Starting batteries for a 454 gasser

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Starting batteries for a 454 gasser

Post by John F. »

I have Group 31 Deep Cycles (lead acid) in my '69 B31 gasser. They've been in there 4 years, and one battery has a dead cell, so its time for replacements. My boat sits at my dock, and I don't plug into electric/shore power while at home. The boat has 2 batteries, one mounted outboard of the port motor and one outboard of the starboard motor. I have switches to combine them, isolate them, etc., and usually keep them isolated (port starting and starboard starting). I use the boat for fishing/cruising the Chesapeake, with about 3 cruising overnights a year at marinas where I plug in.

Current thought (get it?) is to get another set of Group 31 deep cycles since they've lasted 4 years. Or should I get 24 or 27 starting batteries, AGM batteries, or what? Any suggestions?

Thanks

John F.
Mack

Post by Mack »

John-
I have 4 group 31's on my boat- two house and one for each engine. I just replaced the two house and stbd. battery about a month ago as they were pushing 6+ years according to the date stamp. Went to West Marnine thinking I would upgrade to AGM, however I got talking to a West rep who is a fanatic on electrical systems. After 45 minutes of prolonged discussion, I expalined my application and he convinced me to replace everything with what I had, which was a 650 CCA grp. 31. He said I could easily go to a 24 or 27 for just the starting batttery, however, my battery boxes are set up for 31's. I believe they were about $120 apiece.

Going to Lowe's late Friday or early Sat. to fill her up. You been down there lately?
John F.

Post by John F. »

Crae-

Thanks. I went to tonight and picked up another G31. I have about 2/3 tank in the B31--filled up at the workboat dock in Knapps Narrows. Let me know if you go to Lowe's. Lots of rock in E.Bay--jigging and working schools will get dinks but also a few keepers mixed in. Catch the am bite in EBay, then go to Lowe's for gas and lunch.

John F.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I have the Optima AGM deepcycle batteries that have been in my boat for 5+ years. Still going strong. I highly recommend them. About $140 a piece. You can get them at Costco, walmart or Advance Auto. Just make sure that you have an AGM charger or they will die quickly. Rawleigh
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31