Tinted windows

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Tinted windows

Post by Carl »

Anyone know what what they use on the boats to achieve that Blackout look on the cabin windows, I usually double up on the darkest Limo tint I can find to come close. Last about two, three years till it fades, cracks and has to be removed...about that time again.

Thought I'd just order some really dark tinted Polycarbonate, but suppliers just seem to offer Bronze and Gray not even coming close to what I would like to achieve.

Thanks,
Carl
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Carl,

The darkest tint, without film, is greylite 14, (or some call it Grey Light 14), also called "Black Glass", but it isn't really black.

That's true for both cast acrylic and mineral glass, and will be a premium cost for that color over other most standard colors. Not sure that you can get it polycarbonate, (Lexan), but probably so...

Br,

Patrick
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

ask your tinter for true lifetime commercial film, like they use on buildings.

That wont degrade in a few years
Carl

Post by Carl »

Greylite 14 is glass though isn't it? I need to bend it a tad to fanagle into track. I was hoping to avoid a REAL mid season project by going with polycarbonate, or even acrylic if I had too.

Tint, I will look into the lifetime tint if I decide to go that route. I have a crack starting in one window and should replace, thought I'd kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks
Carl
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Carl,

GL14 is also a color available in cast acrylic, as before, I don't know if you can get it in polycarbonate...

Br,

Patrick
Raybo Marine NY

many years ago I had a shop that sold window tint, while they all offer a "lifetime gurantee", not all films are lifetime.

The theory was that most people would either not bother, not know the difference, or not own the vehicle long enough to take them up on it.

The labor is obviously the same, the film is roughly double in price.
Larger shops that specialze in commercial applications can offer you a much better film then your local auto parts store or stereo shop can.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Raybo,

You coming to the Montauk Rendezvous? If you're waiting to be invited, consider it done...

Br,

Patrick
Raybo Marine NY

Thank you for the invite-

I talked briefly with Craig Mac about it, we shall see what happens.
If we do go it will probably be by land just for an afternoon or so.
Carl

Post by Carl »

CaptPat, thanks I found it in acrylic under the new and improved name "Dark Grey" in a suppliers catalog.

I will recall suppliers today and ask for it by name, GL 14, Black Glass and Dark Grey, explain where they can find in their catalog and see what comes of it.

I was told along time ago to stay away from Acrylic in areas where someone can fall thru, especailly boat windshields. Reason being that acrylic breaks in shards (sp), long spikey pieces that can easily impail people. Truth or myth? I just like Polycarbonate as I am more familiar working with it and it is stronger.

Raybo, you make a very valid point. Next tint job I will specify Lifetime. I never really paid much attention when tinting before, pretty much went for the better stuff at the local autostore not thinking it was ALL lower end materials.

Thanks for help.
Carl