Engine room paint

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Todd Pearce

Engine room paint

Post by Todd Pearce »

Now that I have the bulkhead out its out with the engines, and time to clean and repaint the engine Room, I`ve had some advice to use Flow Coat, others say use hi-gloss paint (easy to clean), still others say ,just paint the bottom and cover everything else with noise protection silver foil liner. I `am not sure what the hell to do???
Rawleigh

Re: Engine room paint

Post by Rawleigh »

This is what I used.

http://www.por15.com/WhiteCote_p_44.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Did you sand/grind/fill and fair yet? With the engines out, it made a HUGE difference not only in appearance but in the function -- nothing stuck in cracks/grooves -- my knuckles no longer got skinned by a rough spot when a tool slipped (as if that ever happens, right?"

Tom
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

No I have not done anything yet ,engines come out Wednesday, then ill have a big clean up and see what ive got, I wasn't planning on a full grind and fair job ,but pehaps your right, Whats involved?
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

In my case, skinned knuckles, a lot of bourbon and Advil. Seriously, nothing more than a bunch of labor on your part. I used a DA with I think 80 grit (after I degreased and scrubbed it all out) and after I got it pretty close I made up a peanut butter consistency mix of West and microspheres -- troweled that on and tried to flatten it as smooth as possible, a couple more sands and it was a good as it was going to get. I think I probably went after it over 3 weekends, maybe 3 hours a day.

TOm
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Cool,sounds doable, will let you know how it goes,
Marshall Mahoney

Post by Marshall Mahoney »

Take a look at PPG PSX 700. I used it on my deck. Hard, high gloss, and cleans easily.
http://www.ppg.com/corporate/ppgwind/si ... mc_psx.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Craig G

Post by Craig G »

I just use white interlux 2000 epoxy paint. It covers well and sticks like epoxy glue.
Thanks,
Craig
1968 31 Bahia Mar 316-664 SeaZAR
2003 17 Cape Horn
1999 35 Contender Side Console
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Craig,

Is this the Interlux product you used to paint your engine room space?

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/interlux ... t-kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Craig G

Post by Craig G »

Yes, that is what I used. I had about half a gallon left over after I did my bottom job last year and figured I would try it out for bilge paint. It worked very well, and slowly but surely I will paint all accessable areas. Whenever I pull the tank (replace deck and/or engines), I will finish it with interlux 2000 if it still holds up. The stuff is about $100 per gallon though.
Thanks,
Craig
1968 31 Bahia Mar 316-664 SeaZAR
2003 17 Cape Horn
1999 35 Contender Side Console
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

On the Capt's building tips page engines, I thought he used the "instant faring" shower stall stuff from Home Depot or gelcoated sheets of fiberglass MCMaste-Carr? Thought it was for main sections in this area would take the ground knuckles out of equation!! Just a thought.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Guys:

Do you not recommend the Bilgecoat stuff from Interlux? Painting my bilge and engine beds also this year. Any recommendations appreciated.

Mark
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Bilgecoat sucks, soft sticky bleah. I just used a 2part Benjamin Moore store- Richards industrial floor coat. Very popular up here in Stuart with the custom guys.seems very hard ,levels well and quite washable. Only negative is that it's very fumey for a day or so. Wear a resperator and keep the electric off,,,,boom? I repeat bilge coat,, ick
Bill
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Bilgecote peeled off on me where it set in water.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

I had some left over from the bottom job, so I decided if it was good enough for the bottom, it was good enough for the bilge -- Interprotect 2000 -- and then decided I hated having a grey bilge and shot some Brightside over that. The last I saw of it, it was still in there and shiney white!

Tom
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

Go for 2 part !!! this can stand antifreeze , and gas or diesel.
Never use the international bilge paint , it is crap !!

Gert
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I used the Interprotect also when I did my bilge area. I went over it with Bilge Coat, sorry guys, but it is holding up well. The only issue is, I find the bilge coat does not really clean up easily. Seems to stain.

If you go for the Interprotect, put down at least two coats. It seals out oil, water, and what ever else you throw at it. You really don't need a lot. A gallon will do the whole back end unless you pull the tank and paint there also.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Thamks guys ,i`m going to follow Gerts advice and go two pack