TANK LINING

All discussions pertaining to Ethanol Laced Fuels

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

craig mac

TANK LINING

Post by craig mac »

My yard recently did a tank with coating from the following company-does anybody know them?

http://www.dudick.com/
R Cahoon

Post by R Cahoon »

I am all for keeping the fiberglass tank. But just lining the tank might not be enough. Check with company doing the lining to see if there going to stand behind the job and product. A local marine company had a industral tank lining company come in a reline four Bertram tanks. I understand one reline has failed.
As I see it, open the tank see what you have if it looks good lay up two to three laminates of the RIGHT material made for this application allong with the right resin.
I have been luckly I have running ethanol free this season, but will be doing something with my tank this winter. First I got to see what I have after opening my 85 gallon tank in my B25. If relining is not a good option, then maybe make a new fiberglass tank or lastly an aluminum tank.

Keep Smilin
craig mac

Post by craig mac »

from my understanding--once tank is removed and rivits are gound down for baffel removal---the tank's inner surface will be grinded and additional new layers of glass will be added and then a recommended primer will be used and then the coating
Chuck Fulmer

Post by Chuck Fulmer »

Craig
I agree with Ron. I prefer to have the glass tanks. I have been looking into relining my tanks. I did not see where the resins in the link you showed have the UL 1316 listing for all fuels. The Interplastic's resin VE 8770 has this UL rating. The Interplastic web site list Composite One as a distributor for this resin. I talked with the Miami office and they referred me to Carl Jorbert for technical information. After the grinding and cleaning he said to lay down a 4-5 mil layer of resin then add the mat and a veil (to improve surface finish and to provide a resin rich area in corrosion resistant tank linings) with the vinyl ester resin. He suggested in the final layer of resin to include paraffin to exclude air to create an extra hard surface. Carl also said that the work could be done in the boat if you can get to the tanks and have adequate ventilation. He also said that the tanks with interior gelcoat would have to have the gel coat remove. I talked with Ted Swanson SAM surveyor in Key Largo about documenting the relining and materials used, to maintain resell value of the boat. He said that the process should also be document with photos. I really feel that proper preparation and glassing technique are as important as the correct resin. Carl is going to check and call me back if VE 8770 in the best resin for this purpose.

Chuck
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

hey guys i to will be relining my tanks because i have no choice. lol being 24 yrs old i don't have the money like some of the older guys in here that can buy one of those pretty ones from high tide for $3800. I will be documenting my progress as much as i can more for you guys than insurance and resale value. So if you have any questions just ask I also have removed the tank all in one piece out of my 28 so if any needs any help on theirs just let me know. I'm also no expert on this so any advice you guys have on relining please let me know or just keep adding to this post. I'm also planning on using the interplastics resin and my tank is gelcoated which stinks but at least i know the fiberglass should be in good shape. Since my tank has never seen ethanol.
Veracity

Post by Veracity »

scooter28 you have pm
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

OK I'll fall for it.. what's pm? WALTER
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Walter, its a Private message
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Peter

Post by Peter »

Scooter 28;

How did the removal of the tank from the 28 go?

I have a 26 but I believe the basic design is similar with regards to the tank installation.

Peter