Two Bertram 31's displayed at the Boston Boat show

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Two Bertram 31's displayed at the Boston Boat show

Post by Dug »

I am going to the show tomorrow, and am looking forward to seeing two Bertram 31's that are on display.

The first is Gif Plume's old boat. After the transporting accident she was apparently purchased by McDougals marine on Cape Cod and "renovated" and repaired. The boat has been brought up to like new. It is listed for sale at $550,000!!!!! She has a couple big new Yanmar engines and they removed all windows, glassed the whole thing in, and installed two small forward windows like the boats at Tropic Star. I am interested in seeing this one in person...

There is also a boat that was done over in Maine, with gas engines and an asking price of somewhere in the neighborhood of $350,000. I understand from those who know that the level of craftsmanship on the second boat is much higher, and I am looking forward to seeing that one as well.

I promise I will report back.

Enjoy your weekends!!!

Dug
Tony Meola

Re: Two Bertram 31's displayed at the Boston Boat show

Post by Tony Meola »

Dug

Be interesting to hear your thoughts. But at those prices they are going to be eating those boats. Find it hard to believe someone would plunk that down.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Dug

Post by Dug »

Tony,

I agree. But then I wonder. The market seems to me to be divided. On one end, you can buy a running 38’ Special for under $85,000 and a 54’ for $300,000.

But then again, the Hinkley’s draw millions, and they have sold a bunch of Bertram 35’s for $750,000 plus each. So depending on the guy with the dollars, they may look like a bargain. That being said, you and I are probably on the same page. As I said to someone last week, all it take is the right person with the fat wallet for the boat to speak to him or her.

I will be tone deaf for sure and love mine. But yea, I think its on the steep side. It should be interesting to see what they did either way!

Hope you are well!

Dug
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Dug
This may be the 2nd one you mentioned. http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1963/Be ... ojM22aZMc0
I'm not in love with the bench on the flybridge.
I do like the way they did the welded stainless on the bridge. The handrails flow with the lines of the boat which is artistic.
Nice hardware on the windscreen.
The wood is real pretty up top, but it could be some upkeep.
Salon is nice, but I'm a fan of leaving the original layout. I use my lower helm on long rides to get out of the sun. But it's nice with the cane screen inlay.
Pretty boat.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dug

Someone would need really deep pockets to drop that type of change on a re-done 31.

Look forward to hearing about what you see.

Steve

In the words of Uncle Vic , that is a "Howdy Boat".
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

When people are laying down that kind of cash for Center Consoles with outboards...the asking prices for these Restoration 31's is not out of line.

My boat just turned 56 this year...sure I'd like it to be freshened up, new paint and power...
But the hull is solid, the old 440's are still quite dependable and I have no reservations going out in weather many others decide to sit out.

56 years old...damn...how many boats besides our 31's are still actively used...
How many other boats of our vintage are still around? When I got mine I was definitely one of the older boats in my marina...
A few older boats with fanatical owners that kept up after them...but soon as they relinquished stewardship the boats quickly showed their age and fading away, some cut up, others became project boats to new owners that bought cheap, Gung Ho they ripping them apart, restoring and replacing till the money dried up and they sat and sat till marina cut them up.

Just saying...rip out the innards and the 31 hull is a great platform for a new boat, great hull, great lines. I'd put it up against most new hulls offered today.
Dug

Post by Dug »

So. Steve, yes, it is Double Bogey from that listing. She’s even prettier in person, even though not my taste. Definitely a howdy boat. Beautiful fit and finish, and wonderful craftsmanship. She’s a pretty howdy boat, and a handful of upkeep. But very nice and really well done.

Sadly the second one, is not up to par. The more I think about what I saw, the more I was disapointed. The fit and finish left plenty to be desired. There were gaps, in sanded areas etc. The hull needed more fairing to be really pretty. Paint was good, but I wonder what was underneath due to the unevenness showing through. Then the meat and potatoes. Lots of missed opportunity.

1) the sea strainers are under the deck. Big honking groco’s. Internal. placed in such a location that you cannot open them and pull out the strainers because the deck is in the way.
2) No strut backing pads at all. Big bad!!!
3) All electrical connections are unsealed. No shrinkwrap in sight. That is terrible.
4) some kind of washdown pump is installed below deck, but not connected to anything.
5) Whole boat is built around the stereo. Fine. Except they are big pimp speaker covers, and it seems that the boat does not really fit the tunes.
6) fit and finish overall was lacking. Countertops were wooden, but varnished lightly. Gaps around them in spots, and unfortunate.

I like what he tried to do, but overall, just didn’t cross the finish line. Makes me wonder what I missed...

Nice enough guys, and they did give me a shirt, which was thoughtful. And the boat may find a happy owner. I hope it does. But at the end of the day, there are things missing. Dangerously.

Its good to be happy with the boat you already own! LOL!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dug

Thanks for the update. I bet that the second boat lacked fit and finish because they rushed it to get it to the show and then they probably hoped that someone would just jump on it because of its history.

Which one was Gif's boat the Howdy boat nicely done or the other one?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Dug

Post by Dug »

Tony, I Hope you are right on the reason for the missing details.

Question is whether they will go back and re-do everything that is off...

Gif’s boat is not the howdy boat.

Dug
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dug

Unfortunately they will probably only fix what is wrong when they realize that the missing pieces to the puzzle are the reason for the boats not selling.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Unfortunately, I see the market as being almost all outboards.
If you look at the magazines and what is being advertised, you see more and more 30, 35, 40 footers with outboards.....speed is the key.
I think that some of the really sweet re-dos and new 35s might wind up overseas.
Aside from that .... there are folks that just love the classics......a new Camaro or a 67 rally ? .... I know which I would rather own.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Dug

Post by Dug »

Steve,

You are right. But there is a LOT less competition in this portion of the market and there does seem to be a bit of a resurgence. Which I like.

But it has a long way to go to match the outboard cc’s for sure.
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

This may have already been posted here, but I just came across this video of the 31 Bertram renovated by McDougal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaUOPrTUUFA

John