Winter lay-up with Ethanol fuel in Fiberglass Fuel Tanks

All discussions pertaining to Ethanol Laced Fuels

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Scuba-Do

Winter lay-up with Ethanol fuel in Fiberglass Fuel Tanks

Post by Scuba-Do »

Hi, I have a 1985 Bertram 30 Flybridge Cruiser with a 220 Gallon Fiberglass Tank. The old procedure when winterizing is to fill the tank and add fuel stabilizer. By filling the tanks you prevent condensation from depositing water in the fuel over the winter. That was before E-10 / Ethanol Gasoline. Now they say that some and maybe all fiberglass resins are susceptible to the Ethanol. In other words the Ethanol in the gas could over time dissolves the Fiberglass Resin . Many Bertram Fiberglass tanks have been comprised because of this. Also, some owners have experienced engine failure when deposits of the resin ended up in the valves. I have been treating my Gas with Startron on every fuel up. Startron helps prevents Ethanol Phase separation, but it does not protect from the Ethanol compromising the resin.

I read in one forum that Boat US recommends that all Fiberglass tank should be left empty for Winter Lay-up.

What should be the new winterizing procedures for boat owner who have Bertrams or other Boats with Fiberglass Tanks?

Thanks

PS: Here is a link to a picture of my Bertram

http://fantasyhrderby.com/images/Scuba_ ... terBay.jpg
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Scuba_do,

I think allowing ethanol laced fuel in a fiberglass fuel tank over the winter or any length of time is just asking for it. There has been a lot written about the situation on this forum and others, but I do not recall just how long it takes for the ethanol to start breaking down the resin. Thankfully, we don't have the crap down here in SW Florida yet.

One thing is for sure though, and that is the stuff will do a number on your tank and eventually your engines.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I have a 31 and a 20. Thankfully, the 31 is diesel. The ethanol started doing a number on my engine, but I may have caught it in time. Because of stern drive problems, the boat has been on blocks for two seasons now and what I did was empty my tank. If you can, use it in your car. No one will take it from you. That's the biggest problem. Be very careful in the removal process. On the other side, Boat US still recommends filling the tanks...but doesn't talk about whether fiberglass tanks make a difference. I think they do. Walter
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Leave them empty and deal with any condensation in the spring!!! I'll take a little water anytime over ethanol damage. The tiny bit of water won't hurt the tank and will be easy to get rid of in the Spring, especially if you fill up with E10.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

How long you been running with ethanol? Its been up here for at least two years, so maybe you got one of the glass tanks that may not have problems. I hope so for your sake, cause changing them is a bitch however, not as bad as other boats.

If you just introduced ethanol to the tank, you may be screwed either way. You have E-10 in it now and damage may have starting, empty tank for winter...maybe it stops, maybe not. Next season you gotta put fuel back in and it starts all over again. So whats the difference, less fuel to go bad if left empty?

Keep an eye on plugs and watch for all the warning signs, got my fingers crossed you got a better E-10 resistant tank
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Whether you have good glass tanks or aluminum ones, if the tanks are old (and all Bertram ones are) Ethanol will dissolve the old varnish and sludge before it gets to the fiberglass walls. Change fuel filters more often than you normally would. Walter
Scuba-Do

Ethanol and the Bertram fiberglass fuel tanks

Post by Scuba-Do »

I have been using Ethanol based fuel for 2 years now. It's possible that my 1985 Bertram 30 Fiberglass tank is one that was made with the ethanol resistant resin, however I'm not taking any chances.

I'm going to drain the tank through the pick-up and deal with the condensation issues. I will dump some Startron to deal any fuel in the tank. They claim that Starton prevents phase separation.

I want to thank all of you guys for your help!!
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

On most tanks on the aft top end there is usually a placard that will tell if the tank is safe for methanol or ethanol. I have an 83 , but some dufus painted over the placard, but I'm sure it is of the old resin. I seem to recall that boat tanks were not of the ethanol proof resin until the 90's. The data is somewhere in the threads on the olds site in the archives.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Harv

Re: Ethanol and the Bertram fiberglass fuel tanks

Post by Harv »

Scuba-Do wrote:I have been using Ethanol based fuel for 2 years now. It's possible that my 1985 Bertram 30 Fiberglass tank is one that was made with the ethanol resistant resin, however I'm not taking any chances.

I'm going to drain the tank through the pick-up and deal with the condensation issues. I will dump some Startron to deal any fuel in the tank. They claim that Starton prevents phase separation.

I want to thank all of you guys for your help!!
Using Startron didn't save me from my ethanol problems.
Switching to a new ethanol resistant fiberglass tank and then getting diesels.
Harv
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Harv,

Don't forget, your boat is a lot older than his.
Regards,

Doug L.
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

I don't know about other NY er's but I have used e-10 for four yrs now. I'm on Long Island. So far so good. I blend with Marvel Mystery oil.

On this yrs haul out I will have maybe a quarter of a tank of petrol. I seal both carbs with plastic food wrap. No moisture gets in. I also have four 100 watt light bulbs hanging between the engines. The oil is changed at haul out. And news paper and platic bags are stuffed tightly in the exhaust system at the transome. The engines are sealed against moisture and are frost free.

Boy, are they happy.
A/K/A El Gaupo