Bench seat

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kirkgeorge2

Bench seat

Post by Kirkgeorge2 »

Does anyone have the original flybridge bench seat they would like to sell?
Dug

Re: Bench seat

Post by Dug »

Kirk,

This has been a recurring question over the years. They are hard to come by but originally made by Pompanette. You may have some luck with them in getting a re-creation. Otherwise, maybe some success by working with your local marine metal fabricator. Guys who make towers, hard tops etc, might be able to help you fabricate one that meets your needs.

Hope that helps!

D
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Kirk

As dug said hard to come by. Pompenette is no help I tried them.

If you hinges are still in decent shape you could re use them and build another one. If you make up the bottom piece then the individual backs you can get new foam and covers put on by anyone who recovers boat seats.

I would not use play wood. Coosa board or something similar is a better option.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

It’s to bad I gave mine to Walter just before he passed.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

I have one in storage.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Same subject, I just removed the bottom part of my fb bench which in the 28 is a long single unit.
What is better, make a new one like the old one, that is, a plywood support with a foam top all wraped around in this white waterproof material OR have a permanent ply put in place and make an independent cushion that clips on and is removed in the winter so it is protected?
I want to stay away from specially made covers to protect the fixed one, so I figure how long does a permanent seat last?
I dont know how long this actual one lasted because when I bought the boat it was already there and I added 5 years before it needed to be changed.
On the other hand, the removable one is one additional item to put in the car, bring home, rinse...whereas the permanent gets rinsed alright with the rain!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

I have the same single long seat, and I had it recovered in 1997, so it lasts a long time! I also have a flybridge cover, so it is protected from the sun, which probably helps a lot.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis if I was making a new one, I would not go with plywood. Coosa board or some em thing else that is rot proof would work fine. At one point point I remember Capt. P)at putting up pictures of a build he did. Need to find that one.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thank you guys.
Tony, I am unable to find what coosa is. Nobody knows or seen this stuff over here.
On the other hand, the ply in my seat is probably stock, that is 45yo, and is still brand new!
The climate is very dry so really what suffers is the plastic and foam from the sun, not the support!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis wrote:Thank you guys.
Tony, I am unable to find what coosa is. Nobody knows or seen this stuff over here.
On the other hand, the ply in my seat is probably stock, that is 45yo, and is still brand new!
The climate is very dry so really what suffers is the plastic and foam from the sun, not the support!

Yannis

Make it last 100 years. Coat the plywood with Fiberglass Resin. That will water proof it.

I wish I could remember where CApt. Pats pics of the seat he built are on this board.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I found this below and here is the link. http://www.bertram31.com/bb/bbs.cgi?noframes;read=66283

Unfortunately the link to the Pics for the build on Shambala no longer work.

"Vince,

I'm the guy that made the bench seat. The link to Shambala's website is below and you can check out the pictures. Here are a couple of comments:

First, you will likely be MUCH happier making a bench seat for yourself as opposed to buying one. The challenge for you is going to be finding the hinges for the seat backs. However, I'm sure you can have something fabricated by any marine fabricator.

Second, if you build a bench seat yourself you will not need to have center supports. What I did was use a material called skidguard (an epoxy infused plywood wood for dock surfaces). It's a heavy plywood that doesn't flex very much and is obviously very resistent to rot. I took two 3/4" pieces and attached them together with fasteners every 4". I also used West System epoxy with collodial silica mixed in to bond the two pieces together. I did spend $400 to have two stainless steel supports made, but never used them because the bench was so stiff on its own (the fasteners and epoxy will prevent any flexing).

Third, I went to an auto upolstery shop and had the guy hand stitch the pleats in. It turned out awesome and only cost me $600 with high density foam and premium vinyl material. The marine upolstery places all wanted $1000+.

Fourth, I made mock up/template version out of 1/2" plywood and put that in the helm for two reasons: One, I wanted to be able to test the fit for movement, etc. Two, I decided I only wanted two seat backs, but wanted them larger than the stock bench seat. This enabled me to exit the helm easily, but maximize the seatback area. I can sit three on the helm easily. Two on the bench with seat backs, and one sitting sideway straddling the bench. It works much better this way is really nice when the reels go off and I want to get off the helm in a hurry. I used to frequently catch my foot on the folded down seat back and was convinced that sooner or later I would do a header into the cockpit.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them or e-mail me and I'll get you my phone number."
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thanks Tony.
bobfioresi

Post by bobfioresi »

I have the hinges for a 31 bridge seat and the hardware. It was walter kaprilians and he gave it to me before he passed. It was kind of ratty when i took it and when i moved took off the hardware thinking someone could use them i didn't know it came from peter p's the pieces are in my trailer in ny and i'm in fla for the winter but your willing to have them when i get back up nrth in may.if you would like them call me at 631 965 3941 cell and leave a message happy holidays bob
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Bob. I’m almost certain that’s the one I gave Walter. He wanted the extra parts to rebuild.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

If someone is missing or has a broken hinge, and want one of them, just check the one you have against Bob's. They change slightly changed the design and bolt position over the years.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315