winter waves

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Yannis

winter waves

Post by Yannis »

A friend of mine is standing on the dock of the Mykonos port, awaiting for the ferry to bring him back.
Just in case any of you would wish to see how the Aegean looks like in the winter.
In the summer, when it's equally windy (the meltemia) the situation is the same, only its 35 instead of 10, and the whole sea is blinding yellow from the sun. Not a Bertram weather this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=36&v=h9M1tkbd6tg
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Navatech

Re: winter waves

Post by Navatech »

Yannis, please allow me to "fix" your post for you :-)))
A friend of mine is standing on the dock of the Mykonos port, awaiting for the ferry to bring him back.
Just in case any of you would wish to see how the Aegean looks like in the winter.
In the summer, when it's equally windy (the meltemia) the situation is the same, only its 35 C (about 95 F) instead of 10 C (about 50 F), and the whole sea is blinding yellow from the sun. Not a Bertram weather this one.

Last edited by Navatech on Apr 10th, '15, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

By all means. Thank you.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Lest somebody get the wrong idea, these regional winds do NOT flow this hard all the time... Sometimes, especially in the late summer, The whole Med can be as still as a pond... Sea state (Beaufort Scale) 0...

And yes, while we enjoy sunny conditions from May/June until well into September/October summer storms (with sea states up 12) do occur... And, one can have too much of a good thing (sun)... Just like in FL and the Caribbean, much summer boating is done in the morning and afternoon in order to avoid the worst heat of the day...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Navatech wrote:much summer boating is done in the morning and afternoon in order to avoid the worst heat of the day...
Heat means wind. So to avoid the wind, and the consequential waves, you cruise early. If you haven't left by 6 or 7 in the morning, you may not be able to leave port for the day anymore.

This video shows a 150 meter vessel at a Force 8ish ( maybe upwards) on the Beaufort scale. The last minutes of the film are less than a mile out from the port.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Not a day to venture out...

...unless fish are biting.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

40 years ago I probably would of said lets see if she can take it. But now, I am older and wiser.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Carl wrote:Not a day to venture out...
Depends on what you're going out on... While I'm sure that many of the passengers (especially the tourists - the locals are used to the sea) on that ferry aren't having such a great time the ferry itself is in no real immediate danger... Many of these ferries are rear loading instead of having the lifting/opening bow... And you can see the reason why...
Carl wrote:...unless fish are biting.
Nah... I fish for pleasure... If it's no fun I wouldn't go out... Now, if I were a commercial fisher that would be another story altogether...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

In the, perhaps, hundreds of Greek ferries, maybe one or two are bow loading. Only the typical flat, open air ferries that connect two points are bow loading but these are usually not subjected to such violent conditions as they are only "back and forth" shuttles between straits lacking a bridge. Some are also front and rear loading so as to minimize maneuvering time for boats and cars alike. Also, they are usually the first ones to be halted by the coastguard when there's a rough forecast.
To say, though, that locals are used to the rough seas is an overstatement. Otherwise one can't explain the loads of liquids (a polite term) on decks and floors...

Tony, you were probably always wise, now just a bit older! But we only care about wisdom, not age !!
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Is it my imagination, or is that ferry listing to port towards the end of the video?
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Jack,

She's listing alright, because of the wind!
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

jackryan wrote:Is it my imagination, or is that ferry listing to port towards the end of the video?
Yep, she was listing... Probably due to the wind...