Widening Scupper Hole

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

kscheben

Widening Scupper Hole

Post by kscheben »

Probably another dumb question that has been answered here before but here goes anyway. I have a 1986 B28 Bahia Mar (Express model) that I find to have one truly annoying feature. The scupper holes on the transom are ridulously small and do not even reach all the way down to the deck. Trying to wash dirt out of the cockpit after a successful fishing trip is misery. It looks as though Bertram used a 1 inch hole saw to form the scupper holes.

My question is this: how involved is it to widen these drain holes to become functional? I haven't done lots of glass work and am not sure if this is a project that I should take on myself. Is that just glassed-over wood back there?

Any advise offered would be greatly appreciated!

Ken
Babylon, NY
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Ken,

The actual scuppers in the transom, (not the inside panel), should be quite easily enlarged. The transom, unless you have an I/O setup, is solid fiberglass.

If you have the original scupper guards, (chrome rectangles w/ rubber flaps), you'll probably see that the rubber flap is considerably larger than the scupper opening. You can pretty much cut your openings to be just a bit smaller than what's covered by the rubber. You need about a 1/4" of fiberglass on each side and at the bottom to keep the flap from flipping into the scupper when a sea hits it.

You can move the scupper guards down if needed & fill the upper screw holes with MarineTex epoxy.

Use carbide, carbide encrusted, diamond tools, or fiber cutting discs made for metal cut off. Work slowly and careful to remove only the material needed and you won't have any glass or paint work to do. You might want to seal the raw edges of the fiberglass with epoxy, but it isn't really necessary.

Br,

Patrick
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
kscheben

Post by kscheben »

A BIG thank you Capt. Patrick for the fast & detailed response! You've given me the confidence to take this project on.

Ken
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Ken,
If you want bigger scuppers check these out.
http://gemlux.com/catalog.aspx?page=ite ... s&item=845
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Mikey wrote:Ken,
If you want bigger scuppers check these out.
Mikey,

It's an optical dilussion... Those are 2"x5 1/2" I.D., the stock Bertram units are 2"x6" I.D. They just look bigger because of the O.D.

Br,

Patrick
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
scot

Post by scot »

Mikey the prices are incredible. I can see a bunch of their stuff ending up on my boat. Have you used they cast SS pieces? Is the quality good?
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Scot,

I've looked over their products at a couple of shows, both IBEX & FLIBS and wasn't very impressed... Their stainless is 304 & seemed to be way over polished. By that I mean that the items didn't seem to have a clean crisp look, just looked over worked...

Some of their designs, especially the Rybovich style single spoke steering wheels, were poorly designed; OK & far less expensive than the real deal Rybos & Release Marine versions, but just not as nicely proportioned.

Some of their items, cabinet pulls and latches are fine for interior use, but deck pulls and other exterior use items would be a dissapointment real soon due to the low grade stainless.

Kinda' the old adage, "You get what you pay for".

Br,

Patrick
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Patrick,
Thanks. Now you tell me.
Never had the stock Bertram parts so didn't have a reference. Needed scuppers, liked the look of the Gem and ordered two days ago. Let you know what the look like when they arrive.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

gemlux scuppers are used on many boats, including regulator.

they use a patented high polish/coating method that does give them an incredible shine compared to other stainless.

the scuppers are good quality, and I have sold quite a few of thier steering wheels, for the price you could buy 3-4 of them before purchasing a top dollar one of another brand. Most consumers today cannot justify a $500 steering wheel.

They one of few companies that have actually put out different styles of hinges, forever we were stuck with Perko's old hinge molds that everyone copied, and stuck with chrome on bronze or cast zamac hinges, nothing in between.

They also have thru-hulls that can save your butt on custom jobs, most thru-hulls sold in our local parts distributors do not fit the bill when your trying to get a hose to go where no hose has gone before!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mikey: I think I have my original ones if you want them.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31