Tool Bag vs Tool Box and where to store them

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

SteveM

Tool Bag vs Tool Box and where to store them

Post by SteveM »

I have been keeping tools in plastic boxes in the V Berth compartments.
Not really easy to take them in and out of those hatches.
And I'm not sure the plastic boxes really make much difference in keeping them sealed up from the elements.

I'm considering purchasing a couple of tool bags instead. I think they would drop into the V berth compartments with far less aggravation.

Now that the boat is in the backyard I don't have to leave stuff on it for long periods of time and I COULD take the bags off the boat in order to prolong the life of the tools too.

I was wondering if anyone has an organized method for stashing tools onboard that I have not thought of.
Would like to know what others use for bags or boxes and where they store them.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Tony Meola

Re: Tool Bag vs Tool Box and where to store them

Post by Tony Meola »

Steve

Had a tool box, then a bag. Not happy either way.

Best set up I ever saw was a guy I know who owns a 28 Carolina Classic. In the cabin right under the deck he glassed in a shelf right n the middle so it is right over the center line. He bolted a tool box to it. When he needs a tool he just lifts up the deck in the cabin and gets what he wants.

Not bad not perfect. I had the tools stored under the dinette, then in one of the small cabinets as you haead into the V berth. Not happy with any of those places. Have thought about doing the shelf but not sure there is enough height to get the box in there on top of the shelf and have the deck lay flat an not hit the box.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

This is a 28 not a 31.
This is the top shelf of tools, there are more tools, mainly spare parts like extra filters, impellers etc under these tools, accessible through the two removable hatches.

1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Thanks Yannis, that's nice and organized. I like that. It gives me some ideas.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Carl

Post by Carl »

I keep my tools in the draw to the left soon as you open the door, hatch under the settee gets longer tools, filters, clamps some hose, extra oil, has the inverter, ignition parts etc.

For me it kinda works as when working on motors, open draw while standing between motors and grab what you need. Emergency...its EZ to access and general jobs its center of boat so at worst you have to go half way to get something. Down side...it becomes the crap draw easily. After a project its just too EZ to toss it all in, shove it closed, go home with intentions to straighten it out next time your down.

I store tackle under the v-berth hatches...used to be in tackle boxs...but tough to get in and out, then plastic boxs...easier to get in and out, but always seems something doesn't fit right, box don't close so doesn't sit flat...or flips open when pulling out. Haven't come up with a good system yet for that stuff.
Offshore items are in those foldable bags...nice for flat stuff, but add a few bulky items and not so good anymore.

As last year was really my first full year back and that draw was picked clean of my good tools at my last yard...I left filled with crap, bought a tool bag, tools and toss under settee. Grab bag and start working...kinda nice...but looks like a bag of tools under table. Ok for 1st year...but its gonna have to go back in draw.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I store my tools i two tool bags under the helm seat. I also have a tool roll for screwdrivers, adjustable wrenches, etc. I like taking them out to the engine cover and spreading them out so I don't have to run back and forth for tools. Also, with tool bags, you can spray down the interior of them occasionally with Corrosion X to help keep the tools rust free, and the bags don't rust or scratch the boat.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

Do you rent yourself out to help organize things. Man that is better than my garage. I love that. My Garage only looks like that once a year, when I clean it out. The next day it is shot to hell.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Ha, Tony, it's called OCD !!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis wrote:Ha, Tony, it's called OCD !!

I feel for you. My cousins husband has that. It gets worse as you get older.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony, thank you, but it was supposed to be a joke...!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis wrote:Tony, thank you, but it was supposed to be a joke...!
You know I just missed that one.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Dug

Post by Dug »

For my tools I use a Veto ProPack bag. It is an upright pocketed bag that has zippered compartments, so if it dumps the tools don’t fall out. It has a solid plastic bottom to keep it dry. Its really well made and has held up for a few years without a problem at all! I love mine.

https://www.vetopropac.com/

Hope this helps!

Dug
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Steve,
I used to have a plastic tool box that I got at Lowe's, It was narrow enough to fit inside the cabinet forward of the refrigerator (Ice box on my boat) I cut the shelf under sink back enough so the box slid inside the cabinet without too much trouble. You might have to re-route the sink drain pipe. I stored large wrenches, hammers, saws and clamps under the dinette table in plastic milk crates cut on the angle of the hull with a piece of FRP scrap attached to the bottom of the cut milk crates . The tool box was wide enough so it didn't tip over inside the galley cabinet.

As for tackle storage I installed 3 tackle storage compartments into the cut outs under the dinette table and at the end of each dinette seat. They have 3 plastic tackle boxes in each with a plastic door that shuts tight. The 3 tray boxes are the only ones that fit into the openings, the 5 tray are to big for the forward dinette seat because of the curve of the hull and the depth of the boxes. I think they were made by Solo, I saw them installed in the back of a leaning post/seat on a center console. I had one box dedicated to sinkers, hooks, swivels buck tail jigs and crimps, the other two boxes had trolling lures, plugs and Rapalla's. The doors folded downwards so they laid onto the dinette seats. This set up did away with the large tackle box that I used to have bungee corded under the dinette table.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61