Velvet drive noise

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

wgiarratana

Velvet drive noise

Post by wgiarratana »

Starboard side trans slight clunking noise going into reverse AFTER the 1st shift into reverse.When leaving the dock and hitting reverse the initial time no clunk. Trans was rebuilt 4 years ago because of a rattle which was a broken spring. Fresh fluid every year not burnt engine runs fine good idle.Any idea where to look short of pulling the trans?.someone mentioned a dampening plate which he thought wouldn’t cause an issue other then the noise? Thank you for any input.
Tony Meola

Re: Velvet drive noise

Post by Tony Meola »

When i had the gas engines i had the same issue. Thought at first the prop had spun loose and was moving on the shaft. Wound up rebuilding the transmission. But check the prop make sure it is tight.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

One thing that is overlooked is the drive plate on the flywheel.

Most all gas use springs to take the torque hit. They wear and can create a clunk.

Many flywheel housings have a rubber plug at top. If so remove at see if the springs are loose with a screw driver. Springs should be tight.
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Another thing often over-looked are engine mounts, make sure all are solid! And check your shift cable is fully engaging with no hesitation. Reminds me that my counter-rotating engine has always made more noise going in to reverse than the standard rotation engine.
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285