clutch levers sticking

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Cturtle

clutch levers sticking

Post by Cturtle »

Saturday, after a nice boat ride in the Trump flotilla I headed back to Homer Smith. Everything was beautiful as I approached my slip and dropped the throttle down to 900 rpm then it was time to go into Neutral and then the pucker factor kicked in. The starboard clutch lever was stuck in forward. I tried pushing it further into forward in hopes it would allow me to pull it down into Neutral but to no avail. Now I'm going past my slip so I quickly int to the lower helm but the clutch lever was jammed in forward there as well. Now I'm approaching a cement bulkhead so I shut the starboard engine down and used the port engine, steering wheel and throttle to head back to my slip then suddenly the starboard clutch lever released and I restarted the starboard engine and got into my slip. A few years ago I had new cables installed and they have always been a little sticky. My mechanic said he didn't think Bertram engineered the cables in the best way by tying the Flying Bridge and lower helm together instead of a direct route. Has anyone had a similar problem that I experienced and if so how did you correct it.
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: clutch levers sticking

Post by Bruce »

Whether you go from one station to another, or both stations to the engines there should be no sticky.

Check for hangups where the cable goes into the guide sleeve, the controls themselves where the cables connect to the pivots.

Then down at the trans.

Bend in cables shouldn't be tight.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Glad you replied Bruce.

Lately my starboard engine has trouble "finding neutral" only when I start the engine.
Takes a lot of hunting to get the control in just the right spot to allow the engine to start.

Once I have it started it seems I have no problems shifting.

The starboard control is much stiffer than the port control.

Same advice? Look at the cables?
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Steve,
If I remember your neutral start safety switches are on the trans. Check your lever connections there and make sure nothing is loose or corroded.
Get someone at the helm to move levers and make sure when the lever moves, the cable moves at same time.
Carl

Post by Carl »

If cables, controls and connections all look good with neutral saftey switch at the transmission...

I put Control into Neutral, then disconnect the cable connection terminal from transmission.
With the linkage terminal disconnected move the transmission lever a little to locate the Neutral Indent, verify the location is correct by cranking motor.
If your motor cranks, the next step is to adjust the linkage to the position of the Trans lever. Adjustment is often made by loosening the nut and rotating the terminal end in or out a turn or two, verify it slides into the trans lever.
Once you think you have it adjusted right, connect then put boat Control in Forward then back to neutral, see if it cranks. Then try Reverse and back to Neutral, see if it cranks. If not adjust again as needed. Then make sure when your in Forward the trans lever is fully in gear indent, same for Reverse. If all good snug up the locking nut on the cable terminal, make sure cottor pin is in, start it up and give it a try dockside before heading out.
Why did it loose position you ask...
Cables can stretch over time, or slightly hang up, a little wear on the connections and sometime the brackets holding the linkage get hit or pushed out of adjustment. The original setup may have just had enough throw to just barely trigger the switch, but that little bit of wear just doesn;t quite trigger the switch anymore.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Thanks guys! Great advice. I'll work on it this weekend. I'm sure you save me a bunch of time.
Steve Marinak
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Thank you guys for the advice.

Carl, I followed your advice to the T.
Found the two cables connected to the lever. Pulled them off. The lever falls naturally into the neutral spot and the engine starts first time.

Examining the cables (upper & lower); the lower pulls easy and smooth. The upper is very stiff. No bends anywhere I can see. So I worked it with a little WD40; loosened up more.
Decided to soak the linkage cable ends in CorrosionX over night. Will see tomorrow if that helps the sticky cable. Then it's a matter of putting it back together and adjusting.

Good to know it's just the cable and adjustments.

Thanks again.
Steve Marinak
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Carl and Bruce,

Thanks again. All back together. Adjusted the end pieces of each cable to set on the lever while it's in neutral. Shifters are smooth and I can find neutral to start the boat again.
Did both sides for good measure.

Glad I learned something in the process too.

Steve
Steve Marinak
Carl

Post by Carl »

Glad you got the problem worked out.

I reluctantly have to tell you if the cables let the lubricant in, they will allow contaminants back in too. Cables are supposed to be sealed. It may be years before you need to change the cable...just something to keep in mind it it starts sticking again.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Carl,
Good advice.
I'm hoping to have some work done in the next 6 months.
Cockpit deck, replace rotten bulkheads, etc.
At that time while everything is open, I'll get some new cables.
Steve Marinak