windshield leak

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bertramp

windshield leak

Post by Bertramp »

Windshield on my Bahia Mar keeps leaking.
Boought foam stick on gasketing and did the bottom and sides ... still leaking (duh, shoulda done the top first).
Is there a tried and true way to seal these aluminum windshields ?
Is the original gasketting still available ?
I have only a bimini top coming off of the windshield, so it gets total exposure 24/7.
Would love to 5200 the damn thing closed, but know that's not the answer.
Thanks
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Pete Fallon

Re: windshield leak

Post by Pete Fallon »

Steve,
The window seal is still available, If we are talking about the same seal material, the one between the aluminum frames on the actual window itself. It is called bulb seal, I was able to find it at the Window Doctor in Stuart Florida (off of Jack James Drive, the road to American Custom Yachts, off Kanner Highway Rt 76 just west of the I 95 exit) The stuff is not cheap it cost me around $2.50 per foot, it is black and fits into the groove on the window section. The other stuff on the bottom of the windshield white vinyl between the window frame and the fiberglass lip is made by Taylor Made (windshield people). I used black silicon to seal mine shut before I found the bulb shield (my window frames were painted black). Try some GE silicon either clear or gray color to keep the water out for a short period of time. They never fully stop leaking unless you fiberglass the front windows completely closed.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

If I'm not mistaken, Capt. Patrick has posted a link here in the past for the window gasket material.

JR
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

My son installed the following "D" gasket and we have not had a leak all summer. It is rubber and shaped like a "D". When you close the window it squashes down and creates a solid seal. If you do buy the stuff call me and we will tell you the best way to install. It's not rocket science. They use this stuff on Airstream trailer windows. You can call Inland RV ctr. in Ca. @ 951-734-8130 and the part # is 45370. Good Luck
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

ed c. wrote:My son installed the following "D" gasket and we have not had a leak all summer. It is rubber and shaped like a "D". When you close the window it squashes down and creates a solid seal. If you do buy the stuff call me and we will tell you the best way to install. It's not rocket science. They use this stuff on Airstream trailer windows. You can call Inland RV ctr. in Ca. @ 951-734-8130 and the part # is 45370. Good Luck
Ed ...
I just sent a "PM" .... not sure if it went through .... I bought the gasketting.

BERTRAMP1@aol.com
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

McMaster Carr also has lots of silicone gasket shapes for sale by the foot. They even sell the magnetized refrigerator door seals by the foot.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31