I PAD

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

I PAD

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I know we may not be ready to give up our marine electronics yet but technology is getting better!

Nav App

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/inavx-m ... mpt=uo%3D4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Waterproof Case

http://www.lifejacketcase.com/waterproof-ipad-case/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And now.......Transducer

http://vexilar.com/products/index.php?prodNum=SP200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
SteveM

Re: I PAD

Post by SteveM »

Peter, I've seen guys at the dock that have built in recessed areas for the iPad display, which then shows the data. They can also take it out of the dash and use it over their onboard network. Pretty slick.
Steve
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

The problem with iPads (as well as iPhones) is that using the GPS chews up the battery as if there's no tomorrow… Add WiFi or Bluetooth (for wireless speakers) and you'll get maybe a couple of hours out of a full battery… And I'm speaking from experience… And I have yet to see a waterproof case that has the power line built-in...
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

As I understand it the case I put the link for has a waterproof USB charging port that is not on their website yet. But should be available soon.
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Best waterproof case :

http://www.lifeproof.com/en/ipad/?path=TopNav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1965/2007 Bertram 31
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

That's the case my wife has so far so good. Anyone have a Bluetooth GPS for one yet. Wife was wondering about having one so she could see where we were from the cabin.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Capt.Frank wrote:That's the case my wife has so far so good.
I have their case for my iPhone and it works perfectly… However, even that case is NOT waterproof when the charging cable is connected…
Capt.Frank wrote:Anyone have a Bluetooth GPS for one yet.
What version IPad does your wife have? IIRC, some (all?) of the WiFi versions do not have a GPS built-in. However, all G3 versions have a GPS built in. Possibly you already have the GPS built-in?!...
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Here is a bluetooth GPS receiver that I have heard works great. It can supply gps data to up to 5 devices at a time:

http://bad-elf.com/pages/be-gps-2200-detail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the same company also sells a gps receiver for the iphone. This is great for use offshore where you don't have cell coverage.

http://bad-elf.com/pages/be-gps-1008-detail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a good iPhone GPS app that my brother gave me recently:

http://www.isailgps.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I know it was said already but some of the newer version IPAD and IPHONE have a built in GPS that does not require cell service, blue tooth or WIFI
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Peter,

I've been using it in the marine environment, and it works fairly well, but I've had some problems with the accuracy of the internal GPS while offshore out of sight of cell towers. It usually happens while moving, so maybe it's loosing lock on the satellites. Also, I'm using this on an iPhone, not an iPad. The Ipad may have a more robust antenna. Although the answer is geared toward aviation, they address this in their FAQ's:

I already have GPS in my iPad (cellular) or iPhone. Why do I need the Bad Elf GPS?

The GPS receiver inside these 3G devices works great on the ground, particularly when in range of a 3G cellular network. The internal Apple GPS is a real GPS receiver, but the size of the device and its proximity to other antennas limits performance. To get around this, these internal GPS receivers use Assisted GPS data from cellular network towers to obtain a faster signal lock. The GPS works even if you don’t pay for monthly 3G service from a wireless provider.

These internal GPS receivers were not designed for aviation, so most pilots report that they lose lock, or have trouble maintaining a lock, when at altitudes greater than 2,000 AGL or when operating at high speeds. Under such conditions, lock times can take 5-20 minutes, if you get lock at all. In contrast, the Bad Elf GPS delivers better performance with rock solid WAAS GPS locks at altitudes up to 60K feet and at speeds up to 1,000 mph. Acquire a satellite lock in as little as 30-45 seconds and observe accuracy to 2.5 meters.

The Bad Elf GPS delivers...

Twice the accuracy (2.5m vs 5m)
Ten times the sampling rate (10Hz vs. 1Hz)
More sensitivity, enabling use in urban canyon environments!

For those of you that have repowered your 31 with the larger engines, this should help you maintain GPS lock as you approach speeds of 1000 mph
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Good to know Jack thanks..
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

jackryan wrote:Peter,

I've been using it in the marine environment, and it works fairly well, but I've had some problems with the accuracy of the internal GPS while offshore out of sight of cell towers. It usually happens while moving, so maybe it's loosing lock on the satellites. Also, I'm using this on an iPhone, not an iPad. The Ipad may have a more robust antenna. Although the answer is geared toward aviation, they address this in their FAQ's:

I already have GPS in my iPad (cellular) or iPhone. Why do I need the Bad Elf GPS?

The GPS receiver inside these 3G devices works great on the ground, particularly when in range of a 3G cellular network. The internal Apple GPS is a real GPS receiver, but the size of the device and its proximity to other antennas limits performance. To get around this, these internal GPS receivers use Assisted GPS data from cellular network towers to obtain a faster signal lock. The GPS works even if you don’t pay for monthly 3G service from a wireless provider.

These internal GPS receivers were not designed for aviation, so most pilots report that they lose lock, or have trouble maintaining a lock, when at altitudes greater than 2,000 AGL or when operating at high speeds. Under such conditions, lock times can take 5-20 minutes, if you get lock at all. In contrast, the Bad Elf GPS delivers better performance with rock solid WAAS GPS locks at altitudes up to 60K feet and at speeds up to 1,000 mph. Acquire a satellite lock in as little as 30-45 seconds and observe accuracy to 2.5 meters.

The Bad Elf GPS delivers...

Twice the accuracy (2.5m vs 5m)
Ten times the sampling rate (10Hz vs. 1Hz)
More sensitivity, enabling use in urban canyon environments!

For those of you that have repowered your 31 with the larger engines, this should help you maintain GPS lock as you approach speeds of 1000 mph
Great information, thanks Capt. -- btw, I won't have to worry about losing lock with my engines, unless I turn them up to 11.

Tom
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Just to keep this thread up to date

There is now a waterproof USB charging port. Although it looks to only be water proof when not charging.

http://www.lifejacketcase.com/purchase/ ... t-built-in" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

PeterPalmieri wrote:Just to keep this thread up to date

There is now a waterproof USB charging port. Although it looks to only be water proof when not charging.

http://www.lifejacketcase.com/purchase/ ... t-built-in" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The way I see it is that the iPad is contained in a water proof environment while being charged… But, the port that serves as the power in port isn't waterproof… Good for use on the flybridge of my 48' Bert but useless on my 20' bow rider and my 17' jet boat…