Well, you guys musta took drunk at the NE deal, what's up?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Well, you guys musta took drunk at the NE deal, what's up?

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Hope ya'll had a big time, wish we coulda been there. I spent the weekend cleaning up AJ and taking the dinette table out, which I realized once I did that it had never been off the boat. What a huge improvement just taking the table off makes. No remodel plans now, just new cushions for the seats and a little foling drink holder deal and the interior remodel is done. Never realized how much room that dinette table takes up and how utterly useless it really is.

Used the RejeX on the counter top and white formica on the inside of the head door as an experiment. Damn stuff is amazing. It will go on the rest of the interior fiberglass and white formica next week. Once it cures (8-12 hours) it is impervious to anything. I spilled some Penetrol on the counter today while doing the wood grain formica and the stuff wiped right off with no stain or spot at all. Anyway, if ya'll need some, I have plenty at a good price.

Got a lot of work done on AJ between parties and rains. Me & the Bride looking at B31 pixs of curtains for the side and rear windows (AJ front is glassed in) so if any of the Faithful have some curtain pix, please send them along.

Andre' - Mayhew is actucally working on your boathouse. Drove the first center piling, moved your anthill of dirt, and has a string pulled for the other 3 center pilings, then left.......

Ya'll report on the NE deal, inquiring minds need to know.

UV
JGomber

Dinette table

Post by JGomber »

Hi UV,
I pulled the stock table from Triton II and replaced it with a down-sized one in white Corian. Made it 2" narrower and 4" shorter. Still comfortable for a couple of folks to have lunch but allows more "passing room" in the cabin. Had to shim the folding leg but otherwise a direct replacement and it cleans up easily.
Jerry, Triton II
Dug

Post by Dug »

Vic!

Sounds like you are cracking on the interior! To be honest whenever I head out for any more than a day trip the table goes down, and the bed miraculously appears, and it becomes a storage bench... I don't know what we would do if 4 people wanted to sleep!

It was a great time. Scott and Neil put together a hell of a time. Scott overcame incredible last minute challenges, and did it really well. So well that it looked like it was supposed to be to even the most seasoned event planner (like met). Dinner was great, the food was spectacular, and the setting even better.

The event seemed a bit lightly attended, but those that went were the people whom you always want to see! I sent you a shirt via Andre, and hopefully he will tell you stories. The professor was surprised by a mint 20' Baron that calls OB home. He and Randall went over it with a fine toothed comb, and had a ride to boot! It was a blast, and you should have come, though I am sure you had your reasons! The town was awesome, and Liz and I are eager to go back. 1.5 days was just not enough. We rode the merry-go-round, but neither of us got the brass ring this time... It was quaint, and the eateries had all great food.

In short, you gotta take the bride there for a week. You guys would love it. And the rendezvous, it was a blast. As for details of the finite fashion, I will let some of the others reveal...

Take care,

Dug
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I took out my table and it makes a huge difference! Much more room for tackle boxes. etc. I would like to go to a fore-aft mounted seat that pulls out into a bed, but in the mean time I was thinking about a smaller hinged table that would fold flat against the wall.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Being a 'glass is half empty' kind of guy....... I have to mention that the management at the Oak Beach Marina is not particularly friendly. I imagine that they must deal with plenty of jerks over the course of the year, but you think that they would be slightly more interested in pleasing a group of twenty-some-odd boats.

I had a slip rented for Friday and Saturday nights, but I didn't bring my boat. When we moved another boat into the slip that I had already paid for, they made us pay for it again.....as the slips are not transferable. So they banged us twice for the rental, even though I was there. They claimed that the rental was only good for my boat....not for me.

Were they within their rights? Sure. Would I pay them for another nights dockage? Probably not.

Oh also......the marinas showers were crap, and the electricity didn't work properly.

Big thumbs down for the Oak Beach Marina.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Wow, Mike. That is Chicken S#$@. I would never spend another dime with them!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Dug

Post by Dug »

Yup, I echo Mike's sentiments. I went knowing that I would spend some coin on the Vineyard. It is not a place known for being an inexpensive vacation locale.

But I thought what they did to Gerard with Mike's slip was wrong. I also thought $5 for a shower at the hotel across the street was a bit steep, though it did come with 10 minutes of water, two towels and soap. Nice touch vs. the $3 down the way. I think it is usually like $1 at block for comparison. There were things like that that detracted, but overall I personally didn't have a problem. Just saw others. And again, once a boat is involved, it seems to give the impression that rules can be made up as you go along when it comes to the venues, marina's etc... Customer service was certainly ailing there.

D
JackW

Post by JackW »

I agree that was a bad deal the marina gave Mike!!
Probably happens when it's a town marina and not privately owned- which i think is the case at OB! This was my first rendezvous and I had a great time. The weather was great.
It was nice to meet and chat with so many. Scott did a fine job, the beach club was picture perfect. Mike the cook did a nice job on the food.
One thing that did shock me was the 50 cent coffees at the general store
down the dock- not quite your basic Vineyard prices.
I'm in next year no matter where it is.
Thanks to everyone who put it together.
Jack
In Memory of Vicroy

My view is if the place is owned by the local government, we need to raise hell with the politicos about Mike's screwing, after all he was there. If it's private, raise hell too. Someone let us know who is in charge and an address and/or email. Boat owns the slip rather than the owner? Bulls**t I say. Let's sue for a refund in small claims court up there. I'll be lead counsel.......

UV
Dug

Post by Dug »

by the way Vic, only ONE person was really drunk at our gathering. You know who it was, and I don't need to say so. You also know it weren't me!

D
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

To start on the positive, Scott did a great job, the beach club was a very nice place. Neil came up with some GREAT stuff for the raffle. Nobody but Timmy got obnoxiously drunk. BUT the bath house at the marina was a piss hole, that's all I used it for and then only once. The girl that ran the docks must have been OTR, she was nasty, even the dock boys said she was a bitch. The event was surely lower key than most but that was okay, the island is a great place, really beautiful. I started off biased about the food, cause I hooked Scott up with my buddy Mike, he shined brightly and that roasted cod dish was great, the salad with walnuts, goat cheese, cranberries, pears, and those greens from coonamesett farm ah!!! heavenly !!!! Great time !!! Neil, what happens on the boat stays on the boat, 10-4 ??? Let's try Nantucket next year.
Mitch
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

By the way...Trey......the guy that we met who had the B20 Baron just like mine, has a Moonie, too.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

Those who have complaints about the Oak Bluffs Marina policy of not allowing boats and Owners to switch slips might not understand why they have that policy. These Vineyard marinas have a massive amount of customers and take reservations for slips four months or more in advance. They have these policies to thwart slip scalpers. Without the policy against switching, they get guys who reserve slips they never intend to use, and then go around selling them at inflated prices. It’s happened there already in the past, and to stop it they don’t allow anyone but the person who reserved the slip to use it. Nobody was seriously suggesting that you guys might be slip scalpers, but the policy doesn’t work unless it is applied to everyone.

It’s a shame if that one bad experience ruined your weekend at MV. I thought the rendezvous was a great time. We’ve got a ton of pics to post, and will do so as soon as the Tuna stop jumping in the (B31) boat long enough to find the time to do it.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

That's all well and good, but I was physically there. I made the reservation for the 31. If I had shown up with the 20, they would have made me pay again.

I understand that they're there to make money. But when you have to make it by selling 200% of something, I have to cry foul.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Just got home (to the heat), 8:30 Tues nite . We didn't have a boat there as we rode w/Ric & Jackie on Little Eva (Thanks Ric, for a great ride on a fantastic boat : thru the Cape Canal and seeing some 20 whales).
No matter what else, the company was great, the weather was great, the prizes were great, the meal was great. We had a room right across the street from the boats.
Thanks too Timmy and Kathy for putting us up and Paul for meeting us for supper one nite.
Dug, I'll give UV his shirt soon and will fill him in!
Neal and Scott, thanks! It was great seeing everybody again and meeting some for the first time.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Ric

Oak Bluffs

Post by Ric »

I thought the Island was very nice. The marina and the harbor were very quaint, and the restaurants, were decent and reasonable, I tried to get over to where ted kennedy drowned that young woman but there was a line of sightseers looking for his misplaced wallet, We rented a rather large moped and traveled all over the island which is preety big, I understand the slip scalpers thing but just a little common sense should have been exercised Mike paid for 31 feet and wanted to put a 20 footer in the spot, and was present with I.D..,.,.,I mean reasonable people could easily discern scammers from legitimacy.,.,., Kudos for Neil and Scott for doing the heavy lifting ,,,,I hope ya'll, get down to Liquordale for the boat show it'l be a hoot
The vineyard was an ok spot ,,to bad it got tarnished and put in a bad light by unreasonable people.,.,I liked it a lot.,.,.,.,Ok lets try NANTUCKET.,.,.,
dougl33

Re: Oak Bluffs

Post by dougl33 »

Ric wrote:Ok lets try NANTUCKET.,.,.,
I'm in!
Regards,

Doug L.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Of all the places we have gone to in our history, the only places that kept all their promises were Montauk and Newport. Too much work and money goes into putting together one of these things to have any of the Faithful leaving unhappy. Everyone having slips together and clean facilities with courteous professional services available is key.
I couldn't make this year's Rendezvous, but I know Mike Ohlstein, and he does not have a nasty bone in his body (if he did, they took it out in his surgery). They were lucky it wasn't some of my old friends from the Bronx they refused a slip to. Walter
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

not only is Mike mean, he's got a REALLY bad attitude.
In Memory of Vicroy

At least Mike didn't make the poor girl behind the desk at the hotel in PC cry like you did.....

UV
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Yeah....I'm such a monster........
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
capy

Post by capy »

Wow!!

Here I was all depressed that I couldn't make it..................................sounds like the place changed.

I went there many times in the 90's and always had a great time.

Sorry I missed everyone, Timmy being obnoxiously drunk is always a treat, but , I've been busy doin this kind of stuff instead....

*edit* right click image and select view image if not automatically resized in your browser

http://home.comcast.net/~cpgozew/wsb/ht ... 15006.html

and ...

http://home.comcast.net/~cpgozew/wsb/ht ... 15010.html

and....

http://home.comcast.net/~cpgozew/wsb/ht ... 15014.html
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Cute. And the boat's nice too.

No really.....we had a great time there. It's just the marina management that sucks.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Kid's sure to be a shoein for MIT, as his dad's already the smartest person his dad knows.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Capy,

As Mike said, great looking family and great looking boat! I like the way you did the cabin bulkhead to provide lots of natural daylight. Judging by the engine boxes, she looks like an early 60's model....what year? Thanks for sharing the shots; hope to see you in FLL.

Tommy
capy

Post by capy »

Mike, thanks. Glad to hear it went well I wish I could have gone, maybe next year.

Timmy, yeah, I just hate being right all the time.......

Tommy, 1961 those boxes are not stock though........
Dug

Post by Dug »

Paul,

I know where that first shot was taken... Did you call Brad to say hi? Or me? Jeepers!

All looks well in the CAPY household!

Dug
R Cahoon

Post by R Cahoon »

First post since Oak Bluffs, Scott and company thanks for a great time good food and good company!!!

Unfortunite about the Marina policy.

If you think Oak Bluffs is expensive, Nantucket is another 30% higher!

My pitch for 2007, CUTTYHUNK. Plenty of good affordable dockage, fishing just outside, beautiful beach within eye sight. They have the Cuttyhunk Fishing Club which has breakfast, but you can rent it out for the night, about the same size as the East Chop Beach Club. This would maybe a more central location for all.

Thats my two cents.

Keep Smilin
bobfioresi

Post by bobfioresi »

had a great time in OB. Thanx to everyone and the weather it was grear, Scott and and , my hat is off to you guys. You did a great job. It's alot of work to put that on. My compliments to anyone who put on the previos ones also.
BillD33

Post by BillD33 »

Scott, my family and I would like to say thank you for putting together a great time in MV. It was a beautiful location with great food and company. We hope to come back next year and bounce around the island for a week or so. Hope to see you there and share a cold one with you! Nice job with the weather also, how'd you do that?????

Bill D