northeast restoration

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

randall

northeast restoration

Post by randall »

i have a good friend who is considering buying a 31. he wants to know who does the best restoration work in our area. what say you? thinkin jersey to mass.
Pete Fallon

Re: northeast restoration

Post by Pete Fallon »

Randall,
If he's in New Jersey it's Tom Oaks, in Massachusetts either Hunter on Cape Cod (can't think of his last name he did Dug Stowe's boat I think) or Dion's Yacht Yard Salem, Ma. or Winter Island Boat Yard also in Salem, The best fiberglass guy around works out of both places in Salem, his name is Dana Sponagale. He did my gel coat 20 years ago and it still shines like new, the Awlgrip lasted about 18 years it's now peeling and needs to be redone. The New York and LI guys will chime in for places on the island. Make sure he gets a good marine fiberglass & painter, not an auto body guy. No offence to the auto body guys but their work just doesn't impress me. I am very particular about marine painters and glass guys.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I can't say enough good things about Rob @ Raybo marine in lindenhurst, also a member of this site.

The work he did on my boat was near perfection but what was even better was his communication skills, detailed estimate and timeline. He came highly recommended by others on this site and delivered on all accounts.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I would also recommend Raybo for fiberglass and paint work.

I am not sure if Rob will undertake the mechanical areas for a restoration or a repower.
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Pete,

I thought for sure you were going to say Dana Ducette. I've never heard of Dana Sponagale. Also, any intel on how Brewers is making out at Hawthorne Cove? I have some down the road projects I was considering them for.
Regards,

Doug L.
randall

Post by randall »

thanks.....i'll send the info along.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I can vouch for Peter Haywood of Winter Island Yacht Yard.. have known him and his wife for more than 30 years.. honest and competent. I have no experience with Dion's but certainly knew of them since I lived in the eastern MA area for 25 years. They also have a very good reputation.

Both yards are in Salem, MA.. I lived in Beverly, the next town to the north.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Doug L,
Dana Sponagle has worked around the North shore for years the last time I saw him he had gone to work full time at Dions, he a big (large) guy that really knows his stuff when it comes to fiberglass repairs. I know the other Dana also, I haven't heard anything about what is going on at Hathorne Cove now that Brewster has taken over. How's things at PCYC say hello to Wayne J the bartender.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Same old same old at PCYC.

I'm heading down there tonight. If I see Wayne I'll tell him you said hello.
Regards,

Doug L.
gplume

Post by gplume »

Skip Helm at brewer st boatworks in newport has done some nice work.if any of you have seen Kristy at one of the rendevous ,i believe that was his handiwork. His B 31 Wahine is'nt so bad either.
Giff
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Hunter Scott makes cabinets now one of the guys in Salem did work on the old mojo for its new owner looks pretty good I could find out more if you wanted to go that far I remember that "kristy" from years ago pretty sweet
Mitch
Dug

Post by Dug »

Tom Oakes comes with a great rep, and I have been talking with him about work possibly this winter. He has gotten a bit hard to get a hold of and its a bit frustrating.
Skip Helme has a beautiful track record, and he and I are also talking. He's a fantastic guy, honest, helpful and runs a great shop that can handle just about anything, and most importantly is willing to communicate. That is worth its weight in gold to me, as in this business, it never ceases to amaze me what people think they can get away with... twilight zone known as the marine business.
Hunter Scott did a number of 31's some time ago, and has not worked on my boat, but is a great guy. He did CAPY, Grasshopper out of Niantic CT, and a few others in the area. He did beautiful work, but I don't think does 31's any longer.
In my mind, I would definitely start with Skip. I like Tom, he has been somewhat communicative and helpful, but I am waiting on some numbers and have been waiting for a bit...

Dug
Al C
Standing Member

Post by Al C »

Dug
My boat is there now having sandy damage repaired. His email was hacked and his new email is tomoakes@holtzboatworks.com.

Al