Max Wax as an antifouling coating

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Max Wax as an antifouling coating

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Just heard from the sales manager at Corrosion X that their big customer in New Zealand (think its the Port of Auckland) has discovered that Max Wax is a highly effective antifouling coating on hulls and running gear, including props. Not its intended use, but whatever works works...

Anyone wanna be the guina pig?

UV
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

UV,
If you want a fresh water pig, I will soak it in Lake Michigan for you. No salt but lots of green fuzz!
Mark
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

When full my boat sits with it's chines in the water. Once summer sets in I get grass growth on the 1-2" that no amount of scrubbing seems to remove until after hauling. I'm sure ripe for a solution for next season. Count me in. Walter
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

UV,
Send me a can and I will do up my outdrives and swim platform supports. I'll keep an eye on them and see how they do.

BTW, I keep my boat on a lift, so it may take a little while to get the results. Send me two sample bottles just in case.

(hey, if you don't ask... you don't know if you'll get, right)?

Chiles
Capt. DQ

re:max wax

Post by Capt. DQ »

UV,
Does Max Wax come only in aresol or does it come liquid form also.
I'll be trying it on the Short Circuit's shafts & props seeing how anti-fouling paint don't stay on, better than nothing at all. I wonder how many coats they where using?
DQ
CMP

Post by CMP »

Where might one acquire such a fine product as this???

CMP
In Memory of Vicroy

Well, CX just put out a press release on the Max Wax with pix of a big prop that seemed to endure 6 months of salt water with no growth. The release is not on their website (corrosionx.com) yet, just came out about an hour ago. I have an email in to the sales mgr. to see if it comes in bulk vs. the aerosol cans. I have a couple of cases of the aerosol, and will send some out free to the designated guina pig(s). Think Capt. Doug in P'cola is in the highest barnacle area I know, so some is coming your way DQ.

Capt. Mike Holmes in Oyster Creek, TX is probably the other canidate since Oyster Creek ain't named that for nothing. He just pulled tho. How about it Mike, wanna do a short haul and try the Max Wax on your running gear?

The application procedure is to clean the running gear as you would normally do, wipe down with alcohol, then apply and let cure for 8-24 hours before getting wet, 8 hours when it's hot, 24 in cold weather.

I sell it at wholesale to the Faithful. Gimme a shout.

UV
chris pague

Post by chris pague »

UV; Worked the Max Wax on the Baron and covered or blended some of the scratches. Now I will put Digger on the lift and spray some of the areas I get around the water line. Lets see with a full tank of fuel I sit below the chine and that is where I would like to give Max Wax a try first. I have one can left that is for the top sides of Digger so send me another and I will send you a ck.
Chris
In Memory of Vicroy

CX just emailed me that yes, the Max Wax is available in bulk, say gallons up to 55 gal. drums. Bulk pricing will be similar to the HD CX. Don't have the price list in front of me, but guess about 100 a gallon. Based on how the 12 oz. aerosol spray covers, I'd guess two spray cans would be plenty to do the running gear on a B31. Just one coat is needed, with the cure time I outlined above. Gallon would do several applications.

CX thinks one application will last a year. I'll do the prop on my Honda 15 on the back of the Goo Boat this weekend and see how that works on a small prop turning fast.

UV
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Uncle Vic,

I'll definitely take two of the spray cans. Island Girl sat idle for a month in New Bern, NC, and the running gear and rudders were covered up in barnacles. I started on the 60 mile run to Ocracoke and had to shut down in the middle of the Neuse River and spend an hour scraping with a putty knife. I picked up 400 rpms after the cleaning, but my knuckles were bloody. I will email you my shipping address.

Tommy
In Memory of Vicroy

OK Tommy and others, I'll get some Max Wax out to you tomorrow, maybe this stuff is the silver bullet...... Send me a street delivery address, anyone that wants it. Your price is 9.02 a can plus shipping, and at my prices you need to combine some CX - 16 oz aerosol is 10.69, 12 oz RejeX is 10.02. DHL shipping in the US is about 7-9 bucks for a box.

UV
Capt. Mike Holmes

Barnacle buster?

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Vic, I plan on quick hauling every month from now until cold weather, - cheaper than the extra fuel burn from the critters on the props. Be more than happy to try ome of the magic elixer, and i promise it will get a trial by fire. If you don't still have it, my mailing address is

3327 FM 523
Oyster Creek, TX 77541
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

OK Vic,

You're on. Add two cans of the CX aerosol and one unit of Rejex to my order.

Alright guys, if Uncle Vic tells you the blackberries are ripe, you better get your bucket.

Tommy
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Vic: I'm getting ready to do a haul and splash within the next two weeks. I would love to try it. Send me two cans with an invoice to the same address where you sent the CX. Thanks, Rawleigh
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I wonder if it would stand up to ethanol........
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
In Memory of Vicroy

Doubt it Prof. But the promise that Max Wax will stick to running gear has caused a run on the product with me anyway. I have 6 cans left and will reorder from the factory tomorrow, probably get it Monday. Everyone's order has been filled and either has gone out or will tomorrow. Let's hope the stuff works as advertised. Would be quite a boon since the demise of the tin based stuff the EPA snuffed out.

But again, let's be careful and apply it as specified. Clean up the metal, wipe it down with a non-oil based solvent like alcohol or acetone, shake it up good, shoot it from 10-12 inches and try to get a 2-3 mil coating, which is pretty thin. Too thick and the spinning prop will maybe sling it off. Let it cure out of the water for 8-24 hours before splashing. Like I mentioned, I'll do the prop on the Honda 15 and let it cure for 24 hours, then run it and see if it sticks. Got lots of Faithful out there about to be testers. I figure if it flops I'll get lynched at the Flophouse, so fingers and toes crossed.....

UV
Capt. Mike Holmes

Max-Wax

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

It wouldn't be the first thing to not work for barnacles - seems like someone touted WD-40 for that years ago - but it's worth a try. The first product to really work at keeping growth off underwater metal should win the Nobel Prize. Mine looked like something salvaged from a shipwreck when we pulled it Monday!
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Did anyone ever wind up using the Max Wax on their running gear? If so, what were the results?
Regards,

Doug L.
RussP

Post by RussP »

UV, I was wondering if you ever sent the CX and Re-jex we talked about last month? If not maybe you could add a can of max Wax.

RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
In Memory of Vicroy

Russ - I processed the order on Feb. 27 so it would have gone out of here the next day or so. Send me an email at royvictor@cox.net and let's figure out why you didn't get it.

UV
randall

Post by randall »

UV...already have it and plan to coat the runnin gear this season....i have almost no problem with growth but get those very hard to remove mini barnicles on the gear...got my fingers crossed
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Vic,

Island Girl is on the hill right now, so please send me a couple of cans. I'll follow with a PM tomorrow. I received your invoice today for the Rejex, but will send money for the Max Wax at the same time. Many thanks!

Tommy
In Memory of Vicroy

Tommy, got them set aside for you, will go out Monday since I'm headed to the camp in the morning. Send to you or your brother?

UV
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Vic,

Please ship to my brother in New Bern, NC (I will provide in PM in case you don't have it).

Have any of the previous guina pigs reported on the success or failure of Max Wax as an antifouling agent?

Tommy
In Memory of Vicroy

Tommy, I have his address and will ship there. No, there is virtually no feedback on how well the stuff works on running gear other than the fluff from the sales staff at CX quoting the New Zealand folks.

I will say that the little prop on my Honda 15 that I coated last year still has the Max Wax stuck to it, but I've not run it a lot and it stays on a lift in my boathouse, and we are tidal, but fresh water.

Again, what the NZ folks report is that it must be applied in about a 6 mil coat over a very clean surface (thickness you would spray paint your patio furniture, more or less), then allowed to cure 12-24 hours out of the elements to work. My experience with Max Wax in spraying it on rudder flange bearings, motor mounts, etc. is that it never gets totally hard, so any abrasive contact, i.e. hitting the bottom will take it right off, but based on my limited experiment with the Honda o/b prop, it seems to stick real well in clean water.

Anyway, we need to get some use under our belts and see if the Max Wax is worth fooling with on running gear. It is super on stuff that is not underwater, but in a high corrosion enviroment.

UV
Hal

Post by Hal »

Thanks, but no thanks!

I enjoy being slower and less fuel efficient than the rest. They used to call it "conspicuous consumption" but now I think they just call me stupid!

Anyway, UV, the special wax you sent works great! Exhaust smoke rolls off with the waving of a hose and the fighting chair is glistening! Is that the REJEX stuff? If so, everyone should try.

See you at the uvcxi! Andre is bringing all the beer, whiskey and crawfish I heard!
In Memory of Vicroy

Hal - yeah that's the ReJex - slick as owl doo doo....

UV
JackW

Post by JackW »

are you guys uusing the rejex on the entire hull?
Thanks,
jack
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Jack,

This will be my 3rd season using rejex on the hull. It works great and is much better than wax.
Regards,

Doug L.
JackW

Post by JackW »

do you buff it out first then apply?
Jack
thereheis

max wax

Post by thereheis »

i applied several coats of rejex to my struts and used it on the shafts and wheels,will see what happens...apply let dry apply more.i think i have like 6 coats on em..
phil
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

JackW wrote:do you buff it out first then apply?
Jack
Just like in the Karate Kid. Wax on, wax off. All by hand. I can do one coat on both sides of my 33 in 2 hours.
Regards,

Doug L.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Thats love!