5th Annual North Carolina Bertram 31 Rendezvous

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Lin Spears

5th Annual North Carolina Bertram 31 Rendezvous

Post by Lin Spears »

If all the discussion about a FL Keys Event is too much, come up and join us on the Outer Banks of NC. On June 2, we are having our 5th Annual event. Festivities will begin Friday Noon (when RAPSCALLION and I arrive from Wrightsville Beach) with fraternization, collaborations, and beer "clinics" dockside at Jim Bailey's Anchorage Marina (home of BUDDY BOY, SAWDUST-John C Williams, HATTRICK-Cross Williams, RELENTLESS - Joe Russell, and ISLAND GIRL - Tommy Drake). We'll have 6 - 31's there as our core group and if any others wish to dock over, call me to make arrangements.

As usual, we will parade to Harkers Island (within the beacons reach of the Cape Lookout Lighthouse) on Saturday starting at 9:00 AM for all Saturday dockside fellowship. We will be hosted by Jim Maxwell (BILLBOARD) and his parents and sister Ann. Lunch will be catered by Harkers island's own "HamburgerMan". All we need is some about 30 more 31's and some nice weather.

If you are interested in attending with or without your boat, please e-mail me ( lin_spears@countrywide.com ) or better yet, call me at 910-228-8456. We have plenty of cheap motels nearby and we welcome all Bertram 31 Lovers, friends, and family. you guy's from the Keys will love it out here on the "banks"!
Cross

Post by Cross »

Lin,
Thanks for letting us know the date. Count on the Hat Trick being in line headed to Harkers Island on Saturday morning, June 2nd. Along with John C on the Sawdust, I hope Joel will be able to us on the SeeSaw, his B20. The Maxwell's are gracious to host the event again and you are terrific to organize us one more time. Anne and I have traveled to Italy to visit Rush who is studying in Florence. Yesterday, we took a train to the coastal town of Santa Margherita. Today about 6:00 pm, I looked out over the water and saw the unmistakeable profile of a B31 headed into the seaside town of Rapallo. It does not matter where in the world you are, the 31 is not only the best built boat in the world but also the best looking boat in the world. Thanks again - we look forward to seeing you on June 2nd.
Cross
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Having been to one, I highly reccomend it.

Like all the get togethers, a great bunch of people.

Just watch out for the coast guard by the inlet.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Lin,

Thanks for your efforts in keeping this tradition going. We will be there thanks to all the work by my brother, Eddy, in getting Island Girl ready for another season. The Maxwells are mighty gracious to host our rag-tag group at Harkers Point. Let me know of anything that I can do to help.

Bruce,

Thanks for your warning re: the Coast Guard. For those who missed it, one year we had about ten 31s leave the rendezvous at Harkers Island headed toward Beaufort Inlet with Island Girl on the point. As we leisurely cruised down the backside of Shackleford Banks, the testosterone kicked in and I saw John C's Sawdust, Lin Spear's Rapscallion and Jim Bailey's Buddy Boy (with Patrick and Bruce on the bridge) blow by me at around 30 knots. I shoved down the throttles to get in the mix when I saw the big orange USCG RIB a quarter mile ahead. I throttled back and then watched as the Coast Guard crew had a little discussion with the renagade 31 crews involved. If only I'd had my video camera. Last I heard, Bruce was inquiring of the officer-in-charge as to the posted speed limit in the open water. What a day......

Tommy
Jim Bailey

Post by Jim Bailey »

If anyone needs a place for the night either Friday or Saturday, give me a call at 252-241-1200 or email me and we can work out to hang on the dock behind my house at the marina. i am out of town Friday but will be there Saturday Morning. Hopefully John McCallum will consent to run Buddy Boy for me.
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

Maybe Ricky might want to arrive with his fancy, wood pellet grill and show it off. The Hatteras guys could show off their cooking talent! Timmy you showing up???
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Terry, seems unlikely at this point. still to much to deal with up here. Things aren't quite as gloomy as projected. Like to make it down to hang with you and drink Ricks beer and have him cook for us though. maybe late summer
neil

Post by neil »

timmmmmmmmmmmy your buddy jr got a 30 inch bass this morning before school its fish tacos tonite neil
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Jp wussed out for the 7th. If I let you take me fishing , your gonna have to let me get a word in , every now and again.
and I want to use my cost as much as gold(or cocaine) Hank Altenkirck spinning rods, as the only thing I've caught on them before was pacific sails and yellowfin tuna.
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

Got the reels yet??? I know...what the answer is.
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

trouble maker.....................
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Not wussed out, gotta work in Nashville 5-9 of May.
Come on down the weekend after, I'll get you pukin in somebody elses bowl, bring the breath mints.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

probably fathers day weekend.
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Lin,
Once again I am planning on coming down to Harkers Island. I am trying to get oil coolers looked at and options for repair or replace. I hope to know more by the end of next week.

Frank
CHASER
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Capt. Frank,

We look forward to seeing you and your family.....your first mate is really growing up. Keep us posted on your eta.

Tommy