems that go beyond water temp and oil pressure....egt,boost,vacuum,fuel psi,etc etc etc
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Some of those items require additional sensors added to the engine. They are programmable alarms on and off screen and can also trigger a light or audible alarm. They will program to your engine when they ship them to you or send a USB stick to update the settings if you have them already.

I’m planning on replacing my gauge cluster with a 12 or 16” screen and the digital view gauges interface with the MFD through NMEA so that really expands what you can see.

I already have two 7” screens and already use favorites, like fishing, navigation and it custom switches all your screens. Add in digital view and all parameters on 3 screens, call it engine motion view. You can easily over do it.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

I have seen the website for the windows.

I like those gauges. Pretty sllck.

One word of caution, try to see one live to make d ure you can read it easy enough. If it is easy to read, then it is an easy decision.

I am sure it feels good to know what path to take.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315